Rear seat rattle

Has anyone sat in the rear passenger seat, behind the driver, and noticed a pretty bad rattle?
It's almost like Mazda never tested this vehicle.
Ugh, it's annoying as hell, and the dealer says all their cars do this.

What year and trimline? There's a TSB for certain 2019 CX-5s regarding a noise from the rear due to a too close tolerance between the muffler hanger bracket and the car's hanger rod. However, I've heard nothing about a common issue across all cars--sadly sounds like a dealer who just doesn't want to be bothered trying to figure out what's happening with your vehicle.

Check between the seats for anything stuck in there that can press against metal. I had a rattle in my passenger seat, had the dealer check it when I had it in for service. They couldn't find anything. Ended up taking the seat out and I found a very thin CD case wedged down between the seat and the guide.
Guess that tells me what the dealer did.

What year and trimline? There's a TSB for certain 2019 CX-5s regarding a noise from the rear due to a too close tolerance between the muffler hanger bracket and the car's hanger rod. However, I've heard nothing about a common issue across all cars--sadly sounds like a dealer who just doesn't want to be bothered trying to figure out what's happening with your vehicle.

Here are reference numbers for that.

Nov 5, 2018
NHTSA ID Number: 10152373
Manufacturer Communication Number: DRW16

Dealer Rework (DRW) 16 ? 2019 CX-5 (KF) Interference of Silencer Hanger: We are writing to inform you that certain 2019MY CX-5 vehicles, may be affected by the concern mentioned below. Vehicles affected by this DRW will be visible in eMDCS on November 06, 2018. The VIN list of affected vehicles for DRW16 will be uploaded to MGSS along with Parts and Warranty Information on November 06, 2018. Affected vehicles are expected to arrive at your dealership starting November 06, 2018 and as of today most vehicles are not assigned to any dealership. Certain subject CX-5 vehicles may exhibit an abnormal noise from the left rear side of the vehicle when driving on a bumpy road. Causal factor: The exhaust hanger bracket on the left rear side of the main silencer and the hanger rod mounted on the body side may interfere between each other due to narrow gap. Action Required: Please hold the affected vehicles in inventory until the inspection and/or repair procedure has been performed. This DRW must be performed before the vehicle is sold and is a requirement for a New Car Ready Claim.

Feb 13, 2019
NHTSA ID Number: 10154449
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-009-19-3572

Some customers may notice a rattling noise coming from the left rear of the vehicle while driving on bumpy roads. The noise may be caused by interference between the left rear hanger bracket and the hanger rod, due to a lack of clearance. The shape of the left rear hanger bracket has been changed.

I didn't see anything noted about specific trims, but am not familiar enough with these to know if I should expect to. As you stated, the NHTSA site says that only 2019 CX-5s are affected by this...no other years or models. But the issue should have been fixed before they left the dealer lot, because of when the issue was caught.

Has anyone sat in the rear passenger seat, behind the driver, and noticed a pretty bad rattle?
It's almost like Mazda never tested this vehicle.
Ugh, it's annoying as hell, and the dealer says all their cars do this.
Yes...my 2019 does it...more in the upright position than the reclined position...only when someone is sitting in the seat. You can grab the seat back and move it forward & backward to produce the sound. I’m not sure how it can be fixed, but it sure is annoying. The right side seat is not nearly as noticeable.

Same issue here, 2020 CX-5 Touring. As Spunky said, you can produce the sound moving the seat forward & backward and is also noticeable mostly when someone is sitting there. I tried with some insulation material but the gap is too big.. Has anyone had some luck?

Same issue here, 2020 CX-5 Touring. As Spunky said, you can produce the sound moving the seat forward & backward and is also noticeable mostly when someone is sitting there. I tried with some insulation material but the gap is too big.. Has anyone had some luck?
You guys should contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and file a complaint. You should also log the complaint at NHTSA website. These may bring up Mazda’s attention and they may start to look into the problem.

I can't believe more people haven't complained about this problem...especially since the dealer told me that "all of them do it". The noise is due to excessive clearance between the D ring and the latch and I don't see any way to make an adjustment. Repairing it is not a big priority for me until someone sits in the back seat...then it annoys the heck out of me. I had thought about slipping a piece of tubing over the D ring to close the clearance and dampen the metal on metal sound. I'll try it this weekend and report back if successful.

The back seat in my '92 Jeep Cherokee is a little bit different design...uses a cam inside of a cup to latch the seat in the upright position. Jeep was even smart enough to mount a plastic/rubber piece on the cam so that there would not be a metal on metal rattling noise. Problem was that with enough use, the cover would fall off and get lost.

Back