Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by noderman View Post
    Your link does not work but you can easily search Mazda CX-5 on the site. I will say that the "issues" on that site read as if written by a group of 75 year old homeless men.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Yikes, really sorry to hear of your problem OP. As someone who regularly pushes high RPM's accelerating, or going into manual mode (I don't have a sport mode in my 2014), this limp mode sounds downright dangerous and scary, and quite frankly I'm not sure I'd want the car anymore if it kept doing that. I hope wherever this leads and whatever you decide, that Mazda ends up making it right.

So, just reading the posts, I will admit I don't fully understand what all these parts are. Is it safe for me to say the cause seems to be this rocker arm (I'm sorry I don't know what that is) is falling off, and the the CD screws with the oil pressure and creates the perfect environment for when you push to high RPMs, it goes into limp mode? Sounds like CD in and of itself while contributing to this happening, isn't the actual root cause. The faulty arm and/or design allowing it to fall off to begin with is. So while Yrwei is quick to call this a CD issue, would it be possible for this to happen without the CD? Does the CD just end up creating the right environment for this to happen? I guess what I am getting at is if a 2.5L SkyActiv NA without the CD (Gen 1s, and 2017's) also had this rocker arm fall off, would they never know? Seems odd.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 05-05-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

The rocker arm falling off is in Mazda Service Alert No: SA-15/19 Issued 04/08/2019

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...59203-0001.pdf

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yikes, really sorry to hear of your problem OP. As someone who regularly pushes high RPM's accelerating, or going into manual mode (I don't have a sport mode in my 2014), this limp mode sounds downright dangerous and scary, and quite frankly I'm not sure I'd want the car anymore if it kept doing that. I hope wherever this leads and whatever you decide, that Mazda ends up making it right.

So, just reading the posts, I will admit I don't fully understand what all these parts are. Is it safe for me to say the cause seems to be this rocker arm (I'm sorry I don't know what that is) is falling off, and the the CD screws with the oil pressure and creates the perfect environment for when you push to high RPMs, it goes into limp mode? Sounds like CD in and of itself while contributing to this happening, isn't the actual root cause. The faulty arm and/or design allowing it to fall off to begin with is. So while Yrwei is quick to call this a CD issue, would it be possible for this to happen without the CD? Does the CD just end up creating the right environment for this to happen? I guess what I am getting at is if a 2.5L SkyActiv NA without the CD (Gen 1s, and 2017's) also had this rocker arm fall off, would they never know? Seems odd.
    The cause of the rocker arm falling off is low oil pressure on the lifter during cylinder deactivation. This is due to the wrong programming in the PCM. My dealership told me that they were informed by Mazda that they had two suppliers of this PCM and one of the suppliers had the wrong program on theirs. If you have a 2106 CX-5 you do not have cylinder deactivation and I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Go Hawks View Post
    The cause of the rocker arm falling off is low oil pressure on the lifter during cylinder deactivation. This is due to the wrong programming in the PCM. My dealership told me that they were informed by Mazda that they had two suppliers of this PCM and one of the suppliers had the wrong program on theirs. If you have a 2106 CX-5 you do not have cylinder deactivation and I would say you have nothing to worry about.
    Ah....that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by t.suv View Post
    The rocker arm falling off is in Mazda Service Alert No: SA-15/19 Issued 04/08/2019

Thanks for this info t.suv. So again I ask why is there no recall. My vehicle had this issue back in October of 2018. This bulletin is dated 4-8-19. And I know that my vehicle was number 19 that they knew of then. By the time I got my vehicle out of the shop they knew of 26 that had experienced this issue. Who knows how many now that have been reported? And who knows how many are out there with the issue but they haven't discovered it yet?

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Damn. Just changed the oil and rotated the tires on my mother in laws 2018. Wish I had read this thread and test drove/ floored it for grins and giggles. About ~12k on her odometer with primarily city driving. Not sure if she ever gets the opportunity to drive more spiritedly.

Registered Member

Mazda

Can't Mazda disable CD to resolve this issue? I rather trade a couple MPG for peace of mind.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Thanks for posting that.

Debris and contamination? The plot thickens.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Remove the valve cover and inspect for any rocker arms that are broken or have fallen off, especially inthe cylinder deactivation area (cylinders 1 and 4). Refer to SA-041/18 if found.

2. Remove the front and rear oil control valves for cylinder deactivation and inspect the oil control valvesand cylinder head port for contamination or debris (see photo).If contamination or debris is found, photograph your findings and place the solenoid and debris inseparate plastic bags for collection. Mark on each bag the location where contamination was found,then contact Hotline for instructions on creating a case where you can attach the photos

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Here is my Service report from them changing my engine
    I now believe you now, thanks for that image. I agree, it should be a recall for all models with the faulty CD/PCM setting. And if they can't identify the ones with the bad PCM setting then all of them need to be recalled.
    Last edited by MyFirstMazda; 05-05-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

In the pictures, the debris looks like grease.

Last edited by MyFirstMazda; 05-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

hopefully you guys can open that so all of you doubters out there will understand this is not a joke. I sincerely hope none of you have to experience this. I can't emphasize enough how important this is. You may be driving around with this problem as we speak. the only way you will know is if you get the RPMs high enough and maintain them for a bit. If the rocker is off your car will go into limp mode. They will need to reflash your PCM to the correct logic and obviously address your engine issue.
    Thank you to all of you out there who have been believing me and backing me up.
    Your repair invoice should silent those doubters right there. The service alert document from NHTSA should further prove there's a major issue on Mazda's cylinder deactivation system. I'm glad my hunch was correct and changed my mind getting a new 2018 CX-5 purely because Mazda suddenly added this problematic cylinder deactivation feature to its NA 2.5L starting MY 2018!

Here is my Service report from them changing my engine

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I now believe you now, thanks for that image. I agree, it should be a recall for all models with the faulty CD/PCM setting. And if they can't identify the ones with the bad PCM setting then all of them need to be recalled.
    MyFirstMazda I am glad you believe me now. Thank you.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

MyFirstMazda I am glad you believe me now. Thank you.
    Thank you for posting this very important issue.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Your repair invoice should silent those doubters right there. The service alert document from NHTSA should further prove there's a major issue on Mazda's cylinder deactivation system. I'm glad my hunch was correct and changed my mind getting a new 2018 CX-5 purely because Mazda suddenly added this problematic cylinder deactivation feature to its NA 2.5L starting MY 2018!
    yrwei52 I believe you made the right choice in not buying the 2018. Mine is on a 3 year lease with 2 years remaining. I have tried to get out of the lease by moving up to the new CX-5 reserve with the Turbo at the same dealership that I bought the 18 at but it is going to cost me an arm and a leg to get out of it. So I wait for a couple years and hope that the new engine and PCM actually fixes the problem. So far so good but we will see. If nothing else I would like to see Mazda at least change the logic that puts the car into limp mode at those higher RPMs. That may make the car safer at least. But I have argued that point ad nauseam with Mazda and can't seem to make them change it.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast