30 mpg in Yellowstone

Topped off tank with 5 gallons of high test and hit the mountains. Didnt have to use the turbo much but did get 30 mpg. When we were on I 90 and cruising at 88 mph (speed limit 80) with reg. gas, got 22 mpg.
I am so impressed with this engine, 2.0 turbo, and the power and quickness. Seems like I just touched the pedal and at 100 mph. Wife loves this car also (its hers) and also has a lead foot!

2019 CX-5 grand touring reserve. Red of course because red is the fastest!

Last edited:
Man, I've gone through 6 tanks in my GT-R (some 87 octane, some 93) and haven't topped 25 MPG. And I do very, very little "in town" driving. All back-road rolling hills.

My drive to the grocery store is 10 miles at 55 MPH with only one stop sign.
My drive to the bank is 16 miles with only 2 stop signs on the way.
So NO stop & go.

How in the heck did you pull 30 MPG in the mountains???? I don't have a lead foot. Has your mileage improved as you've racked up miles? Maybe I should have bought the red one...

(And before someone else points out the typo, don't you mean 2.5L turbo, not 2.0?)

Last edited:
I wasn't aware Mazda was still producing the 2.0 for the CX-5 let alone throwing a turbo on it !

Topped off tank with 5 gallons of high test and hit the mountains. Didn*t have to use the turbo much but did get 30 mpg. When we were on I 90 and cruising at 88 mph (speed limit 80) with reg. gas, got 22 mpg.
I am so impressed with this engine, 2.0 turbo, and the power and quickness. Seems like I just touched the pedal and at 100 mph. Wife loves this car also (it*s hers) and also has a lead foot!

2019 CX-5 grand touring reserve. Red of course because red is the fastest!

The mileage did surprise me also. It is the 2.0, sorry
If your 2019 CX-5 GTR indeed has a 2.0T turbo, 30 mpg should be very easy to reach with a smaller displacement turbo engine like everybody else is doing.

And if you don't even know how big the displacement of your turbo engine is, it definitely shows you didn't do too much research before purchase. ;)

I wasn't aware Mazda was still producing the 2.0 for the CX-5 let alone throwing a turbo on it !
Mazda still has SkyActiv-G 2.0L available world wide for most of its models including the CX-5. And even in the US, 2.0L is still in CX-3 but had been dropped out from Mazda3.

Knowing Mazda has always been wanting to be different from other car manufactures, using a bigger displacement 2.5L I4, although others have been using smaller 1.5L or 2.0L, to add a turbo definitely hurts the fuel efficiency. I believe it's a mistake and Mazda really should add the turbo to its SkyActiv-G 2.0L like everybody else for similar power increase and much better fuel economy. 2.0L I4 is smoother than 2.5L, and it doesn't need a heavy balance shaft found in our 2.5L!

Topped off tank with 5 gallons of high test and hit the mountains.

Hah, just got back from the same general area. We were a little further north in Pollock Pines. It was a good shakedown round trip of 960 miles, which more than doubled the car's odometer which showed 825 when we left. I didn't bother to reset the mpg average before starting out, which was at 25.7, and now reads 25.0. The highway dept. conspired against our mpg on the way up, we crawled along the interstate for 2 hours at 0-5 mph while a road crew pretended to be working on a paving project. And my lead foot enjoyed the trip back with light traffic, averaging 80 mph for the six hour drive with a few sprints to 90 when the right pack came along where I could drop into the middle and not worry about the Popo. This car has long legs! It's more than happy to run those speeds, not even turning 3k on the tach. Passing is such an easy point-and-shoot affair, the turbo still pushing you back in the seat even at speeds well above the posted 70 mph limit.

My wife had no problem with seat comfort, but I was shifting around after about 3 hours. Not any different than our Accord really, I've had back surgery and don't like to sit anywhere for very long. Her only (minor) complaint was the door pockets, which have an oddly sloped bottom that makes it difficult to hold more than one bottle upright at a time. Overall, I'd say the CX-5 is a quick and quiet road trip vehicle that makes traveling more enjoyable.

We left with 3001 miles on it and now have 6703 with 900 miles to get home. This such fun to drive. The big problem is my wife and deciding who will get to drive. LOL. Our average for the trip so far is 26.7 AVG. MPG. A lot of 90 mph driving across Nebraska & Wyoming. 80 mph speed limit. Our only complaint is the front cup holders. But the turbo makes up for that and it is a 2.5 T. Definitely a difference with high test fuel.

I*ve just toured the highlands of Scotland (about 1600 miles) and averaged 47 mpg. Corrected to US gallons that*s just over 39. The car was loaded to the gunwales.

6-DA47536-E365-4556-A511-B6-BC2-D2-D9-B6-B.jpg

C624931-F-5400-499-A-A364-B3-E83-B2-B36-DF.jpg

I*ve just toured the highlands of Scotland (about 1600 miles) and averaged 47 mpg. Corrected to US gallons that*s just over 39. The car was loaded to the gunwales.

Your license plates are just so much cooler than ours. Very nice mpg as well.

Nice shot!

So your UK version CX-5 can turn on front fog lights without Low-beam headlights on? And DRLs don't include low-beam headlights?

Last edited:
Nice shot!

So your UK version CX-5 can turn on front fog lights without Low-beam headlights on? And DRLs don't include low-beam headlights?

Beautiful country.

Looks like the fogs double as part of the DRLs. That's exactly how US DRLs should look.

Looks like the fogs double as part of the DRLs. That's exactly how US DRLs should look.
Actually it can't be the DRL setup as his CX-5 is parked. ;)

I agree, DRLs would look much nicer in this way. I could be wrong but I believe the international regulation on DRL setup can't be that low at the fog light level.

Very nice! As someone who loves Scotch whisky, Scotland is definitely on my list of places to go.

Just got home, 5022 miles @ 27.5 mpg. 16 states. 12 days. I love this car. The turbo was great, especially in the mountains. Also have found how to get everything working with the electronics. The stereo is awesome!

Could somebody please clarify the 2.0 Turbo thing? Since in North America CX5 is only sold with a 2.5 NA and a 2.5 Turbo.

Back