Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

My CD started operating again after about 100 km driving - about the same time that I-Stop was ready for normal operation again.

Threshold for CD seems unchanged (ie, any speed, any RPM as long as the load is minimal). Maybe (just maybe) the 2->4 transition is a bit smoother. :)

tomsdk....Since you can monitor CD on your car, can you please do a test in Sport mode to see if CD still kicks in under light load?

I got my recall notice here in California, finally. Will be taking her in Friday. Can't wait to get this off my mind.

I got my recall notice here in California, finally. Will be taking her in Friday. Can't wait to get this off my mind.

That's good news.

I can imagine what it must be like to drive the car around wondering if your next move might inadvertently cause a rocker arm to fall off.

CD Failure Rate?

I have always wondered the failure rate associated with CD that Mazda experienced before decided to issue the recall.
I initially made an attempt to calculate the failure rate based on the 26th CD failing vehicles that the dealer told Go Hawks(one who started this thread) back in Oct, 2018 to the total sale figures of vehicles sold up to that point that equipped with CD feature. However, there was a flaw in that calculation because I did not know whether if the 26th affected vehicles were just CX-5 or both CX-5 and 6. Also, whether the 26 failures were from just one dealership or nationwide. So if you ran across my previous post about CD failure rate, erase it from your memory.

I recently came across this article from CNET, dated July 11, 2019, about Mazda recalling 262,000 vehicles for CD related failures. It also mentions that... "the automaker only just filed its 573 defect notification with the federal government". Does this mean there were 573 CD related failures?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mazda-recall-262000-cars-suvs-cylinder-deactivation-issues/

Last edited:
I think it's referring to the DOT code referring to recalls. It's not a number of cars.

see this

Good finding Shadonoz. I would very much like to know the total number of CD failures to see how rare or not the issue is, but I guess that number is only internal to Mazda.

Good finding Shadonoz. I would very much like to know the total number of CD failures to see how rare or not the issue is, but I guess that number is only internal to Mazda.

If it wasn't rare, we would be hearing about it on here. Just look at all of the OD posts on the CR-V forum, and everyone there claims it's rare. :D

If it wasn't rare, we would be hearing about it on here. Just look at all of the OD posts on the CR-V forum, and everyone there claims it's rare. :D

It's likely more widespread but people aren't reporting (CRV) unless they care to check or if something obvious happens.

Late to the party here... got the recall notification the other day... anyone else concerned that this has been a known issue for months yet they are just sending out recall notices? I asked Mazda that very question and they said they follow NHTSA regulations and started mailings c. August 20th when the fix was confirmed (suspect of that date). If there was a known issue dating back months before that could put people's lives in danger, wouldn't it have been nice to at least receive some sort of notification of the potential even if a fix wasn't full available? I contacted NHTSA who said Mazda is not obligated to wait to alert customers and they could have chosen to alert them sooner but were only bound to later on. Says a lot about Mazda if they withheld there could be such a critical issue.

Last edited:
It's likely more widespread but people aren't reporting (CRV) unless they care to check or if something obvious happens.

That's the frightening thing about the OD issue.

If you don't check or change your own oil, there's no way you know that you basically have no engine lubrication going on. The guy at Jiffy Lube ain't gonna notice, and the dealer sure isn't going to say anything.

Late to the party here... got the recall notification the other day... anyone else concerned that this has been a known issue for months yet they are just sending out recall notices? I asked Mazda that very question and they said they follow NHTSA regulations and started mailings c. August 20th when the fix was confirmed (suspect of that date). If there was a known issue dating back months before that could put people's lives in danger, wouldn't it have been nice to at least receive some sort of notification of the potential even if a fix wasn't full available? I contacted NHTSA who said Mazda is not obligated to wait to alert customers and they could have chosen to alert them sooner but were only bound to later on. Says a lot about Mazda if they withheld there could be such a critical issue.

Not that it makes Mazda clean on the issue...

GM recalls over 3.4 million pickups and SUVs to fix brake problem
Sept 10, 2019

Under pressure from the federal government, General Motors is recalling more than 3.4 million big pickup trucks and SUVs in the U.S to fix a brake problem.

GM says a pump in the power-assist brakes can put out less vacuum power than needed, increasing stopping distance and the risk of a crash. Dealers will recalibrate the electronic brake control module.

This affects model years 2014-2018. The NHTSA has been investigating this since November. Who knows how long people had been reporting this before the investigation began.

Last edited:
Safety recalls usually are forced by NHTSA, not initiated by car manufactures. That*s why it*s very important to file complaints for any safety related issues on our vehicles like we suggested earlier in this long thread before the recall happened.

The fuel filler pipe recall on gen-1 CX-5 was forced by NHTSA when they conducted a rear-end collision test on CX-5 and found fuel leak problem. Mazda had to come up a temporary solution and couldn*t sell the CX-5 in US market for a couple of weeks. A permanent solution with revised bracket and holder are only installed on new CX-5*s, the temporary solution, by removing one of the two bolts on a bracket holding the fuel filler pipe, is applied to sold CX-5*s.

Mazda may have to redesign the mechanism of the cylinder deactivation as the software fix really can*t cover every situation on oil pressure changes. EPB dragging issue is an example, as the revised rear brake calipers have to be installed, as software fixes on EPB control module on several earlier TSBs had failed to truly resolve the problem.

Safety recalls usually are forced by NHTSA, not initiated by car manufactures. That*s why it*s very important to file complaints for any safety related issues on our vehicles like we suggested earlier in this long thread before the recall happened.

The fuel filler pipe recall on gen-1 CX-5 was forced by NHTSA when they conducted a rear-end collision test on CX-5 and found fuel leak problem. Mazda had to come up a temporary solution and couldn*t sell the CX-5 in US market for a couple of weeks. A permanent solution with revised bracket and holder are only installed on new CX-5*s, the temporary solution, by removing one of the two bolts on a bracket holding the fuel filler pipe, is applied to sold CX-5*s.

Mazda may have to redesign the mechanism of the cylinder deactivation as the software fix really can*t cover every situation on oil pressure changes. EPB dragging issue is an example, as the revised rear brake calipers have to be installed, as software fixes on EPB control module on several earlier TSBs had failed to truly resolve the problem.

All I am saying is Mazda should have let vehicle owners know as soon as they knew there was an issue that was noted in multiple occurrences (especially when it could cause a crash). It is a business decision on Mazda's part not to notify as it can be done independently of the official recall that is issued. I think its a poor business decision. We can make our concerns known and perhaps Mazda will change how they do things in the future. Extreme example but can you imagine if your wife and kids are in a CX-5 that experiences the failure and somehow they end up critically injured or die and then you find out that the issue was known for months but there was no notification or opportunity for you to decide not to use the vehicle? Why should Mazda have the power to potentially decide one's fate?

Last edited:
That's the frightening thing about the OD issue.

If you don't check or change your own oil, there's no way you know that you basically have no engine lubrication going on. The guy at Jiffy Lube ain't gonna notice, and the dealer sure isn't going to say anything.
Don*t believe oil dilution issue on Honda CR-V is a *frightening* thing. The worst thing on oil dilution is your engine life shortened. Honda 1.5T has oil life monitor and will tell you when your oil needs to be changed. If you follow the notification with Flexible OCI, your 1.5T should be fine although you may have to change oil more ofteni if your engine suffers oil dilution issue even after the software fix.

I have several friends having Honda CR-V with 1.5T, none of them suffers oil dilution issue.

Last edited:
All I am saying is Mazda should have let vehicle owners know as soon as they knew there was an issue that was noted in multiple occurrences (especially when it could cause a crash). It is a business decision on Mazda's part not to notify as it can be done independently of the official recall that is issued. I think its a poor business decision. We can make our concerns known and perhaps Mazda will change how they do things in the future. Extreme example but can you imagine if your wife and kids are in a CX-5 that experiences the failure and somehow they end up critically injured or die and then you find out that the issue was known for months but there was no notification or opportunity for you to decide not to use the vehicle? Why should Mazda have the power to potentially decide one's fate?
Yes, I agree.

Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations didnt think this way, and made a poor business decision on this issue.

Further, Mazda Japan had made a very poor decision to design and implement cylinder deactivation system which carries bad reliability reputation with minimum gain on fuel efficiency into the 2.5L!

Yes, I agree.

Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations didnt think this way, and made a poor business decision on this issue.

Further, Mazda Japan had made a very poor decision to design and implement cylinder deactivation system which carries bad reliability reputation with minimum gain on fuel efficiency into the 2.5L!

Is it just North America that didn't admit to the problem? Isn't the problem world wide? In any case, Japan is certainly in on the response to this debacle.

I agree that owners should be notified as soon as the problem is confirmed, but I can't imagine how a company would phrase such a notification.

"We regret to inform you that your vehicle MAY have a problem that could lead to a crash. [insert descriptions of problem and possible scenarios] We do not have a fix available for this problem yet, but we are working on it. You may choose to not drive your new $30,000 vehicle until we get this sorted out. We want you to be an informed consumer, and appreciate your business."

That wouldn't fly. Anybody good with corporate doublespeak?

Consider the Takata airbag problem. About 100 million were installed in the US, and there have been 16 deaths. Tens of millions of potentially lethal projectiles are in cars that people are still driving. We've all been informed, but there isn't much we can do about it.

Perhaps the risk factor is so small that sometimes we just have to live with it. Small comfort to the people impacted, however.

Between CD and the jerky transmissions [both problems for 18s and 19s], Mazda could be facing a real existential crisis here.

Back