From 225/65R17 to 235/60R18

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
Hi folks,

Just pulled the trigger on a set of tires off from a CX-7. (235/60R18)

The tires on my CX-5 were are utter crap (Weathermaxx from Walmart) and I wanted 18's anyway.

I checked the spec and the fitting should b good. Same offset and same bolt pattern (Mazda OEM wheels came with the tires).

What I was wondering though is what handling difference will I notice on my CX-5 ? The new tires are a bit bigger than the stock ones with the 18 wheels and the 60 profile.

Anyone here made that same switch?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

The tires on my CX-5 were are utter crap (Weathermaxx from Walmart) and I wanted 18's anyway.

I checked the spec and the fitting should b good. Same offset and same bolt pattern (Mazda OEM wheels came with the tires).

What I was wondering though is what handling difference will I notice on my CX-5 ? The new tires are a bit bigger than the stock ones with the 18 wheels and the 60 profile.

Thanks!

You are losing .2" from your sidewall height, so it will be a firmer with less sidewall flex.

You are gaining .4" from your width, so it will reduce fuel economy.

Your overall diameter and revolutions per mile drops 15, so your speedometer error: at 61 mph actual speed, your speedometer will say 60 mph.

Overall it will probably feel a little more sporty for the handling.(canada)

You are losing .2" from your sidewall height, so it will be a firmer with less sidewall flex.

You are gaining .4" from your width, so it will reduce fuel economy.

Your overall diameter and revolutions per mile drops 15, so your speedometer error: at 61 mph actual speed, your speedometer will say 60 mph.

Overall it will probably feel a little more sporty for the handling.(canada)

Nice job.

(I was looking for a golf clap emoticon to insert here, but they're all so damned annoying).

Hi folks,

Thanks!
mazdadude gave you all the differences on numbers.

But you should also check the date code on these tires from a CX-7 as CX-7 has been out of the market for many years. You should also gave us tire brand and model so that we can have better idea on performance differences as tire brand and model would play more roles on this.

Lastly, I'd also get the spare tire from that CX-7 if possible especially if your CX-5 is an AWD. Mazda supplied correct-sized mini-spare to CX-7, but gives CX-5 a spare too small on diameter to use.

Theyre Michelin Primacy MXV4

Theyre dated 3715 so 4 years old.

What I also dont know is if they have the TPMS sensor in them.

About to head out and try to find a garage with slots available today to have em i stalled.

Will report back later.

They*re Michelin Primacy MXV4

They*re dated 3715 so 4 years old.

What I also don*t know is if they have the TPMS sensor in them.

About to head out and try to find a garage with slots available today to have em i stalled.

Will report back later.
Don't believe CX-7 has TPMS pressure sensor inside of its tires. I imagine you have a gen-1 CX-5 and you don't need such sensors like gen-2 CX-5 does.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 should be a good tire but I had bad experience on it with dry rot developing on the sidewall after 3 years of usage. Tire manufactures now give only 6 years on warranty, so you have 2 more years.

It*s my first CX-5 and first car with TPMS technology so not familiar with how it works but I do have the TPMS button along with TCS on the dashboard.

Now, either it doesn*t work at all when no sensors are in the tires or it*s been disabled if that*s at all possible but tires changed and no sign of the TPMS on the screen.

EDIT: Just learned that in 2014 CX-5's, it's a sensor in the ABS system that monitors the tire rotation speed and not sensors between the wheel and the tires.

Last edited:
Well, here are my impressions so far after city and highway driving for about 3-4 hours.

First, I feel I can't compare with the Weathermaxx that were on my CX-5 since they were so crappy, they're not even in the same universe but here's the driving feel I could experience with the Primacy.

The ride is smooth! I feel like having good suspension again. I'd say it's a good mix of sporty firm yet comfy if that makes sense.

Grippy if that's even a word. Even cornering at low speed, you can feel the tires sticking in a good way. And I don't know if it's part of the gripping factor but at first, I thought it needed an alignment but I found out that the tires want to pull the car in the road's tracks/grooves and inclination. I believe I've read somewhere that it's common for wider tires.

So here you go. So far, very happy.

Last edited:
Back