Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

Ordered a Mazda 6 with the 2.5 engine in Sweden before seeing this thread but after going through the posts thought it was better to ask some questions, namely if they had a procedure in place to check if the PCM had the correct programming. The dealer replied:

"I*m not sure if this car has the old or new program at this time, but i*m sure it will be reprogrammed before delivery if it*s the old one."

Which sounds like: be sure that if there is a procedure in the system we will apply it. So I decided to check with Mazda Sweden if the procedure was in place because SA-041/18 and SA-015/19 only check if the rocker arm already has fallen. The answer was:

"All of Mazda*s cars are checked in japan before shipped to each country,
And all specs arent the same all over the world , therefore a fault found in another region may not be applicable all over the world.
Issues may or may not be the same in all regions.
Mazda usually don*t need to upgrade any units after leaving the factory, the latest software are quickly implemented at the factory to avoid customers to need to come to the workshops."

This is worrying because there is no guarantee cars were imported to Europe before the issue was found and a preventive solution was in place. Even worse, it doesn't confirm (or deny) that a procedure exists in Sweden to check if the rocker arm has fallen if the customer complains about the same things as in the US. Great car to drive, beautiful design, but very poor attitude, it sounds like they don't care and don't want to know. For what can result in a fatal accident when overtaking this is far from being a reassuring answer.

Does anyone know if this issue affects European models as well (the engine seems the same but power is different, probably only software)? And if there are any procedures in place, namely in Germany where Mazda Europe is based, to check if the rocker arm has fallen, or even better, preventive procedures to solve or mitigate this issue?

my build date is nov 2018 for 2019 cx5, bought in apr 2019 , head tech said it was
updated with newest pcm , and that all 2019's were updated ...........

hope he was telling truth ...........

The thing is, the pcm update hid the real problem that the rocker arm was not on. If not for Go Hawks, jjm86m would still be driving with a missing rocker.

Ordered a Mazda 6 with the 2.5 engine in Sweden before seeing this thread but after going through the posts thought it was better to ask some questions, namely if they had a procedure in place to check if the PCM had the correct programming. The dealer replied:

"I*m not sure if this car has the old or new program at this time, but i*m sure it will be reprogrammed before delivery if it*s the old one."

Which sounds like: be sure that if there is a procedure in the system we will apply it. So I decided to check with Mazda Sweden if the procedure was in place because SA-041/18 and SA-015/19 only check if the rocker arm already has fallen. The answer was:

"All of Mazda*s cars are checked in japan before shipped to each country,
And all specs arent the same all over the world , therefore a fault found in another region may not be applicable all over the world.
Issues may or may not be the same in all regions.
Mazda usually don*t need to upgrade any units after leaving the factory, the latest software are quickly implemented at the factory to avoid customers to need to come to the workshops."

This is worrying because there is no guarantee cars were imported to Europe before the issue was found and a preventive solution was in place. Even worse, it doesn't confirm (or deny) that a procedure exists in Sweden to check if the rocker arm has fallen if the customer complains about the same things as in the US. Great car to drive, beautiful design, but very poor attitude, it sounds like they don't care and don't want to know. For what can result in a fatal accident when overtaking this is far from being a reassuring answer.

Does anyone know if this issue affects European models as well (the engine seems the same but power is different, probably only software)? And if there are any procedures in place, namely in Germany where Mazda Europe is based, to check if the rocker arm has fallen, or even better, preventive procedures to solve or mitigate this issue?
IMO, even Mazda isn't sure what the true cause of this falling rocker arm problem with cylinder deactivation. Notice that there's nothing mentioned on PCM updates in these two Service Alerts, SA-041/18 and SA-015/19, and this's an indication that PCM updates can't fix this issue.

I definitely this issue happens world wide with cylinder deactivation. There's no difference on design for CD, whether it's for Sweden or USA.

my build date is nov 2018 for 2019 cx5, bought in apr 2019 , head tech said it was
updated with newest pcm , and that all 2019's were updated ...........

hope he was telling truth ...........
What the head tech said is definitely NOT true, at least on rocker arm falling problem with cylinder deactivation even if all 2019 CX-5's do have the latest version firmware on PCM. Service Alert SA-015/19 issued on 4/8/2019 does include 2019 CX-5 which could have this rocker arm falling problem.

The thing is, the pcm update hid the real problem that the rocker arm was not on. If not for Go Hawks, jjm86m would still be driving with a missing rocker.
Yep, the newer version PCM definitely will mask the error code based on these 2 member's reports! But I do believe Mazda has also made some adjustments on oil pressure trying to "fix" the issue, although these adjustments are only the bandage to the problem and may not be able to fix the real issue. Both Service Alerts don't mention the PCM updates but just replace the whole engine, that to me definitely means PCM update is not the fix to the prolem.

Last edited:
Recall has started in Japan.
https://www.mlit.go.jp/common/001295361.pdf
https://www.mlit.go.jp/common/001295362.pdf
https://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/jidosha08_hh_003417.html

Same issue that is being discussed here....
US recall might not be far away....

(translation)
"In the engine control computer, the cylinder deactivation control program is inappropriate.
When returning from cylinder rest, the valve clearance adjustment mechanism may malfunction. That
Because of this, the rocker arm falls off and interferes with the peripheral parts, resulting in insufficient output due to engine misfire
In the worst case, the engine may stop."

Last edited:
If there's a recall, they must think they understand the problem AND have a fix.
Hope it's an easy one so the expense doesn't cripple the company.

Not sure if this is redundant or not - just received this recall notice on my month-old CX-5:

Jun 27,2019
Manufacturer Recall Number: 3719F
NHTSA Recall Number: 19V-497
Recall Status: Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary
On certain subject vehicles, the powertrain control module (PCM) software controlling the hydraulic valve clearance adjuster may operate improperly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes while driving, due to inappropriate control logic of the PCM. As a result, an intake valve rocker arm may come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts, which may cause an engine misfire and loss of power and/or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illumination.

Safety Risk
In the worst case, engine damage may occur, resulting in engine stall while driving without ability to be restarted, which may increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy
A Mazda dealer will reprogram the PCM with improved hydraulic valve adjustment control software, so that it may operate properly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes while driving.

Not sure if this is redundant or not - just received this recall notice on my month-old CX-5:
Not redundant at all. You're the first to report it here. Thanks.

But this: "Recall Status: Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available".

Just as presumed.

Got it - good to know. And nice to see that this recall is "incomplete" and the remedy is "not yet available". Between this issue and the uncomfortable seats, I'm beginning to regret leasing the CX-5 . Sure, just about all cars have some sort of issue, but this is a rather significant one - and one that even most savvy shoppers won't necessarily come across when looking at new vehicles. Well, hope my engine doesn't cut out at the wrong time....

Jun 27,2019
Manufacturer Recall Number: 3719F
NHTSA Recall Number: 19V-497
Recall Status: Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary
On certain subject vehicles, the powertrain control module (PCM) software controlling the hydraulic valve clearance adjuster may operate improperly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes while driving, due to inappropriate control logic of the PCM. As a result, an intake valve rocker arm may come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts, which may cause an engine misfire and loss of power and/or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illumination.

Safety Risk
In the worst case, engine damage may occur, resulting in engine stall while driving without ability to be restarted, which may increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy
A Mazda dealer will reprogram the PCM with improved hydraulic valve adjustment control software, so that it may operate properly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes while driving.

Interesting. So my idea that they came from the factory with the rocker arm off is wrong. My car was built in August 2018. I wonder if I will get a recall letter.

Think all 2018.
Just logged in mymazda and it shows the year , i dont see vin ranges, etc.
So I have the recall too. Car is made july 2018.

And from the NHTSA web site for my vin:

Jun 27,2019
Manufacturer Recall Number3719F
NHTSA Recall Number19V-497
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary

Safety Risk

Remedy

「cx-5」
kf5p-200003~kf5p-304386
平成 30 年 2 月 1 日~平成 31 年 4 月 20 日
(02/01/2018 - 04/20/2019)

「アテンザ」 (Atenza/Mazda6)
gj5fp-400004~gj5fp-401175
gj5fw-400003~gj5fw-400753
平成 30 年 4 月 23 日~令和元年 5 月 23 日
(04/23/2018 - 05/23/2019)

Back