Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda developing staight-six engines

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    https://www.newcartestdrive.com/revi...an-pathfinder/

"The Nissan Pathfinder offers almost sedan-like acceleration. The 4◊2 models with the manual transmission are capable of 0-60 mph acceleration times of only 7.6 seconds. Our SE 4◊4 was equipped with the automatic transmission. Nonetheless, with 240 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, it produced 0-60 times in the mid-8 second range, vastly more spirited than most foot-dragging SUVs. Throttle tip-in was a bit sensitive, however, so we had to train our feet not to lurch away from intersections."

That CX-9 would've won in a drag race if they wanted to.
    The "rolling start" 0-60 numbers for a CX-9 are in the mid 7's. That's actually not too much slower than the 0-60 times, which is pretty good, especially for a turbocharged engine.

However, if the CX-9 was not in first gear, it is entirely plausible that it would lose to a pathfinder over a short distance (crossing an intersection), since there would be time lost until the transmission downshifted.

2018 Mazda6, CX-9

I believe Mazda is in the works of switching to RWD platforms, at least with the Mazda 6 and CX-9. This to me is the obvious conclusion with the development of an inline 6 from a small automaker. This makes perfect sense for Mazda who prioritizes driving dynamics. Why continue with FWD architecture? Especially when most people in the northern hemisphere are opting for AWD. FWD just isn't the necessary thing it used to be.

Ford even made this move with the best seller Explorer. Dynamics will be better and the proportions are fantastic with the short front overhang. Imagine how fantastic the next 6/CX-9 would be on a RWD platform powered by a straight 6! Or what might be a pipe dream: A turbo version of that inline 6 in either vehicle. Holy crap!
    Last edited by JPL; 05-16-2019 at 11:05 PM.

2018 CX-9 Signature
    2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve

Registered Member

Iím not sure converting their current architecture to RWD makes sense. Too costly. Also, they have made no mention of this.

Registered Member

I wonder if making an in-line 6 is cheaper to develop than a V6 since they already have advanced plans and engines in place as in-line 4ís. Iím not an engineer, but maybe itís easier that way than engineering a SKYACTIV V6?

With these oversized hood lengths, we know it would fit.

Honestly, I wish Mazda would concentrate more on interior space. Thatís a major detractor to many of their offerings. They are just too small.

2018 Mazda6, CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by Aviboy97 View Post
    Iím not sure converting their current architecture to RWD makes sense. Too costly. Also, they have made no mention of this.
    We'd be talking about the next generation arcitecture, so a RWD switch would be reasonable. Just speculation at this point but it just seems to make sense with them going to a straight 6. While they have been used with FWD arcitecture, it's just not typical.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    We'd be talking about the next generation arcitecture, so a RWD switch would be reasonable. Just speculation at this point but it just seems to make sense with them going to a straight 6. While they have been used with FWD arcitecture, it's just not typical.
    That presentation, on other pages, talks about Mazda's strategy for the next 100 years. While that is a rather long time horizon, their immediate goal for the next 15 years is to greatly increase the average selling price of their cars. In that light, a switch to a more "premium" drivetrain layout (front engine, inline 6, RWD) makes complete sense.

I hope they pull it off. Mazda has always made nice driving cars. A RWD Mazda sure sounds nice...

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Aviboy97 View Post
    I*m not sure converting their current architecture to RWD makes sense. Too costly. Also, they have made no mention of this.
    Implementing a straight 6 into FWD format? They will realize minimized returns in terms of luxury status rep they're trying hard to attain. The industry never received FWD v6 honda/acuras as true entry luxury contenders. The press would eat up an inline-6 FWD mazda alive.

Registered Member

2017 Crystal Mica Blue GT CX9

I believe Mazda is in the works of switching to RWD platforms, at least with the Mazda 6 and CX-9. This to me is the obvious conclusion with the development of an inline 6 from a small automaker. This makes perfect sense for Mazda who prioritizes driving dynamics. Why continue with FWD architecture? Especially when most people in the northern hemisphere are opting for AWD. FWD just isn't the necessary thing it used to be.

Ford even made this move with the best seller Explorer. Dynamics will be better and the proportions are fantastic with the short front overhang. Imagine how fantastic the next 6/CX-9 would be on a RWD platform powered by a straight 6! Or what might be a pipe dream: A turbo version of that inline 6 in either vehicle. Holy crap!

A twin Turbo I-6 "Mazda Speed 9" to compete with the Acura MDX SH-AWD with the torque vectoring would be a thing of dreams!

At the very least, they have the space for it with the current CX-9 hood. My guess is it is a N/A iteration of the HCCI, with cost reductions from the removal of the c-EGR, turbos and inter-cooler and probably targeting better reliability and multi emissions capability. The other thought is they may be gearing for the return of a small pickup in the US eg. replacement of the BT-50

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Signature

Came from the BMW I6. The B58 was one hell of an engine for a DD. I miss that engine and the thick Nappa wrapped M Sport steering.
    Definitely great news for us that Mazda is going to have their own I6.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT

Looks like Toyota is subsidizing the development of this engine:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/20/...gine-platform/

Registered Member

cx9

I wonder about mpg. You already know the hp and tq will be good based on the n/a fours. Figure 220 to 290 depending on how they stroke/bore them.

Guessing it will do really good mpg numbers with those funky partial fill combustion chambers and being even less loaded because sharing work among more cylinders. Looking forward to 2022, will be interesting to see.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 GT

Have you ever driven in inclement weather with a RWD vehicle?

AWD > FWD > RWD ... actually if it's snowing, you're better off not driving an RWD.

2018 Mazda6, CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Have you ever driven in inclement weather with a RWD vehicle?

AWD > FWD > RWD ... actually if it's snowing, you're better off not driving an RWD.
    I did own one for a while here in New England. I even ran it without proper tires and it was a disaster. However, with winter tires, you'd be fine. I understand most people don't like to switch to winter sets though.

What I'm saying is that people will be getting the AWD version in the north anyway. I will concede that there's going to be the buyer that just wants a more basic FWD car for as less money as possible that will get the job done in the winter.
    Last edited by JPL; 06-27-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

When I ski in Austria I see a lot of RWD Mercedes & BMWs. Of course, they all have four winter tires.

Registered Member

CX9

I posted on this topic elsewhere on this forum. Based on my experience driving fully tracked armored vehicles in severe weather conditions it's my opinion that 4WD/AWD systems in today's cars are highly overrated. Most people regardless of geography don't need it; safer driving tactics and perhaps winter rated tires are probably a better and less costly strategy. But if you've convinced yourself that you 'need' AWD you likely won't be satisfied without it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast