2013~2016 Left sunroof open durning rain. Tips to ensure CX5 dries out?

:
2016 CX5 GT
I left the sunroof open yesterday (beautiful day), but then at night there was a bad thunderstorm. I parked under a tree in my driveway which did help to shield the majority of the rain. I used a shop vac and got all of the standing water out. Mostly it was the cupholders, front leather seats and carpet under the front seats. Surprisingly drivers and passengers floor was pretty dry. I'm wondering if the chassis is designed with drainage weep holes, or if the car was tested for this, since it doesn't automatically close the sunroof on car lock, or after so many minutes of shut off.

Anyway after vacuuming up what I could, I thoroughly towel dried everything and used leather cleaner, conditioner and protectant. The car looks nice and clean, but the carpet under the front seats (and the seats themselves) still feel damp. Has anyone tried a product like Damp Rid in a car after something like this happens? The concern is potential mold or odor growth, so I want to try to eliminate moisture. While it smells good now thanks to the cleaning products I used, I can't say it would be that way forever. The tree cover helped a ton... this could have been worse. The damp rid product I am looking at are in tubs, but I'm not sure the tub will fit under the seats, or if I need two, one for under each front seat. I also read someone using hangable damp rid sheets, but I don't know how well that would help being hung up high and so far away from the floor that is actually damp.

Here is a link to what I am talking about, assuming I am allowed to post links: https://www.dollargeneral.com/damp-...gn=Mid_DGE_Shopping+-+SC_General&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any suggestions?

Just leave the car with all the windows down and sunroof open in the sunshine. It'll dry out in no-time. Nothing to worry about since it sounds like none of the electronics were soaked.

Agree. It's a car with leather seats, not a cloth sofa. :D

Done this 3 times now. Car is no worse for wear.

I've had a convertible, a car with T-tops, a truck with a sunroof and my CX-5 with a sunroof.

I've done this will all of them more than once except my CX-5, and that's only because I have not had it that long and have not used the sunroof that much (because I'm paranoid I'll do what I've done before).

I've noticed that when I put sunglasses in that overhead compartment, I've inadvertently bumped the sunroof button and unknowingly cracked it open, only to realize it next time I've walked up to the car. Fortunately, it has not rained with the roof cracked open.

As others have said, they dry out fine.

I don't know why they don't have a warning or automatically close the thing when the ignition is turned off.

Even if it was cloth, same as if they got shampooed, it'll dry if you leave the windows open (assuming no more rain, or a garage lol).

Ok I drove home from work and the seats were a little damp, but I guess in time it will dry out. I might get that damp rid stuff anyway since its so cheap. Might put one container under each seat. If it doesnt work or its too much Ill put them in my damp garage.

I don't know why they don't have a warning or automatically close the thing when the ignition is turned off.

I would not want this. I like to leave it open sometimes. If I'm just running into the drugstore? This would annoy the s*** out of me.
Does any case do this? I doubt it.

Last edited:
I would not want this. I like to leave it open sometimes. If I'm just running into the drugstore? This would about the s*** out of me.

Sure, but there could an an override or an On/Off feature.

The problem may be the carpet + padding. If there is enough moisture in the carpet and padding, it could be extremely difficult to dry. Mold could start growing there, making it a health issue as well.
From your description it sounds like it is pretty damp down there. You can try squeezing the carpet and seeing how much liquid is in it.
I'd try drying it up with a fan or something for a few days. If it does not make a dent, then I am not aware of a way to get rid of the moisture other than taking out the carpet + padding (but maybe there is a way!).

Cars generally don't have much padding under the carpet.
He'll be fine.

I used the shop vac as much as I could. If the weather is nice Ill keep the windows open. If I get that damp rid stuff i will try that.

