Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Trying to Decide Between CX-5 or CX-9

  1. #1
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manassas VA
    Posts
    52

    Trying to Decide Between CX-5 or CX-9

    As the title states, I'm in the market for an SUV/Truck that is AWD/4x4 and can tow my small 14' boat.

    Pics of boat:

    https://imgur.com/QaWvK5V



    I'm estimating the total weight is maybe MAX 1,200, and that's being generous.



    I really like the CX-5, and its much more in my price range, however I'm concerned it might not be powerful enough to tow the boat. It's about a 10 minute drive from where it is stored, to the ramp. The only thing is, there is a decently steep hill to get out of the park we launch out of.



    The CX-5 with the turbo sounds fantastic, but it's out of my budget and I'm looking to buy used. I noticed the CX-9 already has this engine and there are some used 2016+ that I could swing. I don't haul a lot of people, just my girlfriend and my dog. Does anyone have any experience or advice?



    Thanks
    2008.5 CWP Mazdaspeed 3
    PG Intake, PG Inlet, Forge BPV, TRZ Poly MM, JBarone Short Shift Plate and bushings, HKS Hi-Flow CBE, Gunmetal Rota Torques, Progress RSB, Apexi TT, JL Subwoofer, H&R Springs, 35% tint, Smoked Fog Overlays

  2. #2
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,909
    CX5 tows 2,000
    CX9 tows 3,500
    10 minute drive?
    CX5 would get my vote.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2016 CX5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    542
    Maybe keep it in sport mode when towing.

  4. #4
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,252
    I did a quick bit of Googling (never towed anything before), but to my understanding..

    The CX-5's curb weight is 3400 to 3600 lbs, depending on the generation. It has a GVWR of about 4400 lbs. If your boat is 1200 lbs, that means your tongue weight is about 180 lbs. At 3800 lbs, you're well below the GVWR, so you should be fine towing with the CX-5, even on a grade. It would be easier with the CX-9, but it isn't necessary, and it's not like you need the extra space. I would just go with the CX-5. You'll save a little money on gas as well.

    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    I tow a 2000lb camper and have driven back and forth ~400 miles and through the poconos to the race track. No issues.

  6. #6
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I did a quick bit of Googling (never towed anything before), but to my understanding..

    The CX-5's curb weight is 3400 to 3600 lbs, depending on the generation. It has a GVWR of about 4400 lbs. If your boat is 1200 lbs, that means your tongue weight is about 180 lbs. At 3800 lbs, you're well below the GVWR, so you should be fine towing with the CX-5, even on a grade. It would be easier with the CX-9, but it isn't necessary, and it's not like you need the extra space. I would just go with the CX-5. You'll save a little money on gas as well.

    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sounds legit.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    MX5

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Glendora
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by kjh1127 View Post
    I tow a 2000lb camper and have driven back and forth ~400 miles and through the poconos to the race track. No issues.
    Is this with the non turbo?

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 (white), 2019 CX-5(red), 2019 Miata (white)

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Abuch91 View Post
    As the title states, I'm in the market for an SUV/Truck that is AWD/4x4 and can tow my small 14' boat.

    Pics of boat:

    https://imgur.com/QaWvK5V
    If that is your Toyota (in the photo), use that as a reference for how much power your Mazda may need.

  9. #9
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    14
    Maybe get the CX-5 in diesel, has more pulling power

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoulcx5 View Post
    Maybe get the CX-5 in diesel, has more pulling power
    Which costs more than every other option that is already out of his price range that has been listed.


    OP. Cx5 will do it for 10 minutes, imo

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    92 MX-3; 17 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    32
    Any mid-size car is capable of towing 2,000 lbs. If you are going long distances over mountains you will want to address transmission and engine cooling. But for your stated use the CX-5 will do the job.
    For reference: I regularly tow a slightly larger boat.
    When towing a rear wheel drive bias is actually better, but you will not have a problem with the CX-5. Just don't expect it to accelerate up a hill or get very good gas mileage while towing.

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    92 MX-3; 17 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    32
    BTW: A first generation CX-9 with the 3.7L V6 is a pretty capable vehicle. Just be aware the water pump is an expensive repair by a competent shop. However, if you can DIY a CX-9 needing a water pump might be a great deal.

Similar Threads

  1. To FC or not to FC....Cant decide
    By ho bag in forum Rotary Mazdas
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 10:32 PM
  2. Can't decide
    By sun1004 in forum Mazda CX-7
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 12:17 PM
  3. Help me decide what next!
    By magnumP5 in forum Protege5
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 03:29 PM
  4. i cant decide...
    By exNeon in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
  5. help me decide.
    By jster28 in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 12:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •