Well...that was lame.

AA/ACP would of course be faster and easier to use. The drawback to the Mazda system is how quickly the maps become outdated.

That said, navigating home actually takes 4 inputs if you've assigned a Home address. Press the NAV button, choose "Navigate Home", press to confirm destination, then press again to start. The odd part is that saving Home as a destination in your Favorites doesn't provide any benefit. Still takes 4 inputs to start navigation from Favorites. Ideally, I would just press the * button, then choose Home as a destination. Instead, I also have to confirm the destination, then actually start the navigation.

I'll have to look again. I don't see why it should take more than two. Press Nav. Press Navigate Home. Or better, press the voice button and say "Navigate Home".

Carplay and AA will more or less look the same on the screen come later this year when AA gets a massive update. It will have the individual little icons for the AA apps.

In any case, AA/CarPlay is world's ahead of the Mazda OEM navigation. The only merit it actually has for me is that you can use the navigation even without cell service, but that can be circumvented if you prepare and download offline maps and directions (at least you can on Android phones) before heading out into the wilderness.

In all seriousness, I definitely think there are many areas of improvement for AA, but it's still better overall than the Mazda implementation (which I find adequate).

I'll have to look again. I don't see why it should take more than two. Press Nav. Press Navigate Home. Or better, press the voice button and say "Navigate Home".

Agreed. The extra steps are redundant.

The last press isn't needed on the MZD so it's actually 3.
And you can voice "Navigate Home".

Funny, I found the AA upgrade a complete revelation. I found the Mazda Navigation and voice commands nearly completely useless to the point that I used my Android phone on a window mount.

It takes like 8 button presses just to navigate home on the Mazda system.

I just press one button. AA is such a piece of s*** Im tempted to go iPhone, and I hate Apple.

Its almost like some of you are never early to anything or sit in your car for a few.

In defence of Unob, to the people who said not to play Youtube videos while driving, he never said he DOES watch Youtube videos while driving. I do credit him with more sense than that even though I may not agree with everything he says.:)

In defence of Unob, to the people who said not to play Youtube videos while driving, he never said he DOES watch Youtube videos while driving. I do credit him with more sense than that even though I may not agree with everything he says.:)

Yeah, I'd love to be able to chill in my vehicle while waiting for appointments/businesses to open/etc. and watch YT or whatever like my friends can do in their STi's etc. Is this a Mazdafail or a Androidfail? I don't have an iPhone, so I dunno.

Neither Android nor Apple Car Play permit you to mirror your phone output to your in car screen natively. Period. Fact.
This is not what either of those apps are for. They are designed to make it SAFER to use your phone while driving... not be even MORE of a distraction.
Please show me where Subaru over rode what Apple intended and lets you stream video to the in car dash!?!?
Oy. AA is a piece of s***... because you can't watch a video on your screen? And you'd be willing to switch to Apple for this feature if it was a feature? You'd switch phones... to watch videos in your car?
Sure, I get places earlier... if I want to watch a video while I wait... I can do that. On my phone. Dafuq I need to mirror it to my car for?
Every time I start to think maybe you're not completely clueless... you open your mouth again. :D

Neither Android nor Apple Car Play permit you to mirror your phone output to your in car screen natively. Period. Fact.
This is not what either of those apps are for. They are designed to make it SAFER to use your phone while driving... not be even MORE of a distraction.
Please show me where Subaru over rode what Apple intended and lets you stream video to the in car dash!?!?
Oy. AA is a piece of s***... because you can't watch a video on your screen? And you'd be willing to switch to Apple for this feature if it was a feature? You'd switch phones... to watch videos in your car?
Sure, I get places earlier... if I want to watch a video while I wait... I can do that. On my phone. Dafuq I need to mirror it to my car for?
Every time I start to think maybe you're not completely clueless... you open your mouth again. :D

-Friend's new STI lets him watch YT via the Apple CP app just fine. Great resolution, too.
-Yes, I would switch because of this in part, because it shows just how out of touch Android has become on the software side. Symptom of a problem, not just the problem.
-Wait...you want to talk about you want to watch TV on your phone, yet AA is good because it lets you look at maps on your dash? Well...I wanna do both on my dash.
-You do understand all of the vehicles I've had since 2012 except my Mazdas have allowed me to watch DVD's and other stuff on the main screen, yeah? It's not exactly a novel concept.

PS. It looks like I just need to download another app to get APPLE CP to play movies, etc. Maybe AA is the same? I dunno, but if so that's nice, and they still need to fix their display. It's clunky as hell, minus the voice part.

Last edited:

I think you're getting all twisted up about him watching videos while driving. He's already explicitly stated that he doesn't watch videos while driving, and that it's more for when he's parked and waiting for something. Seems you're getting worked up over nothing.

Uno, I wonder if it's possible that your Subaru buddies cracked AA/ACP to enable Youtube on those apps? Maybe ACP has updated the app to allow YouTube playback and AA hasn't yet? Who knows. It could very well be a fault in Mazda's implementation. *Edit: Posted after you posted the above.

I think you're getting all twisted up about him watching videos while driving. He's already explicitly stated that he doesn't watch videos while driving, and that it's more for when he's parked and waiting for something. Seems you're getting worked up over nothing.

Uno, I wonder if it's possible that your Subaru buddies cracked AA/ACP to enable Youtube on those apps? Maybe ACP has updated the app to allow YouTube playback and AA hasn't yet? Who knows. It could very well be a fault in Mazda's implementation.

It's possible he's running a jailbroke version. He is much more into the electronic and technical things of this world, and I am much more into the mechanical things of this world. Dude can build a desktop PC (I can, too, but not as "completely"), but can't fix a stuck dispose-all, while I struggle with s*** like tethering my phone but can build an M4 carbine from the roll-pins up.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
See anything there that refers to watching video? Or mirroring?
Subaru did not rewrite ACP to enable this. Your friend did something to enable that (yes, probably jail broke it). It is NOT native to ACP. Fact.
Just like you surely could figure out a way to do it with your Android phone if you'd spend some time Goggling it. And I promise it would be easier with Android then Apple because Android isn't as locked down. Also fact.
How out of touch Android is? You are so clueless, it's almost funny.
Please switch to Apple. You're embarrassing me as an Android owner. You no doubt are the Apple type anyway.
I rarely watch stuff on my phone. I clearly said if I wanted to I don't need to on my dashboard... because I have a phone that I can do that on. I don't even understand the mindset of wanting to watch it on the dashboard.
I frankly don't give a s*** that the 2 or 3 vehicles you've owned since 2012 let you watch video in the dash. It has certainly never in history been a common thing... except in minivans. And even then the video isn't ON THE DASH.
I've had exactly zero cars that did this.
Nor did I ever think it was something I wanted even after I had a child.
Please...
Get an iPhone.
https://swappa.com/buy/iphones

Last edited:
Nah. I saw that. And get it. I'm not worked up. I just love to give the self proclaimed troll s*** when he deserves it and frankly I think he deserves it here.
"Android sucks because I can't mirror my phone to my car"
Easily the dumbest thing I've seen him write. Ever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back