I took the rear floor mats out, they were damp. Im not sure if I can run them through the washing machine on the gentle cycle. Ill do a little searching on that. The front floor mats werent wet at all. The rain must of blown in hitting the seats and back of the seats mostly which dripped down the the floor below the seats. Luckily were not near the ocean, because a concern would be salt water in the air to cause corrosion on many of the under seat electronics and cables. They all seem ok. If the seats can come out easy that would be the most thorough thing to do in order to blow a fan or really press hard on that floor with the shop vac. The leather is perforated so the water went into the seats padding which is why they feel damp.

To be honest, Im surprised its not worse than it was. I think being under a tree really aided in slowing down how much of a direct hit the car took from water. There was a tornado warning and all, and about 30 miles west there was rotation in the sky (but it didnt touch down).

Volkswagen would close all windows and sunroof if you put the key in, turned it and held it to the lock position. Newer VWs could do that if coded to do it (Euro coding). I think it would be a nice safety feature to have it in the options, kind of in the same area where the door lock behavior options are. Maybe you could say close the sunroof after x minutes, so you could punch in 20 minutes for example. Maybe that wouldnt be so annoying if your just running into a store real quick, but if you get home and just forget, your covered. I certainly could see in the future world of all connected cars, they close up when rain is on the local radar. Or even a sensor similar to the windshield wipers. Oh well.

Heavy lysol on the carpet areas will prevent/kill mildew. Worked for me after a milk opened on the floor.

The carpet is moulded to a plastic liner so providing there are no holes in it, it will sort itself out. Loads of ventilation and use the AC until it*s completely dry as it dehumidifies the incoming air.

I would not want this. I like to leave it open sometimes. If I'm just running into the drugstore? This would annoy the s*** out of me.

Where I grew up, this would get eggs thrown into the car. Where I live now, people aren't as bad, but still.

But it's car carpet, Uno. Mazda isn't exactly using high quality carpet here. It's in no way going to "get foul" like the carpet in your house would.

Get a small dehumidifier and place in car with windows slightly cracked. you will be amazed at the moisture that will come out and it actually gets alot of moisture out of the AC/Heat system if you have any. I've lived in the south long time and you'd be amazed at these high humidity locations how much moisture gets inside a car especially if you ride with windows down.
Lowes or home depot sell small 30 pint models that fit in car easy and don't get too hot.

I used the shop vac as much as I could. If the weather is nice I*ll keep the windows open. If I get that damp rid stuff i will try that.

I took the rear floor mats out, they were damp. I*m not sure if I can run them through the washing machine on the gentle cycle. I*ll do a little searching on that. The front floor mats weren*t wet at all. The rain must of blown in hitting the seats and back of the seats mostly which dripped down the the floor below the seats. Luckily we*re not near the ocean, because a concern would be salt water in the air to cause corrosion on many of the under seat electronics and cables. They all seem ok. If the seats can come out easy that would be the most thorough thing to do in order to blow a fan or really press hard on that floor with the shop vac. The leather is perforated so the water went into the seats padding which is why they feel damp.

To be honest, I*m surprised it*s not worse than it was. I think being under a tree really aided in slowing down how much of a direct hit the car took from water. There was a tornado warning and all, and about 30 miles west there was rotation in the sky (but it didn*t touch down).

Volkswagen would close all windows and sunroof if you put the key in, turned it and held it to the lock position. Newer VW*s could do that if coded to do it (Euro coding). I think it would be a nice safety feature to have it in the options, kind of in the same area where the door lock behavior options are. Maybe you could say close the sunroof after x minutes, so you could punch in 20 minutes for example. Maybe that wouldn*t be so annoying if your just running into a store real quick, but if you get home and just forget, your covered. I certainly could see in the future world of all connected cars, they close up when rain is on the local radar. Or even a sensor similar to the windshield wipers. Oh well.

Why would you put the floor mats in the wash machine? Just take 'em out and spray them off with the garden hose then hang 'em up to dry. Done.

I miss our VW and being able to close all the windows/sunroof with the key, or the keyfob in my case. You still have to remember to close the windows/sunroof yourself though...

Back