Mazda Dreaming

As for a Speed3, if it won*t allow me to tune it and support 400+ whp, it probably ain*t for me...

I dont want a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt. But once someone makes the electric GTI/Si/ (you get the idea) Id be very interested.

It will be very soon. Decent CUVs, too.

I understand. Some people refuse to own fuel injected cars, Glocks, central heating, etc. Everyone has their quirks.

Never understood the Glock hate. I own several. They aren't the prettiest pistols for sure, I mean a quality 1911 just looks like a damn fine piece of art, but the Glocks are pretty damned reliable which is ultimately what I want.

But I hate wagons, so I understand the notion of everyone having their quirks. ;)

Last edited:
I'm in the not-for-me electric cars as well, for now.
Yes, they have zero emissions, and that's great, but people need to look at the big picture, from start to finish.
For starters, mining the precious metals and materials that go into the motors and batteries used in EV's pollute the planet 10 times worse than mining and refining iron ore.
It also costs a helluva lot more to mine and produce this stuff.
Then there's the end of product life that people and car manufacturers are reluctant to talk about.
Those batteries don't last forever. What happens then? Recycling is all well and good, but that's expensive too, and open for abuse.
(As it currently sits with battery technology, my cell phone battery goes to pot after about two years, and they can't make batteries that I use for my cordless tools last longer than 4.
In the garbage they go).
It's guaranteed that some unscrupulous third world country, and/or shady recyclers, will just dump this stuff in a landfill, or the oceans, and take the money.
As for plugging in and charging up all these EV's on a daily basis, we need to generate the power from somewhere, and that comes from hydro generating plants, which in a lot of countries, are fuelled by coal.
No pollutants there.
This is a simplistic view, and we could get into a lot more detail and discussion, but as someone said above,
until battery technology goes to another level, and that we can get some sort of guaranty that in a few years down the line that we can produce cleaner electricity,
and that we won't be dumping old Nissan Leafs in the ocean, I'll be driving my internal combustion engined vehicle for a while.

They just don*t appeal to me, and I really think they*re more trouble than they*re being given credit for in the long run...

I agree with this. I can see a near future where it turns out these batteries dont have the longevity that was expected, causing their used market to crater, and leaving tens of thousands of owners faced with a $10k charge for a new battery or $3k charge for someone to take it away. And then theres the growing pains of the government trying to regulate the charging network. Yikes. I love tech, but will be driving a Dino-burner for a while.

Interesting listening to the news yesterday with Ford laying off 7000 employees and just a small note that Ford intends to put more focus on full electric cars. This is the exact same thing I have seen mentioned by other car companies in the past several weeks. Audi is ramping up marketing the Audi e-tron (all electric Q5) and Porsche noted a few months ago that the near future Macan will only be available with electric motors. Aston Martin is proudly getting their new Rapide E in the news. Volvo, Jaguar and others are working on a lot of electric options. Just a small hint in the news that Mazda is now working on electric R&D.

As noted earlier I was an absolute no a few months ago. I am still not sure I am that excited about it yet.

At this time the cool electric cars are very expensive. The Audi e tron is said to be about $75K. I have a coworker driving a Tesla 3 long range with about a $900 per month payment if I understood him. Yeah, he got a tax break, but DANG!! that is a lot of monthly payment for a that car. Plus he had to get his garage wired up correctly to charge the car. When he drove it from Atlanta to Chicago it had him on back roads to keep the speeds down to preserve the battery for greater distance. He then had to drive out of the way to a charger and spend an hour to recharge the car to continue. Certainly the amount of chargers are increased substantially if you look at the map on Tesla web page, but still I don't have the patience to wait an hour mid trip for the car to charge when filling with gas using a credit car only takes a few minutes and with the number of stations just off the interstate.

I guess I am a little more on board with electric than I was, but still lean heavily toward the gas power engines for now. But it does appear that car manufacturers, based on news, are really ramping up plans to increase or add electric models.

While the most recent all-electric car releases are becoming more and more enticing, there are still roadblocks that would prevent me from buying one.

Charging times is number one on my list. Until I can get a 200mi charge in 10-15min, I'm out.

