Thread: What Is This Symbol?

Registered Member

What Is This Symbol?

2018 CX 5 Touring. On the instrument gauge, the screen that shows how many miles left to empty, there is a symbol just to the right of the miles driven indicator. It is two vertical parallel lines, kind of a miniature version of the lane departure screen. It sometimes lights up and sometimes is off. What is this indicating when on and off?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by tucsondivot View Post
    2018 CX 5 Touring. On the instrument gauge, the screen that shows how many miles left to empty, there is a symbol just to the right of the miles driven indicator. It is two vertical parallel lines, kind of a miniature version of the lane departure screen. It sometimes lights up and sometimes is off. What is this indicating when on and off?
    I believe it to be when the vehicle recognizes there are being lines. It's very bad about doing that, though, and the lane-departure system is crap, as 90% of t he time it's inoperative. Luckily, I do not rely on my vehicle to keep it between the mustard and mayo. I'll leave "died in a fiery crash while watching Harry Potter" to the Tesla fans.

2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I believe it to be when the vehicle recognizes there are being lines. It's very bad about doing that, though, and the lane-departure system is crap, as 90% of t he time it's inoperative. Luckily, I do not rely on my vehicle to keep it between the mustard and mayo. I'll leave "died in a fiery crash while watching Harry Potter" to the Tesla fans.
    That might be it. I will have to watch when it lights up and goes off to confirm. Interesting comment on the lane departure system. On my 2018, I would grade it as working 90% of the time even when painted lines are faded. I do not rely on the system, but it is nice to have.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    That might be it. I will have to watch when it lights up and goes off to confirm. Interesting comment on the lane departure system. On my 2018, I would grade it as working 90% of the time even when painted lines are faded. I do not rely on the system, but it is nice to have.
    My lane indicators tend to go out when I'm going around a sharpish bend, as though the camera loses track of the lines. So you may wish to test it on a winding road.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    My lane indicators tend to go out when I'm going around a sharpish bend, as though the camera loses track of the lines. So you may wish to test it on a winding road.
    Our '19 GT always loses the indicators on even a mild bend in the road. Haven't driven it on highways enough to judge how much of a curve it will tolerate.