Oil Consumption or incorrect capacity listed?

Henry1966

:
2018 cx-5
Hello - 2018 CX-5 purchased with 4k on it - drove until required oil change with 0W-20...drove for approx 3800 miles and low oil light came on...added a quart and was ok until next change but I was determined to ensure it was not a leak...took of the plastic skid plate and cleaned it meticulously and changed oil and filter again and added exactly 4.9 quarts...left for a road trip next a.m. and traveled about 90 miles when low oil came on again (ironically in almost the same spot) and sure enough it was down about 1/2 - 3/4 quart...I had brought along the last part of the 5 qt container just in case and added it and the light went off and it drove fine for the next 1000 miles of the trip...has anyone else experienced this? Is the published data incorrect? I would have thought that the light would have come on almost immediately if it was low - maybe it takes time to "soak" into the filter or somethng? I have not pulled the plate underneath yet to see (I ran into some torrential rain which I surmise may have washed any residue away).
Thanks!

Some on here believe the published data is incorrect. Anecdotally I*ve always poured in 5qts and never had an issue.

Regardless of this, your low oil light should not be coming on if you*re only 1/2-3/4 quart low. Do you have a warranty on the vehicle? If so, next time the light comes on, check the fluid level. If in the safe zone, go ahead and schedule a dealer visit.

Last edited:
I believe the CX-5 has both level and pressure switches on the oil. Echo above: Neither should come on when it is only 1/2 to 3/4 qts low.
Add: 4.9 qts is the right fill (4.5 liters is specified).
Since you are still under warranty make an appointment and have the sensors checked out. The service technician will independently verify oil pressure which is actually more important than level anyway. Hopefully there is a sensor problem that a new level or pressure switch will resolve.

Unless they added something, there is a pressure switch. Typically if it comes on your are playing with rod end bearings...unless it's malfunctioning.

I put 5 quarts plus 425ccs and it was about an 8th of an inch below full. It probably takes 5 1/2 quarts. I think the publication isn't correct.
Edit: I just checked my oil level now, after a long time for it all to drain back into the pan, and it is just about to the full mark. So 5 quarts and 425ccs it is.

Last edited:
Hello - 2018 CX-5 purchased with 4k on it - drove until required oil change with 0W-20...drove for approx 3800 miles and low oil light came on...
Are you saying the red low oil pressure warning light came on? Usually this means you oil pressure is too low, but it doesn't necessary mean your oil level is low such as when oil pump is failing or you're playing with rod end bearings like Chris_Top_Her. In your situation it seemed to associate with oil level. No matter, either way this definitely means something is wrong to your engine. Take some pictures when the low oil pressure light is on and present them to you Mazda dealer. Do it ASAP.

No, there's no oil level sensor on CX-5, or we'll see the amber low oil level warning light in our instrument cluster.

attachment.php

different-engine-oil-lights.jpg

I put 5 quarts plus 425ccs and it was about an 8th of an inch below full. It probably takes 5 1/2 quarts. I think the publication isn't correct.
Edit: I just checked my oil level now, after a long time for it all to drain back into the pan, and it is just about to the full mark. So 5 quarts and 425ccs it is.
Yes, I always say the oil capacity for SkyActiv-G 2.5L should be 5.4 quarts. The oil capacity specified in owner's manual and factory service manual, 4.8 quarts for 2.5L, is incorrect if you consider the oil capacity should be at Full mark of the dipstick, and this's supposed to be like this as the convention. Some argue that the capacities listed are approximate, but 4.8 quarts and 5.4 quarts seems to be off too much to me. And some capacities are right on the mark, such as front transfer case; some off at 67% such as rear differential, 0.75 quarts vs. 0.45 quarts. Don't like the accuracy of Mazda's specifications on fluid capacities.

C
Yes, there is an oil level sensor. It*s in the manual for the 2018 models.
attachment.php

View attachment 220824
But it does say Some Models. My 2016 CX-5 owners manual has Memory Seat section and says Some Medels too. But the fact is its not available in any of the models at the time. My 2016 CX-5 GT AWD doesnt have this Low Oil Level warning light icon in instrument cluster. Unless you see this icon when you turn the ignition on, you dont have oil level sensor.

Still we dont know the warning light OP saw is from Low Oil Pressure or Low Oil Level.

And I should mention what I said is only for US CX-5. I do aware the Low Oil Level warning light sometimes does available in other markets, even on gen-1 CX-5.

CBut it does say *Some Models*. My 2016 CX-5 owner*s manual has Memory Seat section and says *Some Medels* too. But the fact is it*s not available in any of the models at the time. My 2016 CX-5 GT AWD doesn*t have this Low Oil Level warning light icon in instrument cluster. Unless you see this icon when you turn the ignition on, you don*t have oil level sensor.

Still we don*t know the warning light OP saw is from Low Oil Pressure or Low Oil Level.

All manuals have "some models" stipulations, you're not going to create a different manual for each individual trim level and package option, this isn't anything new. OP stated twice in his first post that he saw the low oil light. Yes, I've asked OP to clarify that it is in fact the low oil light and isn't confusing it for the low oil pressure light, but until that clarification occurs we should be basing our recommendations on the facts given. In this case, he is seeing a low oil light.

And you're correct, your 2016 CX-5 doesn't have an oil level light, it also doesn't state it as an option in the manual. This is different for the 2018 models.

All manuals have "some models" stipulations, you're not going to create a different manual for each individual trim level and package option, this isn't anything new. OP stated twice in his first post that he saw the low oil light. Yes, I've asked OP to clarify that it is in fact the low oil light and isn't confusing it for the low oil pressure light, but until that clarification occurs we should be basing our recommendations on the facts given. In this case, he is seeing a low oil light.

And you're correct, your 2016 CX-5 doesn't have an oil level light, it also doesn't state it as an option in the manual. This is different for the 2018 models.
Not necessary. Our Low Oil Pressure warning light won't say "Some Models". Whenever the manual says "Some Models", it simply means the feature is optional, sometimes it's not even available like the Memory Seat feature I mentioned earlier.

Low Oil Level warning light may be available for 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. But until someone posts a picture of such icon from its instrument cluster, I really doubt it's available on CX-5 for US market.

On a side note, it's interesting to see when Low Oil Level warning light is on, Mazda says the oil level is around the MIN mark and we should add 1 liter (1.05669 US quarts) of engine oil. This means the oil capacity should be 5.3~5.4 quarts for our 2.5L, not the specified 4.8 quarts. ;)

attachment.php

2018 CX-5 Oil Pressure Warning Light.jpg

attachment.php

View attachment 220824

Attachments

• 2018 CX-5 Oil Pressure Warning Light.jpg
    2018 CX-5 Oil Pressure Warning Light.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 956
No pictures but my 19 GT has both low oil pressure and low oil level lights in the left instrument cluster.

Sorry - not certain where my post for clarifying that the oil level light (amber) was showing but here it is again...not low oil pressure. I will ride this change out and carefully monitor the level when 4.9 qts are added...then see where it stands.
Thanks!

Same observation. It's pretty close to 5.5 quarts to reach full mark on my 2015.

I put the front of the car up on rhino ramps. Pull out oil filter and drain plug and let the car drain for an hour and then reinstall. Then I fill it up with 5 quarts. After lowering and running the car, turning it off, and then letting it sit, I have to add another ~0.5 quarts.

Look on the bright side. We don't have oil burning, fuel dilution, and oil rising issues....knock on wood.

Back