Strange intermittent ticking sound (with video)

Hi Everyone

I'm experiencing a strange intermittent issue with my 2013 CX-5 which is slowly driving me crazy but which so far neither Mazda nor my local mechanic has been able to pin down.

The issue is a ticking/clicking sound which seems to come from somewhere under the dash, towards the driver's side. It generally persists for a couple of minutes, then disappears before resurfacing about an hour later. Here's a link to a video I took recently (please excuse the very dirty windscreen):

https://youtu.be/WCqqWCY7BgU

At first I thought it might be an air-conditioning fan blade hitting the guard, but turning off the air-con seems to have no effect. The sound also persists when the car is put in neutral, though it ceases while the car is not moving.

I've shown the video to my local Mazda service center, who tried re-tensioning the cowling nuts and bolts, but this had no effect. I have also sought the advice of an experienced mechanic, who was unsure what could possibly be the cause as there are apparently no moving parts in that section of the car. Tried emailing the video to a number of other Mazda service centers, but none of them had ever encountered it.

I've spent hours on this forum and others searching for clues as to what could be the source of this very irritating issue, but so far turned up nothing. I'm giving the car to a family member in a couple of weeks as I'll be moving overseas for work, so this is my last-ditch effort at getting to the bottom of it. Would really appreciate any insight anybody can provide.

Lol, these are called "rattles". This specific type is a real PITA to localise and take care of, but doable... or you could just increase the music's volume.

Thanks Mazdauser, but I've had a listen to that sound recording and can advise it is not the same noise.

I will try to get a hold of one of those stethoscopes if I have time before I hand over the car to a family member in a couple of weeks.

If anybody has any other suggestions of possible particular sources so I can mention to my mechanic/Mazda, that would be great.

Back