converting AWD to 2WD...at dealer now could use some help ASAP

:
08 cx9 grand touring
Dealer pulled transfer case and said tranny splines are shot. THey want to put i back together with the old Transfer case and I'll drive it out the same way I drove it in pissing away the labor. They said the new transfer case would do nothing

Someone mentioned in another thread to leave the transfer case out to change from AWD to FWD. So I mentioned that to them and they said that would never work.

Has anyone done this and if so what exactly is the procedure.

Car in shop now and they're waiting on an answer as to put it back together ot have it towed.

Called a tranny shop and I'm at $3500 for a tranny rebuild, plus the transfer case, plus the labor I'm out at the dealer.....sucks all around.

Converting to 2WD sounds way better

If the transfer case was out and I could mess around with the drive shaft and axle and whatever else is involved, that seems way easier than messing around with removing the transfer case by myself if its already out at the dealer

2008 CX9

Last edited:
Dealer wont let it leave the shop without it going back together. So I'm screwed on that end

Looking for the step by step procedure to convert to 2wd. Thanks

If your splines are really shot and all else is working then by default you are 2WD now. Basically the transfer case is no longer functioning, as far as I understand it, because it's no longer being driven by the transmission due to the destroyed splines. You're just going to be hauling around the weight of the transfer case and driveshaft, both of which are now useless. The other option would have been to leave the transfer case out and put the passenger front drive shaft back without the transfer case in place. Since the dealer would not do that it doesn't matter anyway.

If it drives OK now just leave it that way.

If your splines are really shot and all else is working then by default you are 2WD now. Basically the transfer case is no longer functioning, as far as I understand it, because it's no longer being driven by the transmission due to the destroyed splines. You're just going to be hauling around the weight of the transfer case and driveshaft, both of which are now useless. The other option would have been to leave the transfer case out and put the passenger front drive shaft back without the transfer case in place. Since the dealer would not do that it doesn't matter anyway.

If it drives OK now just leave it that way.
Something is clunking bad. Dealer couldnt give me an exact reason why after taking it for a test drive. I have a feeling they never even test drove it.

So even if the splines on the transfer case are gone couldnt the clunking be from the rear driveshaft spinning the transfer case and maybe there is internal damage to the transfer case?
If so, and I dont know if thats the case, Wouldnt I need to remove the transfer case?

If the driveshaft is the cause then just remove it and that'll be all you need to do. That will completely decouple the transfer case as the input and output shafts won't be spinning.

yes if the internal of the transfer case is shot, the transmission may be turning it a little even if the splines are shot. Either at some point the splines are going to be completly shot and you won't hear it anymore or you take it to an indy shop that will take less than 3 hours to remove everything and won't charge you an arm and a leg.

According to the dealer the spines are completely gone in the tranny. He said he rubbed his fingernail in there and it was smooth and there is no way a new transfer case would engage as there is nothing left to mesh with the transfer case gears.

So I guess if I just disconnect the driveshaft and the transfer case will just dead weight sitting there.

Of course the dealer first said that the splines were worn down but the transfer case WOULD work and engage but is on its way out and when I asked how long it would work for he said maybe 10,000 "no way to know for sure". Then when I pressed him a little further he said let me take a look myself, he called back 10 minutes later and said there were zero splines left in the tranny.....so how did it go from being worn but working to zero splines and no chance it will engage in a 10 minute period.....Totally BS'in me and I believe not a word they're telling me
I also asked for a picture of the splines while the transfer case was out and "they forget" to take a picture.....useless lying dealer

I hope that removing the driveshaft does the trick for you. Gotta love the dealer experience, it's amazing how incompetent they can be. Add lazy into the mix and it's a deadly combination.

I just spent an hour in my driveway removing the rear drive shaft ( 9/16 bolts and nuts, bring a breaker bar). I drove around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes, and at 40mph at most. There is a gravel parking lot where I tried to induce an AWD situation by doing some tight turns with moderate throttle, and even parked a rear wheel in a large pile of leaves so that when I started from a dead stop, with a little front wheel spin, I thought any other time AWD would kick in. I have NO indication of problems, sounds, warning lights, etc. I didn't try an ABS panic stop.

'08 CX-9 with a bad carrier bearing (among other issues)

ABS panic stop won't change anything between 2wd and awd, awd won't engage with that. The awd is useless if you don't have snow. The only time i wish i had awd during summer was when i was on grass with a heavy rain on a slope and i was pulling a tailer, couldn't get it up the hill, that and heavy mud but otherwise you don't need the awd if you don't have snow.

Back