Roof boxes...best fit?

ScottT

ISO advice on roof box for 2016 GT with raised rails...plan to add either Thule or Yakima crossbars, then a box, for a safe and secure cross country road trip...i like the Thule ForceXT or Yakima Skybox, but they and a lot of other boxes seem long for the cx-5 and its relatively short roofline...also wonder about clearance over the fin. Any experience/recs GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

I have a 2017 CX-5 (but the general roof dimensions should be similar to your 2016) and use a Thule Force with OEM crossbars. No problem with fin clearance and I can position the box forward enough where I can open the hatch completely. The Thule fit guide on their website has been pretty accurate in my experience.

The only pic I have with the box installed...
20180622-074520.jpg

I believe only the Force or Rocketbox have the clearance to allow you to open the hatch.

I had a larger Thule box when I purchased my CX-5 but like the previous poster said, many of them have issues with the hatch opening. The other issue is depending on your roof rack, some boxes dont clear the shark fin antenna.

I ended up selling my longer Thule and buying a Yakima Rocketbox 14. If you look on Yakimas website you will see they actually have a demo video of a CX-5.

Has anyone equipped their CX-5 with the Yakima Skybox 16? The dealership here offers an OEM model thats the same capacity as the Skybox: 16 cubic feet.

Also, there are a few threads that get really into a lot of details about different mounting options: raised rails, no rails, different bars, etc.

But Im not too picky and Im happy with the flush OEM rail/bar combo. Is that generally good enough?

What would be a simple upgrade in terms of rails?

Sorry for all the questions and piggybacking on the OP. Hopefully this might help them too.

I had the OEM roof rails installed with the OEM crossbars. I didn*t like the OEM crossbars because they didn*t offer enough flexibility and they*re not really meant to be easily removed - they*re more of a permanent install and I don*t like the look.

I ended up selling my crossbars and went with a Thule crossbar mount setup. It offers more flexibility, is fully removable and it gives a bit more height to clear the rear antenna.

I*m not sure if the Skybox 16 would fit, but if you call Yakima they can confirm.

Back