2013~2016 2016 Mazda CX-5 LIFTGATE STAY DAMPER Issues

beezeebee

Hello all,
I just discovered my liftgate won't stay open. Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed without having to go to the dealership? Mazda had a recall back in October of 2016 and the dealer replaced the lift support. However, I don't know if this is an issue of the lift support or if it could be something else. I hate going to the dealership, since they always seem to rip me off since I'm a female.

TIA for any tips!

I traded my 2016 in earlier this year, but I had posted on here on another thread that my (already once replaced under the recall) struts were starting to fail...slowly but surely over time the gate opening strength lessened as did the height the struts kept the gate. What was mildly irritating is that my original factory ones never had an issue--probably shouldn't have bothered replacing them until or if they did.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I just discovered my liftgate won't stay open. Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed without having to go to the dealership? Mazda had a recall back in October of 2016 and the dealer replaced the lift support. However, I don't know if this is an issue of the lift support or if it could be something else. I hate going to the dealership, since they always seem to rip me off since I'm a female.

TIA for any tips!

I'm personally not a fan of the new lift struts they installed in the recall. After a year I have noticed they seem to be loosing their strength.

I'd just go ahead and take it back to the dealer.

2013~2016 2016 Mazda CX-5 LIFTGATE STAY DAMPER Issues

I'm personally not a fan of the new lift struts they installed in the recall. After a year I have noticed they seem to be loosing their strength.

I'd just go ahead and take it back to the dealer.
Same here. My replacement liftgate struts are loosing their strength significantly after more than a year of usage. I really regret I listened the service advisor at the time to get the recall done because I didn't like the lowered opening height on liftgate due to the replacement struts.

And I don't think Mazda would do the second replacement for the liftgate struts which were installed during the recall. We should start filing a complaint at NHTSA hopefully it'll initiate another recall on this issue.

Same here. My replacement liftgate struts are loosing their strength significantly after more than a year of usage. I really regret I listened the service advisor at the time to get the recall done because I didn't like the lowered opening height on liftgate due to the replacement struts.

And I don't think Mazda would do the second replacement for the liftgate struts which were installed during the recall. We should start filing a complaint at NHTSA hopefully it'll initiate another recall on this issue.

Yeah, I had zero issue with my old lift struts for years, and they never felt like they were losing their strength. With the new ones, they felt significantly weaker after a year, and I agree the rear liftgate does not open as much as it did on the old struts. Wondering when these new ones will just fail entirely.

The aftermarket struts I linked to in my post (above) restore the opening height to the way it was. Maybe even a little higher. As a 6' 6" tall man I deeply appreciate this LOL

I never did the recall nor do I intend to. My original struts looks brand new and work perfectly. What's funny is that just today I got a reminder notice in the mail that I have not had the recall done! Not gonna happen!

I never did the recall nor do I intend to. My original struts looks brand new and work perfectly. What's funny is that just today I got a reminder notice in the mail that I have not had the recall done! Not gonna happen!
Definitely a right choice!

Would someone with the original struts measure the pivot center to pivot center distance. I have the new shorter ones and I want to find longer struts. Thanks

Would someone with the original struts measure the pivot center to pivot center distance. I have the new shorter ones and I want to find longer struts. Thanks
See post #8 above.

Latest posts

Back