Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Registered Member

Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    That's the frightening thing about the OD issue.

If you don't check or change your own oil, there's no way you know that you basically have no engine lubrication going on. The guy at Jiffy Lube ain't gonna notice, and the dealer sure isn't going to say anything.

Honda sent out letters to every CRV owner in the country making them aware of the issue and if they were experiencing it, to take it to a dealer to get it repaired. The repair involves actual replacement of hardware in addition to a software update.

Mazdaís fix is just a software upgrade, which I donít believe will fix anything in my opinion.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    Honda sent out letters to every CRV owner in the country making them aware of the issue and if they were experiencing it, to take it to a dealer to get it repaired. The repair involves actual replacement of hardware in addition to a software update.

Mazda*s fix is just a software upgrade, which I don*t believe will fix anything in my opinion.
    I don't really have a dog in the Honda fight, so please don't take this as anything but me repeating what I've read:

In the United States (again, from what I read), Honda has sent out repair letters saying they plan to repair cars in the 5 coldest states first, then repair cars in the next 16 coldest states. Then they'll stop.

If you live in the remaining 29 states, Honda plans to do nothing. There is no relief available for those owners (except for one-on-one negotiations with the dealers to at least get the software upgraded). Honda extended the warranty for Canadian owners only.

So if you live in one of those 29 states, don't get transferred to a colder climate with your job and don't sell your Honda to someone who might be moving, because Honda won't fix your car where you currently live. And when I was car shopping, I read posts from Honda owners who claimed to have significant oil dilution issues and they lived in Arizona...they were throwing the BS Flag on the "it's only short trips/cold weather" position. Honda Corporate is leaving customers in 29 states hanging on this issue.

And the Oil Dilution solution is just a software fix, excepting that some cars may have the air conditioning control unit replaced. This is not a universal hardware fix, nor is it even a universal software fix, nor is it being performed for all Honda owners. This whole thing is a stupid PR error in my opinion.

You can read posts today on the internet from 2019 owners (whose cars had the "fix" before delivery) claiming that they have significant OD issues. And Honda continues to beg off, saying that "Some OD is normal." Of course, "some" is not defined...that's for all those Honda owners to negotiate with their dealer.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 09-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda3

I don't really have a dog in the Honda fight, so please don't take this as anything but me repeating what I've read:

In the United States (again, from what I read), Honda has sent out repair letters saying they plan to repair cars in the 5 coldest states first, then repair cars in the next 16 coldest states. Then they'll stop.

If you live in the remaining 29 states, Honda plans to do nothing. There is no relief available for those owners (except for one-on-one negotiations with the dealers to at least get the software upgraded). Honda extended the warranty for Canadian owners only.

So if you live in one of those 29 states, don't get transferred to a colder climate with your job and don't sell your Honda to someone who might be moving, because Honda won't fix your car where you currently live. And when I was car shopping, I read posts from Honda owners who claimed to have significant oil dilution issues and they lived in Arizona...they were throwing the BS Flag on the "it's only short trips/cold weather" position. Honda Corporate is leaving customers in 29 states hanging on this issue.

And the Oil Dilution solution is just a software fix, excepting that some cars may have the air conditioning control unit replaced. This is not a universal hardware fix, nor is it even a universal software fix, nor is it being performed for all Honda owners. This whole thing is a stupid PR error in my opinion.

You can read posts today on the internet from 2019 owners (whose cars had the "fix" before delivery) claiming that they have significant OD issues. And Honda continues to beg off, saying that "Some OD is normal." Of course, "some" is not defined...that's for all those Honda owners to negotiate with their dealer.

If this issue only affects people in colder states, why would the other CRV owners in the other states care if theyíre not affected by it? And if someone moves up north, why wouldnít Honda do the warranty work if they changed their residence to somewhere up north? This issue effects people in cold weather states. If someone in Arizona is experiencing this issue, they probably donít know how to check their own oil and have no clue what theyíre doing. Itís been widely known this only affects the vehicle in cold weather states. Also Honda extended the warranty on the engine for everyone in the country. Will Mazda do the same?

BTW Iím not sure how the CRV was brought into this, considering itís a Mazda forum. I guess when there is a serious issue with the NA 2.5 engine in the Mazda, the knee jerk reaction is to find other non-Mazda vehicles with problems. The idea of putting cylinder deactivation in a vehicle to gain a measly 1 mpg and no gain in AWD configurations was a bonehead move on Mazdaís part.

Registered Member

Bringing another car manufacturer into the conversation makes more sense than bringing in an airplane manufacturer, but we talked about that.

I would think that if Mazda said they would only fix cars based on the climate they're currently located in, people would be [rightly] wetting their britches. It's just a silly cheap thing to do. People relocate. People sell their cars to folks out of the area.

If someone in Arizona is experiencing this issue, they probably don*t know how to check their own oil and have no clue what they*re doing.
    Well, I guess that settles that. Sounds like you're ready to own a Honda dealership.

And as I stated, what I read claims that only Canadian warranties have been extended. That article may be wrong. It may also be wrong about this only being a software fix, with some cars getting hardware.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 09-16-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Bringing another car manufacturer into the conversation makes more sense than bringing in an airplane manufacturer, but we talked about that.
    Bringing up Boeing 737 MAX 8 grounded matter indicates all manufactures, even as big as Boeing, will make big mistake. And like negusm said earlier, they will only act forced by certain condition:

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    They will only act if a certain formula is true:

number of deaths x average settlement payout > cost of recall

This is not a joke as this is standard practice. It mostly works in the companies' favor. But in the cases like Takata and Boeing...they got caught on the wrong side of the equation.

I would think that if Mazda said they would only fix cars based on the climate they're currently located in, people would be [rightly] wetting their britches. It's just a silly cheap thing to do. People relocate. People sell their cars to folks out of the area.
    Since you mentioned it, I have a personal experience on EPB dragging issue on my CX-5. There're several TSBs for this EPB dragging issue because Mazda didn't figure out tthe root cause in the beginning. Mazda started to replace EPB control module with software fix (just like cylinder deactivation issue with software fix on first try), AND only applicable to those CX-5ís in cold climate! When I was aware this issue and brought up to my Mazda dealer, they couldnít do anything to it as the TSB specifically said the TSB is only for cold climate and unfortunately I live in hot Texas.

Eventually Mazda found out the issue was not only happening in cold region, and they had to revise the rear calipers to fix the problem.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Registered Member

I agree, yrwei52.

They all do it. Customers be damned.

No one is worse, but no one is better.
    That's what stinks.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    The idea of putting cylinder deactivation in a vehicle to gain a measly 1 mpg and no gain in AWD configurations was a bonehead move on Mazdaís part.
    Well, I guess Ford must have thought it was a good idea too though.
    Just read a review in my local paper's auto section on the new for 2020 Escape.
    Ford finally did a clean sheet on it, so it's new from the ground up (the old platform had been around since around 2012 I believe)
    Here's the interesting part:
    The base engine is a 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder that makes 180 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque, and for the first time in a Ford engine, there's cylinder deactivation. It shuts down one cylinder so it operates as a two-cylinder.
    A 3 banger with CD. Wow.
    I have not seen how they do it, but man oh man, would you buy one of those things?
    I also read that the 180 horsepower comes with premium fuel.
    It's worse on regular gas.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    The base engine is a 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder that makes 180 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque, and for the first time in a Ford engine, there's cylinder deactivation. It shuts down one cylinder so it operates as a two-cylinder.
    A 3 banger with CD. Wow.
    Here's one of the few reviews I could find of that engine.

The reviewer echos the same thing a lot of us say about Cylinder Deactivation in general: why bother for the marginal benefit? He had other issues with the 3-banger (gotta continuously get into it to keep the car moving; engine vibrations due to odd-#cylinder imbalance.

It makes one wonder what the holy grail is here: a one-cylinder with CD???
    Maybe pedals for passengers and Spinning Classes coupons?

I've ridden in one of these when I was a kid:

Maybe we're going back there. I'm sure we can put an SUV body on it...
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 09-30-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Well, I guess Ford must have thought it was a good idea too though.
    Just read a review in my local paper's auto section on the new for 2020 Escape.
    Ford finally did a clean sheet on it, so it's new from the ground up (the old platform had been around since around 2012 I believe)
    A 3 banger with CD. Wow.
    I have not seen how they do it, but man oh man, would you buy one of those things?
    I also read that the 180 horsepower comes with premium fuel.
    It's worse on regular gas.
    People say Fordís 4-cylinder engines are all based on Mazdaís. May be Ford still has crush on Mazdaís engineering and just follows suit?

Here's one of the few reviews I could find of that engine.

The reviewer echos the same thing a lot of us say about Cylinder Deactivation in general: why bother for the marginal benefit? He had other issues with the 3-banger (gotta continuously get into it to keep the car moving; engine vibrations due to odd-#cylinder imbalance.

It makes one wonder what the holy grail is here: a one-cylinder with CD???
    Maybe pedals for passengers and Spinning Classes coupons?

I've ridden in one of these when I was a kid:

Maybe we're going back there. I'm sure we can put an SUV body on it...
    Actually itís a two-cylinder with CD.

Yeah Iíd seen that 3-wheeler BMW when I was a kid, but have never ridden in one.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Actually it*s a two-cylinder with CD.

Yeah I*d seen that 3-wheeler BMW when I was a kid, but have never ridden in one.
    I'll display my ignorance here.

Why do you say it's a two-cylinder with CD? Is it because only 2 of the cylinders are always on? Would one refer to the Mazda as a two-cylinder with CD for the same reason?

Regarding the Beemer...we camped at Lake Michigan in the 50s and 60s, and the guy who managed the place (maybe the owner) would toodle around the campground in it and give us rides.

I'll display my ignorance here.

Why do you say it's a two-cylinder with CD? Is it because only 2 of the cylinders are always on? Would one refer to the Mazda as a two-cylinder with CD for the same reason?

Regarding the Beemer...we camped at Lake Michigan in the 50s and 60s, and the guy who managed the place (maybe the owner) would toodle around the campground in it and give us rides.
    Yes.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

I just can't imagine (in my head) a 3 cylinder, 90 cubic inch (1.5l) engine, in anything as big and heavy as an SUV.
    Honda's 1.5 engine is so small and anemic that it can't produce enough heat to warm up the cabin or defrost a windshield in the winter.
    What is Ford's engine going to do in that regard? And how much heat can it produce when only 2 cylinders are firing?
    BBrrrrrr.

Registered Member

I just can't imagine (in my head) a 3 cylinder, 90 cubic inch (1.5l) engine, in anything as big and heavy as an SUV.
    Honda's 1.5 engine is so small and anemic that it can't produce enough heat to warm up the cabin or defrost a windshield in the winter.
    What is Ford's engine going to do in that regard? And how much heat can it produce when only 2 cylinders are firing?
    BBrrrrrr.
    My Bugeye Sprite was 948CC, or 58CI. It was a 2-seater.
    This is the same cast iron engine they put in the Nash Metropolitan, also a 2 seater with a "jump seat" for 2 kids.

I'd never done this conversion before. Nor had I done the conversion on the Honda 1.5L
    That's tiny!!!

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Yup.
    1 litre is 61 cubic inches.
    A 5 litre V8 sounds huge, but it's only a 305 CI engine.
    The old 427 CI would be a whopping 7 litres. Sounds huge today.
    That's why I'm always impressed when I see something like Ferrari's 3.9L (238CI) V8 pumping out about 650 horsepower.
    For comparison, my first car was a 1965 Chevy with a straight 6, 250 CI, pumping out about 150HP. Coupled to a 2 speed automatic, it was a dog.
    It saw more action in the backseat than it did at a green traffic light.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast