Thread: Yakima Showcase 15 Quicksilver

2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring

Yakima Showcase 15 Quicksilver

Hi all. Just wanted to share a couple pics of my recent purchase. Overall experience so far (1 week) is that I am mostly pleased with the cargo box. It was between the Showcase and the Thule Motion XT L. Chose Yakima because of past experience with other products (hitch mounted bike rack) and sleeker design. The showcase also sits 14* high from the crossbars vs the Motion XT that sits 17*. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by bry4926; 05-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    2017 CX-9 Grand Touring Machine Grey
    Mazda Mobile Start (MMS)
    SunTek clear PPF (partial hood, fenders, headlights, bumper, side mirrors & door cups)
    OEM all-weather mats
    OEM splash guards
    iJDMtoy 24W High Power Amber 7440 W21W T20 (no resistor) LED rear turn signal lights
    iJDMtoy 50W CREE T10 LED Backup Reverse Lights 921

Matching factory tint on driver and passenger windows

OEM Crossbars

Remin Real Carbon Fiber dash kit
    Waylens Secure360 Dashcam

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT AWD

Thanks for posting, bry. I'm considering a roof box myself so it's really nice to see how this one fits on the roof. I may simply get just a ski rack as the little ones get more into skiing and I need to find a way to reduce the cost of taking a family skiing. Will also come in handy for camping, though I may go a little smaller than this size.

Do you get much wobbling or bouncing at highway speeds?

Color seems to match well, nice bonus.

95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD

Thanks for the pics!

It doesn't look like it, but just to confirm, the trunk door can fully open without any interference from the roofbox? And this is with the OEM crossbars?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

I use a Thule Motion XT Alpine box for my ski trips. Long, wide, low & flat. The choice between Yakima and Thule is kind'a like the choice between apple pie or cherry pie...both are really good.

This box has enough forward & aft movement in the attachments that I can position it just an inch or so forward of the upraised lift gate. No problem. (It could go further, but I like this spot.) This box is stable at highway speeds.

I put the Thule MultiLift storage unit on the garage ceiling to store the box when it is off the car. This will work with any brand of box.
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...lift-_-1689689

I take the factory cross bars off when I don't use the cargo box. The attachment screws are always a pain, and the Wiha T30 ball-end driver #36236 screws them in and out with more convenience than the factory tool. Don't twist any ball-end tool too hard--it can strip or break where necked down, but they certainly serve a purpose.
    Last edited by PTguy; 05-15-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinjah View Post
    Thanks for posting, bry. I'm considering a roof box myself so it's really nice to see how this one fits on the roof. I may simply get just a ski rack as the little ones get more into skiing and I need to find a way to reduce the cost of taking a family skiing. Will also come in handy for camping, though I may go a little smaller than this size.

Do you get much wobbling or bouncing at highway speeds?

Color seems to match well, nice bonus.
    Thanks! I*ve had it empty when driving at highway speeds and it*s pretty secure. Minor wobbling up in from portion due to the latches being more in center and back of the box but that was at slower speeds. Nothing at all alarming though. Haven*t loaded up yet with any cargo but overall I think it*s going to be fine. The four latch points on the crossbars are very secure.

I*m happy with the color too. I was worried before I purchased it that without seeing the box in person, it wasn*t going to match very well. The box color is a little lighter than the machine grey but I still prefer this over the black. I watched as many reviews on YouTube as I could and did my research before buying. It was between the Thule Motion XT XL and this one but went with Yakima because I like their hitch mounted bike racks.
    Last edited by bry4926; 05-17-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfriedsushi View Post
    Thanks for the pics!

It doesn't look like it, but just to confirm, the trunk door can fully open without any interference from the roofbox? And this is with the OEM crossbars?
    No prob! Correct, no interference. The box is adjustable front and back so you have more than enough play to set it where you want. I think I can go another couple/few inches to the rear before getting close to the rear hatch. This is with the OEM crossbars.
    Last edited by bry4926; 05-17-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    I use a Thule Motion XT Alpine box for my ski trips. Long, wide, low & flat. The choice between Yakima and Thule is kind'a like the choice between apple pie or cherry pie...both are really good.

This box has enough forward & aft movement in the attachments that I can position it just an inch or so forward of the upraised lift gate. No problem. (It could go further, but I like this spot.) This box is stable at highway speeds.

I put the Thule MultiLift storage unit on the garage ceiling to store the box when it is off the car. This will work with any brand of box.
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...lift-_-1689689

I take the factory cross bars off when I don't use the cargo box. The attachment screws are always a pain, and the Wiha T30 ball-end driver #36236 screws them in and out with more convenience than the factory tool. Don't twist any ball-end tool too hard--it can strip or break where necked down, but they certainly serve a purpose.
    I just decided to leave the crossbars on as it was a pain to install them

Donated: $25

2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

I did the same a few months after I got my CX-9. We had twins so it came in very handy when traveling with someone/our dog in the 3rd row. Very happy with the Yakima box, and definitely looks more sleeker and matches the lines/shape of the CX-9 better than the Thule.

Attached Images Attached Images

Donated: $25

2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

..and I actually got a little bored one day, so I actually added some aero 'bits' to the roof box just for kicks & giggles. Fake shark fin antenna, and some dive plans.

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-9 GT

Can you list all the parts you bought (i.e. cross bar and cargo box), I'm looking into these for extra storage on my 2018 cx-9 plz and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninja729 View Post
    Can you list all the parts you bought (i.e. cross bar and cargo box), I'm looking into these for extra storage on my 2018 cx-9 plz and thanks
    OEM Crossbars
    https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Showca...ons&psc=1&th=1