Also, an affordable home FAST-CHARGING station is a must for me. I don't want to have to plan my travels around a 10 hour charge times that the typical home chargers now offer.

Lastly, if/when a home fast charger at a reasonable price is offered, how will it impact my electric bill, compared to paying for good old fashioned 87 octane?

Completely agree the cost of the cars needs to come down to where its not more expensive than the ICE equivalent.

Home chargers are still kind of expensive and that might come down a little but I think its mainly the electrical work so probably not too much.

As for cost to charge thats actually pretty small. So it offsets some of the other stuff along with lower maintenance costs.

https://youtu.be/7bIBs8GuUYY

Also wanted to add that the way an electric car manages its battery is much different than say your phone. And they have options, useful for commuters, to only charge to 80% greatly extending the life.

As for end of life I think itll be like car batteries today where the place selling it will *want* your old one so they can recycle the materials to make a new one. Also with scale that cost will come down dramatically.

I do agree right now for long trips its not ideal. But for 2 car households like I said I think it makes sense for commuting. Also short trips arent a problem.

I envision my next car will be electric but whatever we replace the CX-5 with will probably be ICE or hybrid. Thats our road trip car. Im sure eventually we could be a 2 electric car household but that is probably a ways off.

As for end of life I think it*ll be like car batteries today where the place selling it will *want* your old one so they can recycle the materials to make a new one. Also with scale that cost will come down dramatically.

This is one of the main problems I see not being given credit for as a huge problem, or is it being avoided purposely? All I see is more and more pollution to the environment than is being done now. These batteries are way more pollutant to the environment, and they'll be shipped and dumped all around the World.

(cost ($ and environment), longevity, pollution...) - personally wish batteries would take a hike 9save your breathe, I know they're not, nor am I fighting for them too...). I'll never buy one, that is for sure...

Last edited:
Never understood the Glock hate. I own several. They aren't the prettiest pistols for sure, I mean a quality 1911 just looks like a damn fine piece of art, but the Glocks are pretty damned reliable which is ultimately what I want.

But I hate wagons, so I understand the notion of everyone having their quirks. ;)

Glocks were great, until I put a Springfield XDM in my hands. No looking back now...

Glock is just a name that will always sell, doesn't even matter the product they put out anymore, really...

This is one of the main problems I see not being given credit for as a huge problem, or is it being avoided purposely? All I see is more and more pollution to the environment than is being done now. These batteries are way more pollutant to the environment, and they'll be shipped and dumped all around the World.

(cost ($ and environment), longevity, pollution...) - personally wish batteries would take a hike 9save your breathe, I know they're not, nor am I fighting for them too...). I'll never buy one, that is for sure...

I agree for it to be sustainable they have to be fully recycled not just dumped somewhere.

Glocks were great, until I put a Springfield XDM in my hands. No looking back now...

Glock is just a name that will always sell, doesn't even matter the product they put out anymore, really...
Ah. I've tried the Springfield XDMs, I didn't like them. The gen 4 Glocks felt much better in my hands.

Guess it's a good thing there are more than one brand ;)

Ah. I've tried the Springfield XDMs, I didn't like them. The gen 4 Glocks felt much better in my hands.

Guess it's a good thing there are more than one brand ;)

If it doesn*t feel comfortable in your hand, you*ll never use it appropriately. Same goes for a holster, not comfy, you won*t use it...

Springfield fits my hand like a glove, like the CZ too. The Glock falls way back on my list of carries, but she*s above Hi-Point, Taurus, and the Shield. (Lol).

Lastly, if/when a home fast charger at a reasonable price is offered, how will it impact my electric bill, compared to paying for good old fashioned 87 octane?

Comparing gas vs electric cost per mile, electric is much much cheaper. A Tesla Model 3 with the 50 kWh battery for example which is good for 220 miles will cost about $8 in electricity costs (0.15 cents per kWh average). And that range doesn't change between city or highway driving, and arguably city driving will be more efficient because you can take advantage of regen braking. Even a 50 MPG internal combustion car wouldn't come close until gas is less than 2 bucks a gallon.

And then there's reduced maintenance costs (no fluids to change other than brakes, not a lot of moving parts) and instant acceleration, to talk about.

Back