Planning Mazda5 suspension overhaul

Verwah

:
MX-5, Mazda5
Hey everybody. Getting a 2013 silver 5 very soon. I'd like it to look and handle nicely. I'm going to put on a set of 17" wheels from a 2013 MX-5 club. Here is my shopping list for suspension parts so far based on what I've read here. I'm using specific part numbers.

Bilstein B8 dampers
1x 35-110737
1x 35-110774
2x 24-196550

H&R spring set
1x 52685

Racing Beat rear stabilizer
1x 74104

Moog end links
2x K80867

If you'd do this differently, I'd like to know what and why.

Your suggestions from experience are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you, njaremka, for the advice. List updated!

Last edited:
I would change the Konis out for Bilsteins, and go with the Racing Beat sway bars. Should be a nice set-up.

So Bilstein B4 gets your vote? My MX-5 is on a Bilstein/Racing Beat combo and its great. I thought about going sort-of budget with this project, but at the end of the list the costs have added up. I should probably get the Bilsteins for longevity as this will be my daily driver.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
You can fit the B8 dampers from the 2013 Mazda3. Those will work much better with the H&R springs.

You can fit the B8 dampers from the 2013 Mazda3. Those will work much better with the H&R springs.

Oh, I missed that. Thanks for the tip. I've only been searching the forum for a couple days. If the B8 offers superior performance, I'd def consider it. I'll do a search for the Mazda3 parts.

Seems like the H&R springs will give me a drop of about 1.5" If these parts make it too low I might need the adjustable rear arms.

Last edited:
The H&R springs should be modest for drop, and not add too much camber. There might be enough adjustment in the stock alignment bolts to correct any additional camber.

The B4 struts are a stock replacement, and are not ideal for performance springs. The B6 are designed for performance, and would be the performance upgrade if you were going to keep the stock springs. The B8 struts are designed for performance lowering springs, and would be the best choice for use with the H&R springs.

Understood, thank you. Looks like I'll have to update my list. The more I think about it, the more appealing an actual performance set-up would be. As long as I stay away from race springs, the ride should still be comfortable. I probably shouldn't get any more rate than the H&R sport set.

The springs and Bilsteins will make the car handle amazing. To save a little bit, you might skip the sway bars and see how the springs and struts work out. It would be very simple to add the rear sway bar after the fact. (the front sway bar involves dropping the subframe)

That seems like a plan to me. The B8 suspension is expensive, so skipping the bars for now would be necessary anyway.

Really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Budget to pair with H&R, doesn*t exist. Closest would be Bilstein B4 front + KYB Gas adjust rear (monotube). B4 rears should do ok too short term. It*s not just spring rate, it*s finding the ideal match for your butt dyno.

For H&R, B6 is probably the better match. FWIW, B6 and B8 are identical expect the B8 uses a .5 to 1 inch (?) shorter piston.

Both KYB and Bilstein offer limited lifetime warranty, does it matter (wink).

Last edited:
Budget to pair with H&R, doesn*t exist. Closest would be Bilstein B4 front + KYB Gas adjust rear (monotube). B4 rears should do ok too short term. It*s not just spring rate, it*s finding the ideal match for your butt dyno.

For H&R, B6 is probably the better match. FWIW, B6 and B8 are identical expect the B8 uses a .5 to 1 inch (?) shorter piston.

Both KYB and Bilstein offer limited lifetime warranty, does it matter (wink).

I agree Bilstein B4 with stock springs is a good budget set. Its like half the price of a B6 or B8. It might feel too stock for my preference being OE replacement.

I'm still leaning toward B6 or B8 with the H&R springs. I know there is nothing wrong with mismatching brands front-to-rear but I'd rather have a matched set. I suppose I'd consider the extra piston length of the B6 if I'm going to retain the stock stabilizer bars. It might enable use of more articulation. Since budget is easily blown out, I might just go for the H&R + B6, then do rear bar later on.

Back