Inner Rear Cargo Door Protection?

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
I know, a minor thing overall, and sure, I could use ties or bungees to better secure anything I might place in the cargo area, but:

I got annoyed by all the relatively minor but slowly building up over time scratches, gouges and scrapes on the inside of my previous CX-5's rear door. In fact, that area by far was where the most wear and tear overall existed when I traded it in. Most of the damage came from luggage, and it isn't always convenient or possible due to security when picking up friends & family at the airport to spend the time securing the luggage properly. Placing the luggage in a particular direction (handle side towards back or wheel side there) also didn't seem to help much. Sideways isn't always possible, size-wise.

I want to stop this from happening to my newer vehicle. Obviously, using a cargo area for essentially what it was designed for will result in exactly this type of wear, but still....seems like most of it might be prevented. An ounce of prevention, blah blah blah....

There seem to be plenty of protective/padding solutions for the actual cargo area itself and even a few for the wheel bump-outs, but I can't seem to find anything generally or specifically made for the inner door trim itself, particularly on the lower part.

Has anyone seen something on the market, or then modded up their own solution? I tend to prefer what I'd call a more elegant solution visually. I'm considering using one of the thicker automobile wraps (like the fake leather versions), but not completely convinced that will offer enough protection. I have some left over fake leather marine-grade vinyl wrap from an unrelated project, and it is fairly dense, though. Thoughts/suggestions?

Not exactly how you were approaching this...I use these to prevent cargo from shifting around in the first place.

CT_Paint.jpg

They don't attach to anything, they just sit on carpet or cargo mats and have no-slip grip bottoms.

You don't spend time securing anything...just put your stuff in and set these down around it to sort of corral it, or in your case shove the luggage against the back of the seat and set these down behind it to stop it from sliding backwards.

I use them when I go grocery shopping to stop things from spilling out and to hold milk & such upright (darn plastic bags). I make sure the bottled stuff and bag openings are upright, and set these around the perimeter of the stack.

Another thought might be one of these:

71tbmnsvS8L._SL1000_.jpg

Just stand one or two suitcases (or whatever) upright in it as a barrier and throw the other ones behind it. And it may provide its own protective barrier of a sort. They're cheap enough and quick to connect...and they can store anywhere.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Yup, I have a horizontal flat cargo net, which definitely is a must for groceries and other miscellaneous smaller items. Love the fact that at least the new OEM version has clips to close it shut instead of just allowing things to slide out as my old one did (can't remember it was OEM or not).

And I have used boxes or other containers to hold smaller heavier items like paint cans or gallon jugs of things. Also have used the built-in hooks with bungees to hold down certain items to prevent shifting.

Love your suggestion to use one suitcase positioned horizontally closer to the back as a barrier to the rest in front of it. A nice simple solution! Typically, people will have at least one smaller one that will fit in that orientation. Just concerned about the remaining depth for the other suitcases as passengers mean the rear seats can't be pushed forward.

There can't be a single solution for all situations of course, which is why I have been mentally more focused on protection for the rear inner trim.

Thank you!

Yup, I have a horizontal flat cargo net, which definitely is a must for groceries and other miscellaneous smaller items. Love the fact that at least the new OEM version has clips to close it shut instead of just allowing things to slide out as my old one did (can't remember it was OEM or not).

And I have used boxes or other containers to hold smaller heavier items like paint cans or gallon jugs of things. Also have used the built-in hooks with bungees to hold down certain items to prevent shifting.

Love your suggestion to use one suitcase positioned horizontally closer to the back as a barrier to the rest in front of it. A nice simple solution! Typically, people will have at least one smaller one that will fit in that orientation. Just concerned about the remaining depth for the other suitcases as passengers mean the rear seats can't be pushed forward.

There can't be a single solution for all situations of course, which is why I have been mentally more focused on protection for the rear inner trim.

Another thought came to mind.

There are two Cargo Cover clips mounted on the cargo door. You could fashion a piece of carpet or other protecctive material (cut to cover the inside of the door) to hang from these. If you wanted to leave this on 7x24x365, you would have to find a way to attach it to the bottom of the door (Velcro?) so that it did not hang in your way whenever the door is open. Or you could just roll it up to store it and hook it on when you needed protection.

I want to stop this from happening to my newer vehicle.
Noticed you have replaced your old 2016 CX-5 GT with a new 2019 CX-5 Signature, congrats!

I don't believe Mazda has added the hooks to gen-2 CX-5 for vertical net, right?

Any plan to replace your Bose apeakers like you did on 2016 CX-5? :)

Avoidin Deer, you may still be onto something, even if the extra hooks aren't present on the 2nd Gen....I could use some automotive grade Velcro and just attach some type of black padding material to the lower (when closed) inner gate trim area. Easier than using the wrap, as nothing has to be disassembled.

yrwei52, yup, thank you--I bit. ;) With the 2017 and even more through to the 2019 Signature, a lot of the little things I was originally less than thrilled with on my 2016 were answered by Mazda (no true rear vents, no rear USB charging ports, no AA/CP, no OEM subwoofer, muddy front sound, etc etc). No anticipation that I need to touch the factory system or speakers at this time in the newer car....it completely meets my needs in regards to a nicely filled out soundstage with a non-overwhelming subwoofer. Very happy overall. The ride feel and road noise difference alone is significant, not to mention the extra (smooth-feeling) power from the 2.5T.

Avoidin Deer, you may still be onto something, even if the extra hooks aren't present on the 2nd Gen....I could use some automotive grade Velcro and just attach some type of black padding material to the lower (when closed) inner gate trim area. Easier than using the wrap, as nothing has to be disassembled.

Congrats on the Signature. That turbo is nice, huh?

I bought a Reserve and looked at all sorts of stuff for the cargo area.

The Weathertech cargo mat I installed has a pad that unrolls to cover the rear end and down over the bumper.

I bought a pocketed storage unit that hangs over the rear headrests (to hold flares, paper towels, first aid kit, etc) and a cheap cargo net to hang over THAT unit for the ad-hoc stuff. Then I got those Weathertech plastic stands.

I'm still holding on to my pickup truck, but have a hitch on the CX-5 I can pull my utility trailer with and and mount a cargo rack on. Where I live, you take your own trash to drop-off points. I just have not decided I want to do "that" with my Mazda yet. And the truck is paid for.

So much to do when you get a new car....

But that's part of fun having a new car ... :)

It's crazy.

When I bought my Bugeye, my first order to J.C. Whitney was more than I paid for the daggone car!!!

It had a factory hardtop but no rag top, so that was the bulk of my Whitney order. Plus I needed a carb synchronizer. And those chrome air filter covers for the S.U.s...

But that's part of fun having a new car ... :)

I went a bit hog wild in the first weeks after getting my current vehicle, adding in accessories I had slowly added to my last CX-5 over time. A couple neighbors thought I was insane for dismantling interior trim in a less-than-a-week-old car to re-install my front/rear dash cam. But, you get used to certain things (like the cargo net) and while not life or death, you definitely do better with them. Or, at least that's my argument to myself (wink)

Thanks again, guys, for the suggestions!

Back