Mazda VS Subaru... Scotty Kilmer Speaks!

geneborj

To all Scotty Kilmer fans and haters here, he finally release his new video with a head to head comparison between Forester and CX-5... Even though he is not a fan of either the two, he picked Mazda in terms of handling and reliability.

Here's the link. SkyActiv beats the old Boxer engine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMM4sKrcWng

Enjoy..

I dont put any value into his reviews honestly. He tends to give more opinions rather than facts based on his years of self proclaimed automotive experience.

He still thinks Mazda and Subaru uses Jatco transmissions....good God....this video is riddled with technical errors its embarrassing.

I wouldnt let him change my oil let alone repair my car.

Last edited:
I have to admit i have never heard of this guy, and after watching him spaz around in front of his garage full of junk, i will never watch him again. I don't know who or how he became anyone that people follow... I guess i just don't understand the internet.

I am not a Subaru fan, but his voting down of the boxter engine because it is an old design, was funny. The inline engine (4,6,8) is older then the boxter, so shouldn't it be worse based on his deep analysis?

Thanks for exposing to another Internet Nut. Painful to watch and listen too.

The description of the video is already throwing red BS flags for me:
"Watch This Before Buying a Subaru or Mazda, DIY and car review with auto mechanic Scotty Kilmer. Subaru car review. Mazda car review. Who makes the worst Japanese car, Subaru or Mazda? Which Japanese car manufacturer makes the most reliable car, Mazda or Subaru? Are Subarus still reliable? Are Mazda cars any good? Which car is worth buying, Subaru or Mazda? Is Mazda a better bargain than Subaru? Car Advice. DIY car repair with Scotty Kilmer, an auto mechanic for the last 51 years."

I usually watch some Savagegeese and Alex on Autos on YT.

I have to admit i have never heard of this guy, and after watching him spaz around in front of his garage full of junk, i will never watch him again. I don't know who or how he became anyone that people follow... I guess i just don't understand the internet.

I am not a Subaru fan, but his voting down of the boxter engine because it is an old design, was funny. The inline engine (4,6,8) is older then the boxter, so shouldn't it be worse based on his deep analysis?

Thanks for exposing to another Internet Nut. Painful to watch and listen too.

This sums it up for me quite well. Except I've stumbled onto his videos more than once, and like a car accident, sometimes I can't look away. But I don't get why anybody would take him seriously.

I have started watching his videos because for some reason I find them entertaining and he puts out about 3 videos a day. But like people have said, he generalizes greatly and most of what he says is opinion and to be taken with a grain of salt. For example he says the Japanese transmission company makes bad transmissions because Nissan has bad transmissions and they were made by Jatco. That is a huge generalization.

I have started watching his videos because for some reason I find them entertaining and he puts out about 3 videos a day. But like people have said, he generalizes greatly and most of what he says is opinion and to be taken with a grain of salt. For example he says the Japanese transmission company makes bad transmissions because Nissan has bad transmissions and they were made by Jatco. That is a huge generalization.

Nissan was part owner of Jatco and Subaru and Mazda did use Jatco trannys years ago, but not in all vehicles. Yet, this clown thinks they still do. Subaru and Mazda went solo with in-house transmissions ages ago.

I was watching a video of his the other night, was comparing Amazon engine oil to Redline oil, said Amazon was the better choice...go figure.

Im not going to watch the video, but I do wonder why everyone always compares the CX-5 to the Forester and not the Outback.

I*m not going to watch the video, but I do wonder why *everyone* always compares the CX-5 to the Forester and not the Outback.

Simply put, both CX5 and Forester are compact SUV-s, as oppose to the Outback - which is a wagon (on AWD steroids).

Without rubbing my nose into details - I'd tend to agree with Scotty. Back in the days when Subarus had a true, full-time AWD even on automatics - they had a good selling point, but ever since adopting the same toy, on-demand AWD like everybody else with the introduction of CVTs - one would be hard pressed to pick a Subaru over competition.

I've mentioned it in another topic - I'm actually considering and shopping to trade my CX5 for a MANUAL Forester. But being manual and having a larger trunk (and having a cleaner under-hood compartment millage for millage VS CX5) are the only things where I'm gaining - loosing massively everywhere else - especially in the handling department.

I have been following the CD problem thread (rocker arm) with some concern since I own a 2018 CX-5. Now this guy mentions engine wear and oil consumption problems with CD. Is that true?

Man quit posting this clown. Old outdated views and opinions disguised as "facts".

Man quit posting this clown. Old outdated views and opinions disguised as "facts".

Which part is "outdated" exactly? He might be outdated in a sense that he looks at cars from the "owner's" perspective in times when the whole market is geared towards a "consumer" with everything being disposable, but other than that - in genera - he actually makes some good points.

Which part is "outdated" exactly? He might be outdated in a sense that he looks at cars from the "owner's" perspective in times when the whole market is geared towards a "consumer" with everything being disposable, but other than that - in genera - he actually makes some good points.

Guess you never saw his SkyActiv video where every criticism he levied against it was based on pre-SkyActiv Mazdas and not the actual SkyActiv Mazdas. He shat all over the CX-5 using what was obviously a story about an old CX-7 as his basis for calling the CX-5 crap. Very misleading.

As for this video, how about incorrect information like claiming they use Jatco transmissions?

Last edited:
You're correct - I haven't watched his SkyActive video - nor I really care to. I could probably make one of my own explaining why the whole Skyactive thing is a pile of bullocks. The 2 cylinders de-activation - 2 out of 4!!!! - on the last gen CX5 - is an idiotic nonsense which goes against all engine design principles. Scotty might be full of $hit and he makes mistakes, but his logic is solid.

You're correct - I haven't watched his SkyActive video - nor I really care to. I could probably make one of my own explaining why the whole Skyactive thing is a pile of bullocks. The 2 cylinders de-activation - 2 out of 4!!!! - on the last gen CX5 - is an idiotic nonsense which goes against all engine design principles. Scotty might be full of $hit and he makes mistakes, but his logic is solid.

Yeah...ok.

You can thank the government for that. It is how a car company complies with the strict emissions standards that get tougher and tougher each year. Other manufacturers such as Honda and Toyota try to comply by using a tiny motor with a turbo charger. Honda also has some models with cylinder deactivation. I am sure Toyota will have it soon too.

Back