Release date of 2020 model: worth the wait?

CaptainBobbie

:
My Feet
Hey y'all! First post around these parts. I'm very close to buying a CX-5 in the next few weeks (Grand Touring AWD with PP in Deep Crystal Blue so beautiful!). But I'm also flexible.

It seems that the big thing in 2020 will be the SkyActiv-D engine, which, bless its heart, doesn't interest me all that much. Aside from that, I'm not sure if there will be any new, exciting features that will make or break my decision. What does the rumor mill say?

Blue skies,
Robbie

If the past is precedent, the 2020 models won't hit dealer lots until late November, early December. Most rumors about the upcoming year start around late July early August when details start to trickle to dealers. It is too early to really say.

With that said, I have heard some interesting speculation. My service adviser told me that all trims of the 2020 CX-5 will have a turbo engine as an option. But don't take that as gospel, just an interesting rumor he heard from his grapevine.

There is also talk about the infotainment system being upgraded. However, this is to be tempered since there is talk about the CX-9 getting it first.

If the past is precedent, the 2020 models won't hit dealer lots until late November, early December. Most rumors about the upcoming year start around late July early August when details start to trickle to dealers. It is too early to really say.

With that said, I have heard some interesting speculation. My service adviser told me that all trims of the 2020 CX-5 will have a turbo engine as an option. But don't take that as gospel, just an interesting rumor he heard from his grapevine.

There is also talk about the infotainment system being upgraded. However, this is to be tempered since there is talk about the CX-9 getting it first.

that is enough for me to wait..would love a turbo, but don't need top trim line

There will always be a new *something* in the next model year. If youre not in love with the 2019 wait for the 20.

Agree. You*ll never get a car if you wait for the next model year. Just work a good deal for the turbo. The GT with pp awd is not that much cheaper than the reserve.

Wait for the 2020, and if it doesnt excite you, 2019s will be clearance items. Win win.

^^^ This. Usually there are minor changes/improvements between MYs, and I don't think the CX-5 would get a new model refresh so soon. Maybe in 2021. At best it would get a minor facelift. I'd wait for the 2020 MY to be released, and if the new changes don't appeal to you, get the 2019 when the dealers go into lot clearance mode.

Wait for the 2020, and if it doesnt excite you, 2019s will be clearance items. Win win.

Agreed. Nobody knows what is coming with the 2020's yet, but if you are not in a rush, might as well wait and see.

I really doubt that as it runs counter to their whole movement of "luxury" trims like the GT-R and Signature. That said, I hope you are right. Could seriously consider a 2020 Touring or even Sport if it has a Turbo option. But still, huge grain of salt for that one. That just doesn't seem to jive with their current path.

Last edited:
Agreed.
I really doubt that as it runs counter to their whole movement of "luxury" trims like the GT-R and Signature. That said, I hope you are right. Could seriously consider a 2020 Touring or even Sport if it has a Turbo option. But still, huge grain of salt for that one. That just doesn't seem to jive with their current path.

Disagree about not jiving. Having 5 trims is almost certainly not the end game and probably a symptom of their transition. As Mazda creeps up, theyll probably start cutting these base level trims that dont jive with the new luxury brand. So in that sense, turbo would result in all/most of the trims.

So Im not saying the rumor about a turbo option is 100% correct, but I can see it being partially true as they take another baby step 2020.

Disagree about not jiving. Having 5 trims is almost certainly not the end game and probably a symptom of their transition. As Mazda creeps up, theyll probably start cutting these base level trims that dont jive with the new luxury brand. So in that sense, turbo would result in all/most of the trims.

So Im not saying the rumor about a turbo option is 100% correct, but I can see it being partially true as they take another baby step 2020.
Fair enough and that makes sense what you are saying.

To any of my fellow Canadians, I would just add my 2 cents that it will DEFINITELY be worth waiting for the 2020 model.

For the 2019 CX-5s, Mazda Canada decided to gimp the standard American models. Missing a lot of basic and nice features on this side of the border, it was really a shame as this was the car I was waiting for.

2020 will introduce cameras (to the Canadian models) with better resolution (as are already on other models), as well as an updated infotainment system with a much faster processor. See the 2019 Mazda3 for a preview.

I'll be hoping they don't gimp the Canadian models again in 2020, and I can finally purchase one.

Good luck with your decision!

Unless there are drastic updates, I will stick with my 17' GT for now.

Ditto. But I thought the '17 was a significant upgrade over the '15 model and the '15 CX-5 was light years ahead of my '91 B2600i. (mj)

Back