Mazda Dreaming

About a month ago I told a coworker that I had zero interest in an electric car. After watching a number of performance electric car videos I am starting to change my view.

I love them from a performance standpoint as well, but I*ll never own one, or have to, hopefully. Same with self driving cars, I hope I*m dead and gone before forced to be driven. No pun intended...

I dont want a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt. But once someone makes the electric GTI/Si/ (you get the idea) Id be very interested. Reliability? I think will actually be better. As for the battery the technology there is rapidly improving and once they really catch on I think a rebuilding industry will pop up dramatically reducing the replacement costs.

Someone made the comment in another thread about why people like SUV/CUV so much. And they were pointing out the practical quality of life stuff like ingress/egress. I think a similar thing will happen with electric once people realize how much space they get back inside the car. Also everything will be RWD or AWD with a low center of gravity without needing to be low (see quality of life comments).

The part that doesnt appeal to me is Teslas design choices on the model 3 interior. But hopefully someone will figure out electric car doesnt have to mean all controls are on a giant iPad.

I don*t want a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt. But once someone makes the electric GTI/Si/ (you get the idea) I*d be very interested. Reliability? I think will actually be better. As for the battery the technology there is rapidly improving and once they really catch on I think a rebuilding industry will pop up dramatically reducing the replacement costs.

Someone made the comment in another thread about why people like SUV/CUV so much. And they were pointing out the practical quality of life stuff like ingress/egress. I think a similar thing will happen with electric once people realize how much space they get back inside the car. Also everything will be RWD or AWD with a low center of gravity without needing to be low (see quality of life comments).

The part that doesn*t appeal to me is Tesla*s design choices on the model 3 interior. But hopefully someone will figure out electric car doesn*t have to mean all controls are on a giant iPad.

I totally agree with all of this, and understand their appeal and how they probably will catch on to the masses, however, they just aren*t for me. Simply no easy way to explain it, they just aren*t...Never have been, and never will be, hopefully...

I totally agree with all of this, and understand their appeal and how they probably will catch on to the masses, however, they just aren*t for me. Simply no easy way to explain it, they just aren*t...Never have been, and never will be, hopefully...

I understand. Some people refuse to own fuel injected cars, Glocks, central heating, etc. Everyone has their quirks.

A 12 hour drive in a CX-5 would be an 18 hour drive minimum in an electric sedan with little capacity. Until they solve the low range and slow fill-up problem in an SUV, electric is a joke. Even the truck has no appeal.

Those are two things that definitely need to improve. As it stands today if youre a 2 car household, have a garage at home where you can charge, and a commute well within the cars range an electric car makes sense as your second vehicle in my opinion. This would apply to me as my commute daily is around 30 miles round trip.

As a result I think ICE/hybrid and electric will coexist for quite some time after electric takes off.

Anyway speed 3 sounds really interesting but I hope they have plans for hybrid and electric options.

A 12 hour drive in a CX-5 would be an 18 hour drive minimum in an electric sedan with little capacity. Until they solve the low range and slow fill-up problem in an SUV, electric is a joke. Even the truck has no appeal.

Assuming a ~700mi drive, you're looking at 2-3 stops in a gas car, both for fuel and for comfort/food/bathroom/etc. A Tesla with 150kW charging (Model 3 LR, Model S & X 100) will take on a 200mi charge in 30min. So that's 1.5hrs of charging for the trip, time you're probably already spending stopped regardless of how your car is fueled.

Electric vehicles do still have their problems, not least of which are cost and urban charging, but road trips are a solved problem in a lot of areas. The network of charging stations (Tesla Supercharger and generic) is growing fairly rapidly, as are charging speeds.

I like my inline engines as well as anyone, but we're rapidly approaching the point where an electric car can meet the needs of 95% of people, 95% of the time. Sure there will still be edge cases, but for most people those will be served adequately by renting an appropriately-specialized vehicle on that rare occasion.

Back