2008 CX-9 exhaust leak...Replace?

:
'08 CX-9
Our 2008 CX-9 has developed an exhaust leak in the pipe that Y's going backwards into each of the 2 mufflers. Come to find out this by itself is a $450 part.

Back in the day I would just replace the entire system from the catalytic converter back to make the project easier and long lasting. However, with Mazda's exhaust component prices, this is not a viable option.

Does anyone know why these parts are so expensive and if there are any quality but cheaper aftermarket alternatives?

Check a local muffler repair shop. They may be able to fabricate a new y-pipe out of either aluminum coated steel or stainless steel for much less money.

What's the life of the oxygen sensors on that car? 100,000 miles or so? You might have them renew the sensors as well. If the wells the sensors are in break off, the shop can weld in new wells.

Thanks PTguy. Didn't even think about going that route as I'm typically a DIY type of person. In this situation DIY does not seem to make sense

He did a pretty good job. I think we either went with larger piping or stainless as an upgrade. Ultimately with the bearing issues, driveshaft joint issue, main seal issue, leaking 2nd transfer case, and some other items, I sold the CX-9. Miss it sometimes though.

Last edited:
He did a pretty good job. I think we either went with larger piping or stainless as an upgrade. Ultimately with the bearing issues, driveshaft joint issue, main seal issue, leaking 2nd transfer case, and some other items, I sold the CX-9. Miss it sometimes though.
bummer. 104 on my 08. Listed it for sale a year or two ago and had zero bites because it is front wheel drive. One person actually called me to sarcastically ask me how it handles in the snow and began mocking me. People actually would buy a fatal older used 4wd just to have the badge on the liftgate. I keep wondering how long she will hold out. Thing is like the Energizer bunny. Most dependable vehicle ever.

It was a great truck. Yeah it was mainly the fact that these items were popping up and I didn't want to keep chasing issues or sinking money into it. I had about 90K miles on it. I'd say be happy that you still have it and it's reliable. Short of the new tech, the comparable CUVs out there are way more expensive now and offer little more. If Mazda made and EV CUV the size of the original CX-9, I would consider it. Too bad Japanese manufacturers are still leveraging their hybrid investment before going EV. And for the guys who made mocked your FWD, I guess they have too much time on their hands or not much else going on. Good luck and enjoy the CX-9 Energizer Bunny.

I found solution for the holes between mufflers and "Y" pipe with Aluminum HVAC tape. it worked great.
Sure. Exhaust wrap works too in certain spots. Mine was rotting in a places that couldn't easily be wrapped due flange, hanger, or bung. Thought about high temp epoxy too.

The adhesive used in HVAC tape is not rated for exhaust temperatures. This repair will get you to the muffler shop but I wouldn't rely on it long term.

The adhesive used in HVAC tape is not rated for exhaust temperatures. This repair will get you to the muffler shop but I wouldn't rely on it long term.
I dunno man, plenum temps can exceed 140 in residential units, and tape is suitable well beyond that. but you are probly right. maybe exhaust tape.

Again, it will work for a while, but I wouldn't count on it as a long term fix. Most HVAC tape tops out around 200F, maybe a little higher. The exhaust gas temperatures exceed 1000F routinely and can get much hotter. The catalytic converters need to be above 800F to function properly, so the exhaust system will cook that adhesive after a while.

Back