Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil consumption and poor MPG

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I did it to my last one at 80k. Got rid of it while it still had decent value and avoided the problems.
    Non problematic so far, and it*s already tempting now. Don*t know if this one makes it to 80k. I*d like a little value too...lol

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

This group tends to be a bit trade happy. Itís not a bad thing, it comes with this niche. Figured Iíd throw my 2 cents in for feeling the issue out further before throwing in the towel over a loss of ~2 mpg. My CX5 is my daily driver along with my Odyssey, and I couldnít afford to trade my CX5 in just because itís approaching 100k, lol. When it approaches 10 years of age, sure, Iím shopping to keep things fresh but Iím not there yet.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Yea, I*m trade happy, I just have two 15+ year old autos in the stable, one since new. Sure, I wouldn*t mind replacing one of them, but it*s reliable as all get out, and I*d most likely just be trading for trouble...

I also have been screaming for a Turbo CX-5 since forever ever, and I still ain*t trading, even with the best price in hand on this site by far...

Bye Bitch, she gone...
    Last edited by NelsonLewis; 05-18-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Youíre an odd bird, Nelson lol!

CX-5 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by Dmvanderpool View Post
    2014 cx-5 2.5l fwd 107k miles. Within the last 5 months or so, the gas mileage on my cx-5 has been dropping. Was consistently at 29mpg for over a year but now it's down below 28 and continues to drop. Also within that same time frame, it has started consuming oil. Not sure exactly how much, but dealership said it was "extremely low" several weeks ago. I had been changing the oil myself every 5k miles and it was never low. Dealership changed the oil and replaced #1 ignition coil. I replaced all the spark plugs soon after. MPG is continuing to drop. My first thought was a bad PCV valve but I checked it per Mazda instructions and it passed. What else could be causing these symptoms? Or could the PCV valve still be bad even though it passed?
    1)Carbon buildup on intake valves
    2)Timing chain stretch
    3)Carbon buildup on injectors

Ouf if 3, the easiest one to address is #3. If that doesn't change anything and you'll be looking into #1 - might just as well stretch over and do #2 at the same time.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Actually, that was my first thought...100K? Problems? Boom, you're gone...
    I guess Uno is in good company.

It depends on the type of problems and how much, but I aim to keep cars for as long as possible. A thousand dollar repair bill that may keep the car going for another many years seems reasonable over 100k miles to me. Considering how much you would pay per month for a new car payment makes it absolutely no financial win to dump at that point in my opinion. I suppose maybe if you were still paying on it, I don't know. If you start getting multiple failures and repair bills like that, then sure, that's a problem and dump it.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 05-19-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 81k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12