Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

I decided to go and buy a filter today. I talked to one service tech and showed him the paper, and he hadn't heard of it and told me to talk to another service person who was there longer, that he has only been there for two months. So I talked to the other person and showed her the service alert. She didn't know about it either, said they haven't had any customers in with that issue. Both of them focused on my car, they thought I was concerned about my car having the problem even though I said I only wanted to know if any cars came in with a CD issue. I know mine doesn't have the CD problem, mine won't misfire. I am guessing that not many dealer service centers have come across this problem yet. Anyway, my dealer now knows about the service alert.
So the filter went up 25 cents, it was $8.50 with washer today, in February it was $8.25 with washer. Plus tax.

The PCM explanation would appear to be designed to deflect responsibility away from Mazda and onto a third party.

so I have a 2019 sport cx5 , how would I try and replicate this failure
what steps to try and follow ?

have cx5 in sport mode or normal mode ?
cruise control on ?
what speed ?
then what , just give it gas ?

just wondering , If I should be complaining to mazda about 'CD' ..
thanks

In my case the only time limp mode activated was when i was hitting redline in normal mode. If you're going to go try this just make sure you a empty stretch of road you can safely get to 45-60mph and can safely pull off the side of the road. In GoHawks and my case we only noticed because we were making a pass and pushing the engine hard. Its not a good feeling to realize halfway in a pass that you have no power to finish and you're a sitting duck.

I decided to go and buy a filter today. I talked to one service tech and showed him the paper, and he hadn't heard of it and told me to talk to another service person who was there longer, that he has only been there for two months. So I talked to the other person and showed her the service alert. She didn't know about it either, said they haven't had any customers in with that issue. Both of them focused on my car, they thought I was concerned about my car having the problem even though I said I only wanted to know if any cars came in with a CD issue. I know mine doesn't have the CD problem, mine won't misfire. I am guessing that not many dealer service centers have come across this problem yet. Anyway, my dealer now knows about the service alert.
So the filter went up 25 cents, it was $8.50 with washer today, in February it was $8.25 with washer. Plus tax.

Is it true that these so-called service techs don't know anything about service alerts or are they instructed to play dumb? It would seem if your livelihood depended on keeping up with the latest problems you would at least check the service bulletins.
Same thing at the Honda dealerships, had my wife's CR-V in for some service last month and asked them about the O/D problem. They looked at me like I was from Mars. They
said they never heard of it. Right.

Is it true that these so-called service techs don't know anything about service alerts or are they instructed to play dumb? It would seem if your livelihood depended on keeping up with the latest problems you would at least check the service bulletins.
Same thing at the Honda dealerships, had my wife's CR-V in for some service last month and asked them about the O/D problem. They looked at me like I was from Mars. They

I think the party line at all dealerships is to pretend they never heard of it or to deny that any other customers are having the problem. They will never admit there is any problem with a car, especially if your specific car doesnt have the problem.

In my case the only time limp mode activated was when i was hitting redline in normal mode. If you're going to go try this just make sure you a empty stretch of road you can safely get to 45-60mph and can safely pull off the side of the road. In GoHawks and my case we only noticed because we were making a pass and pushing the engine hard. Its not a good feeling to realize halfway in a pass that you have no power to finish and you're a sitting duck.

Have you taken your vehicle back and had them check for missing rocker arm?

asked them about the O/D problem. They looked at me like I was from Mars. They said they never heard of it. Right.

That's rich. I agree. I bet these dealers are just playing dumb so that people don't immediately assume "big issue".

I think they don't look at service alerts until they have a car with that problem. For example if they only change oil they won't be looking for alerts for brakes. That is a very simplified example. I think the people I talked to would have said they had some with CD problems if they had some.

I called the dealer up to set up a check. I'll update when I have more info

This is important because something caused that misfire, maybe the closed valve with missing rocker. Spooling it up even to nearly red line shouldn't cause misfires, I don't think.

ok, thanks jjm86m , I will try in a safe controlled area...

As I only have 130miles on engine, I'll probably wait till I get a couple
of hundred more miles on it before I do though......

Question ,, when does cylinder deactivation happen on the Cx5 's ???

Anyone know for sure ???
thanks

I think the party line at all dealerships is to pretend they never heard of it or to deny that any other customers are having the problem. They will never admit there is any problem with a car, especially if your specific car doesnt have the problem.

So true, especially in Honda's case.
They've known about this oil dilution problem for a long time, and dealers are still pretending like they've never heard of it.
I'm convinced it's the direction being handed down from up top, and all dealers are expected to tow the line and play dumb.
It's a game. Deny, lie, whatever it takes to try and make light of the problem.

ok, thanks jjm86m , I will try in a safe controlled area...

As I only have 130miles on engine, I'll probably wait till I get a couple
of hundred more miles on it before I do though......

Anyone know for sure ???
thanks

That is a good question for it's own thread. I don't know for sure, but based on my gas mileage, it activates at about 40mph up to 60mph when the gas pedal stays at one position at low rpms. It deactivates upon moving the gas pedal or going over 60 when there is wind resistance. When I keep a steady speed at 40 or 50 or 60mph or so my mpg goes into the 30's, that is why I think it must have activated. For me, it is impossible to detect when the cylinders stop firing from feel or sound. By the time Go Hawks accelerated, the valve rocker was already off. For jjm86m, either the rocker is off or there was some other condition that made the cylinder misfire on the one occasion.

I think the 19 3 shows when CD is activated through graphics in center screen. Surprised that the CX5 has not such display or indication. Plus the CX5 atleast gen1s pulled in 35+ mpg on stead 30+ mph speeds. So a 30 mpg instantaneous is no indicator for CD, it should actually be higher than 30-35 which non CD 2.5 engines can hit.

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h).

And:
Cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, improving fuel economy by some 20% when driving at a constant 40 km/h, and by about 5% at a constant 80 km/h.

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h).

So if you're cruising on the freeway at steady 65 to 70 mph CD is not engaged?

So if you're cruising on the freeway at steady 65 to 70 mph CD is not engaged?
Based on Mazda's document, cylinder deactivation on CX-5 can only be activated between 25 mph and 50 mph.

Back