Trying to Decide Between CX-5 or CX-9

Abuch91

As the title states, I'm in the market for an SUV/Truck that is AWD/4x4 and can tow my small 14' boat.

Pics of boat:

https://imgur.com/QaWvK5V

I'm estimating the total weight is maybe MAX 1,200, and that's being generous.

I really like the CX-5, and its much more in my price range, however I'm concerned it might not be powerful enough to tow the boat. It's about a 10 minute drive from where it is stored, to the ramp. The only thing is, there is a decently steep hill to get out of the park we launch out of.

The CX-5 with the turbo sounds fantastic, but it's out of my budget and I'm looking to buy used. I noticed the CX-9 already has this engine and there are some used 2016+ that I could swing. I don't haul a lot of people, just my girlfriend and my dog. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks

CX5 tows 2,000
CX9 tows 3,500
10 minute drive?
CX5 would get my vote.

I did a quick bit of Googling (never towed anything before), but to my understanding..

The CX-5's curb weight is 3400 to 3600 lbs, depending on the generation. It has a GVWR of about 4400 lbs. If your boat is 1200 lbs, that means your tongue weight is about 180 lbs. At 3800 lbs, you're well below the GVWR, so you should be fine towing with the CX-5, even on a grade. It would be easier with the CX-9, but it isn't necessary, and it's not like you need the extra space. I would just go with the CX-5. You'll save a little money on gas as well.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I tow a 2000lb camper and have driven back and forth ~400 miles and through the poconos to the race track. No issues.

I did a quick bit of Googling (never towed anything before), but to my understanding..

The CX-5's curb weight is 3400 to 3600 lbs, depending on the generation. It has a GVWR of about 4400 lbs. If your boat is 1200 lbs, that means your tongue weight is about 180 lbs. At 3800 lbs, you're well below the GVWR, so you should be fine towing with the CX-5, even on a grade. It would be easier with the CX-9, but it isn't necessary, and it's not like you need the extra space. I would just go with the CX-5. You'll save a little money on gas as well.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sounds legit.

Any mid-size car is capable of towing 2,000 lbs. If you are going long distances over mountains you will want to address transmission and engine cooling. But for your stated use the CX-5 will do the job.
For reference: I regularly tow a slightly larger boat.
When towing a rear wheel drive bias is actually better, but you will not have a problem with the CX-5. Just don't expect it to accelerate up a hill or get very good gas mileage while towing.

BTW: A first generation CX-9 with the 3.7L V6 is a pretty capable vehicle. Just be aware the water pump is an expensive repair by a competent shop. However, if you can DIY a CX-9 needing a water pump might be a great deal.

Back