Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight 6 skyactiv-x engine in development

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

And with all these skateboard style EV I think RWD is generally going to make a comeback.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring

Don't forget CD. That's working out real well.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
    Don't forget CD. That's working out real well.
    I sincerely hope it comes without it...

Registered Member

'14 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    According to what Iíve heard, this engine will be the 2.5 with two more cylinders added , modular style. So it comes out as a 3.0 liter.

It will be intriguing. The SA 4 bangers are already smooth running. A six should be sweet
    2.5L with two more cylinders would make a 3.75L. I think you meant 2.0L? But I agree completely, an inline 6 would definitely be sweet. The inherent balance of an inline 6 feels so refined. The NA 3.0L inline 6's from BMW are fantastic. Good low end torque, and the power delivery is very linear all the way to redline. They sound great too.

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

Had an inline 6 with Overhead Cam in my Pontiac Firebird. Great engine except for the fact that it burned oil.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by jcrout7992 View Post
    2.5L with two more cylinders would make a 3.75L. I think you meant 2.0L? But I agree completely, an inline 6 would definitely be sweet. The inherent balance of an inline 6 feels so refined. The NA 3.0L inline 6's from BMW are fantastic. Good low end torque, and the power delivery is very linear all the way to redline. They sound great too.
    Yea itís certainly 2.0 not 2.5 meaning 3.0.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

According to what Iíve heard, this engine will be the 2.5 with two more cylinders added , modular style. So it comes out as a 3.0 liter.

It will be intriguing. The SA 4 bangers are already smooth running. A six should be sweet

Straight 6 engines are inherently smoother than an inline-4. More power and smoother delivery= 2 luxury check-boxes to mark off.

I'm thinking N/A output like E46 BMW M3 power (300hp) but at near skyactiv 2.5l mpgs. It's been a while since they had a car with 0-60 in mid 5's...this would be it.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Straight 6 engines are inherently smoother than an inline-4. More power and smoother delivery= 2 luxury check-boxes to mark off.

I'm thinking N/A output like E46 BMW M3 power (300hp) but at near skyactiv 2.5l mpgs. It's been a while since they had a car with 0-60 in mid 5's...this would be it.
    I wonder, is the skyactiv-x considered naturally aspirated? It has an electric supercharger but its more for keeping the air at the optimum ratio than increasing power.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

From the standpoint of power and displacement? The 2.0 Skyactiv X is higher than a typical NA but not as high as forced induction would typically be. So ..... I guess closer to NA from a specific output but probably itís own thing.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

According to what I*ve heard, this engine will be the 2.5 with two more cylinders added , modular style. So it comes out as a 3.0 liter.

Coming from Honda/Acura I thought there was something wrong with my 2018 CX-5 2.5NA when I picked it up from the dealer. The salesman offered to fire up another engine to assure me that the noise (standing outside the vehicle) was normal for Mazda. Inside sounds find with the isolated cabin. If this is smooth, what is rough? All my other cars have been non-Mazda Japanese except for a German diesel which I expected to be rough, so maybe my perceptions are skewed.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Youíre probably just hearing the injectors. DI motors, especially on cold start, are kinda noisy. I think whatís being referred to is smooth from a vibration standpoint.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring, 2016 Mazda 6 Sport

Kind of funny how Jalopnik uses the article to take a swipe at Toyota's lack of engine development for the Supra...but why were they surprised? Toyota has been doing this for years now: using partnerships to cheap out of developing their own stuff, and everyone knows that Toyota's response to the Supra dissenters who criticized them for using the BMW inline six, that it would cost to much in time and R&D was a cop out to save face. We all know the real reason Toyota didn't develop their own engine for the Supra: they cheaper out, they are the largest auto maker in the world, they could have afford the R&D and time to create their own engine and absorbed most of the rising cost from it. Yet it was cheaper, easier, and much quicker to leech off of what BMW has already developed.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by cburrell View Post
    much quicker to leech off of what BMW has already developed.
    Yep, seems to be the trend for several manufacturers. How many brands/trims now use ZF transmissions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

On another note, it seems like most other manufacturers are focused on pure electric for the near future and some are getting very aggressive to rival Tesla for long range and good looks. To me THIS would have been a bigger news reveal in the recent email than the diesel and yet I had to search to find out if Mazda is even working on an electric option. At least some are starting to realize that a car doesn't have to look weird like something out of Dr. Seuss just because it has a hybrid or electric badge.

2016 Mazda CX-5

A Mazda straight 6- I WANT IT! My E36 BMW had a straight six and it was smooth and zippy. A Mazda sedan with a straight six would be so awesome.

As for the new Supra, I was a little disappointed to see Toyota use a BMW engine instead of creating their own successor to the 2JZ. I wouldn't even mind if they shared a BMW platform, but I really wish it would've been Toyota powered. I've always been very fond of Toyota, and I still like the new Supra, but both of their sports cars are made by someone else, the 86 by Subaru and the Supra by BMW. And even the Yaris, which is a fun small car is a Mazda. They are too focused on Rav4s, Camrys and Corollas.

But the new Corolla looks decent, a huge improvement over the outgoing model. And you can still get it with a stick

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Coming from Honda/Acura I thought there was something wrong with my 2018 CX-5 2.5NA when I picked it up from the dealer. The salesman offered to fire up another engine to assure me that the noise (standing outside the vehicle) was normal for Mazda. Inside sounds find with the isolated cabin. If this is smooth, what is rough? All my other cars have been non-Mazda Japanese except for a German diesel which I expected to be rough, so maybe my perceptions are skewed.
    My sound is mostly the injectors that stand out. That said if you had an inline-5 VW engine...the skyactiv inline4 is a smoother version of it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast