Mazda Drive Experience?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
So a couple of weeks ago I got an email invitation to attend the Mazda Drive Experience. It's a one day event, where I'd be given the opportunity to test drive the new 2019 Mazda3, MX-5, and CX-5 Turbo on a closed course. Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to attend due to a last minute trip to Hawaii.

I was just curious about this event as I've never heard of it before and a quick Google search leaves me empty-handed. Is it limited to Canada only? Maybe it's called something else in the US? I would have really liked to experience the MX-5 on a closed course, but I guess Hawaii's ok too. :p

My previous car was Mazda one. Unfortunately, I had to sell it. But I still remember those feelings...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for the Mazda experience. I was underwhelmed with the Mazdas for the most part especially the tech. The Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Smart Brake Support etc. failed. The wide display is fugly in a different way from the initial display in the 2014-2018s. HD traffic has also been removed if you get the tech package.

And I can't remember which models exactly, CX3, CX5 or CX9 but Mazda has had engine issues in many of them. Time to look at Honda or Toyota.

The safety systems in my CX-9 and many others with different Mazdas work perfectly fine. Can't say the same for the BMW X3, which advertises pedestrian detection but barrels right into them when tested.

If you're talking about the cylinder deactivation issue, it is specific to the 2.5 N/A engine with cylinder deactivation. Mazda has already issued a recall with a fix, and so far it seems that the fix solves the issue (though it seems some people don't want to trust the fix).

Buy whatever you want, but no automaker is perfect. Honda's 1.5T engine suffers from potential oil dilution problems, and at the time of this post, the company is only offering support to those in colder climates. Everyone else is SOL. The support includes a hardware fix and a software update, but apparently even those who have had the hardware and software updated are still reporting oil dilution issues, to which Honda is replying with "a little OD is normal". Toyota's RAV4 recently had an issue exposed regarding crash avoidance. Apparently the car does not respond well to the "moose/elk/kangaroo test", while the CX-5 does great.

Back