Probably a Dumb Question

Dee0121

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Deep Crystal Blue Mica
I hate the white USB cable that came with my installation of Car Play. Would much prefer a black one that 'disappears' against the black of the console. Of course I hesitate to use anything that isn't Apple certified or approved. It gets confusing on Apple's website - I assume we use the "Lightening to USB" cable and not the "USB to Lightening". I'm no techie, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Maybe I'm the only one it bothers LOL, but does anyone have any suggestions other than "get over it!"? (confused)

Thanks!

Amazon has many Apple-certified USB-to-lightning cables in a variety of colors.

This simple search provides a variety: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I'm partial to the Anker cables ... though more expensive than some they always work perfectly with CarPlay in all of my cars.

Amazon has many Apple-certified USB-to-lightning cables in a variety of colors.

This simple search provides a variety: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I'm partial to the Anker cables ... though more expensive than some they always work perfectly with CarPlay in all of my cars.

Thanks Turborascal, I'll check them out! I'd prefer an Ankar cable as well - don't mind paying a little extra if it works!

Last edited:
Another vote for Anker. Own many of their cables and charging blocks from the last few years, and all have performed admirably.

As the old saying goes, "There is no such thing as a dumb question".

The fact that there is something you want to know and do not have the answer, the only way to get the answer is to ask the question. Okay, enough about that.

Your question was a good one. However, there is only one problem with it. Your question is not in the title. It only says, "Probably a Dumb Question". That title will be permanent in this forum.

In the future, someone else may have the same question and will do a search for the answer. They will not find anything in their search regarding your specific question because it is not in the title.

Please believe me, I am not trying to be a jerk about this. No disrespect is intended. I have been on many, many car and truck forums over the years and always do a search before asking any questions. I have also seen many questions start off with a title that has nothing to do with the question. Your question will probably be useful to many others in the near or far future but will never be found in a search.

It would be helpful if the moderators could change the titles to reflect the content of the question that follows.

By the way, I am glad your question was answered for you. Enjoy your CX-5. I sure do enjoy both of my Miata products.

Get yourself a black sharpie and change your white cable to black. Problem solved.

Your question was a good one. However, there is only one problem with it. Your question is not in the title. It only says, "Probably a Dumb Question". That title will be permanent in this forum.

You are absolutely correct - and I realized that as soon as I posted it. And I went back to try and edit it, but it didn't allow it. I'll do better on my next one :)

I hate the white USB cable that came with my installation of Car Play. Would much prefer a black one that 'disappears' against the black of the console. Of course I hesitate to use anything that isn't Apple certified or approved. It gets confusing on Apple's website - I assume we use the "Lightening to USB" cable and not the "USB to Lightening". I'm no techie, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Maybe I'm the only one it bothers LOL, but does anyone have any suggestions other than "get over it!"? (confused)

Thanks!

Apple does make black cables. They unfortunately are only included with the Slate Gray wireless keyboards and mice. I haven't seen them sold separately. I'm lucky to have a couple of them from work.

Wait you got a cable with the car play install.... my dealer didn*t leave a usb cable with the install.... dang...

My dealer install didn't come with a cable.

Judging by the "basic requirements" in the quick start guide that states, "You'll need an Apple Lightning to USB cable" they're not included in the factory kit.

It would be helpful if the moderators could change the titles to reflect the content of the question that follows.

The software has that capability (I used to be a Mod on a vBulletin-based forum).

If the OP pings them, they may change it.

Back