CX-9 Power Liftgate won't open

zoomsd

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
I just had my CX-9 16 GT's windshield replaced by SafeLite a couple days ago. The replacement required a re-calibration since there are sensors mounted on the windshield.

Just found out this morning that my power liftgate wouldn't open using either key fob, the button at the tailgate or the button near the steering wheel (with all the doors unlocked). Not sure if the re-calibration had anything to do with this.

Has anyone experienced issue with liftgate? I've read a couple posts where issues were related to the cold weather. It's not the case here in the Southern California :).

Thanks!

Usually when I pressed the hatch near the steering wheel, if the car is in lock mode I can still hear the beep a couple times. Nothing happens now.

I looked at the 2016 manual quickly. I'd advise you to have a look as well.

http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2016/cx-9/contents/04030200.html

The manual states:

If a power liftgate system fuse has blown, the liftgate cannot be opened using the power liftgate switch or the electric liftgate opener. Use the emergency lever to open the liftgate.

Fully close the power liftgate before disconnecting the vehicle battery. If the battery is disconnected with the liftgate open, it cannot be opened or closed automatically after the battery is reconnected. If this happens, fully close the liftgate manually to restore the auto full open/close function.

I would check the power liftgate fuse. If that's good, I'd try manually opening the liftgate fully from the inside, then closing it manually. If the issue isn't resolved after that, I'd take it to the dealer.

I looked at the 2016 manual quickly. I'd advise you to have a look as well.

http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2016/cx-9/contents/04030200.html

The manual states:

If a power liftgate system fuse has blown, the liftgate cannot be opened using the power liftgate switch or the electric liftgate opener. Use the emergency lever to open the liftgate.

Fully close the power liftgate before disconnecting the vehicle battery. If the battery is disconnected with the liftgate open, it cannot be opened or closed automatically after the battery is reconnected. If this happens, fully close the liftgate manually to restore the auto full open/close function.

I would check the power liftgate fuse. If that's good, I'd try manually opening the liftgate fully from the inside, then closing it manually. If the issue isn't resolved after that, I'd take it to the dealer.

Thanks a lot for the guidance, sm1ke! I did a quick search on the fuse box this morning and found this:

https://www.autogenius.info/mazda-cx-9-from-2016-fuse-box-diagram/

I will check on it when get home this evening and report back.

Thanks again!

Fuses blow for a reason. There was an electrical overload exceeding the 20 amp rating of the fuse. If the new fuse blows, you need a shop to find and fix the problem.

Nice link to have for reference! Thanks for posting.

Checked and fuse #5 for Power Liftgate is still good :-( (also replaced with the spare one 20A that mounted on the inside of the fuse box cover from engine compartment). Just wonder if the windshield calibration from Satellite has anything to do with it.

BTW, I can open the liftgate from inside manually.

Problem was resolved this evening by unplugging the battery's negative terminal and re-connect it back. I guess this forced a reset. I checked and Audio, Bluetooth phone settings, etc. are still there.

Thank you sm1ke and PTguy for your help on this!

So I'm having an issue with my own liftgate now, haha. I took the car through a touchless wash last night. I dried the door jambs and the liftgate (or at least I thought I did). Today I tried to open the liftgate by using the button beside the steering wheel. The liftgate seal must have been a little frozen, because it popped open just a bit (enough to turn the cargo light on), but then it beeped 3 times and the button would no longer do anything. I tried to open it using the button in the dash, the button on the hatch, or the key fob, but it just beeps 3 times. I have opened the hatch from the inside using the emergency latch and closed it, and I have disconnected the negative terminal for the battery for about 20 seconds to attempt a reset. My trip odometer was reset, but the hatch will only beep at me. I also checked the fuse, and it's fine. Any ideas besides taking it to the dealer?

EDIT: Apparently I didn't look at the fuse closely enough 🤦‍♂️ Turns out I blew the fuse, probably because the power liftgate had to work too hard when I didn't dry the door seals well enough after the touchless wash. For future reference, I did speak to a Mazda tech. He advised that on the 2nd gen CX-9, if the liftgate won't open and the fuse is still good, we should disconnect the negative battery terminal and depress the brake pedal for 1-2 minutes to ensure that all electricity is discharged, which forces most of the electronic modules to reset. Reconnect the negative terminal, then ensure all doors are unlocked, and attempt to open the liftgate using one of the switches. If it still doesn't work, open the liftgate manually from the inside, then close it, and try again. If that doesn't work either, it should be brought to the dealer.

Last edited:
Problem was resolved this evening by unplugging the battery's negative terminal and re-connect it back. I guess this forced a reset. I checked and Audio, Bluetooth phone settings, etc. are still there.

Thank you sm1ke and PTguy for your help on this!
Thank you so much All!
for my cx9 gt 2016 too the battery disconnect and reconnect 2 simple steps have restored my liftgate operation successfully from the 1st try. Before that, the car was not reacting at all to pressing key fob button or to pressing the open button under the wheel.
Saved me a visit to the dealership, thanks a ton

Hmmm... I'm gonna have to try the battery disconnect. I was having the same issue (liftgate not opening via keyfob or button under the steering wheel), but when I drive off its beeping like hell !!! and it doesn't stop!!! I tried a few things, but ended up driving to work (essential) :) So hope this will fix it. If not, will be coming back for help.

Had the same issue after my 2018 CX-9 battery died today (from what I assume is my own fault for leaving the car in "accessory mode" by mistake). After having jumpstarted the car, the power liftgate wouldn't open. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery negative terminal solved the problem immediately.

Just to add another thanks for this thread. Picked up our 16 cx9 from the body shop and the tailgate also didn't open. Fuse was good, pulled the negative terminal and it resolved the problem.

New one...Has anyone had their auto-lock servo fail? My hunch is this is the problem on our 2018 CX9....but, what's surprising (to me) is that the emergency lever does NOT open the hatch from inside. So if is the case by factory-design, the hatch is locked and your trapped inside, the emergency latch is useless.

Any info/advise please...even after all the reset steps, battery (-) disconnect/discharge etc., nothing is fixing it, still does 3-beeps from all the fobs & buttons (and the latch still servo works) but no open.

I'm really starting to wonder how the heck to fix this thing!
Thanks to anyone in advance for info

Back