Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by joemazdacx5 View Post
    he just said it was fixed with the 2019's .......... with that software update......

but just looking at what yrwei52 posted , looks like it's just a temp fix, just guessing..........

I wish I brought a print out of that service alert............. have one now...........and when I go back
    for some other question/answers, I'll bring this printout plus any other questions ............

amazing all the info on this site............. whether 50% true or accurate......... still alot to take in.......
    Note the reference to SA-041/18 in the above under Repair Procedure in the event of discovered broken/dislocated rocker arms.

Here it is on the NHTSA website. It outlines the steps the mechanic/dealer is to take.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by joemazdacx5 View Post
    he just said it was fixed with the 2019's .......... with that software update......

but just looking at what yrwei52 posted , looks like it's just a temp fix, just guessing..........

I wish I brought a print out of that service alert............. have one now...........and when I go back
    for some other question/answers, I'll bring this printout plus any other questions ............

amazing all the info on this site............. whether 50% true or accurate......... still alot to take in.......
    The 2019's can have the issue, it is the same motor. The software update is so the check engine light won't go on. That is what they did to jjm86m's car after his went into limp mode and the lights went on. After they did the software update he no longer got a check engine light and he continued to drive the car. Then after seeing this thread he insisted that they check the valves and low and behold the rocker arm assembly was off.
    I think that if you can accelerate fine and drive 80mph a few times without your car going into limp mode, your car is not one of the ones affected with the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more wrong with the affected engines because the 'fix' is installing a new engine instead of replacing the rocker, which would be much cheaper to do.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was more wrong with the affected engines because the 'fix' is installing a new engine instead of replacing the rocker, which would be much cheaper to do.
    That is the key. Of course Mazda is not forthcoming with the full story.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was more wrong with the affected engines because the 'fix' is installing a new engine instead of replacing the rocker, which would be much cheaper to do.
    That is the key. Of course Mazda is not forthcoming with the full story.
    Agreed. MyFirstMazda said it correctly that PCM software update is to not only raise the oil pressure in HLA like Mazda claimed, but also make CEL won't turn on even thought the rocker arm is laying down there based on jjm86m's experience. I believe this only masks the problem, and also indicates Mazda may not know why and how the problem happens. Yeah, if the problem can be resolved by simply raising the oil pressure, Mazda can also easily replace the fallen rocker arm back into the position and not to replace the entire engine which definitely is a lot more expensive.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Agreed. MyFirstMazda said it correctly that PCM software update is to not only raise the oil pressure in HLA like Mazda claimed, but also make CEL won't turn on even thought the rocker arm is laying down there based on jjm86m's experience. I believe this only masks the problem, and also indicates Mazda may not know why and how the problem happens. Yeah, if the problem can be resolved by simply raising the oil pressure, Mazda can also easily replace the fallen rocker arm back into the position and not to replace the entire engine which definitely is a lot more expensive.
    So if Mazda is replacing engines without the force of government or lawyers, do you think we can infer that the number of affected vehicles is small?

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Note the reference to SA-041/18 in the above under Repair Procedure in the event of discovered broken/dislocated rocker arms.

Here it is on the NHTSA website. It outlines the steps the mechanic/dealer is to take.
    Mazda Service Alert no. SA-041/18 issued on 12/06/2018 where you posted from NHTSA is for fallen or broken rocker arm with cylinder deactivation. The Service Alert no: SA-015/19 issued on 04/08/2019 where t.suv posted earlier from NHTSA is for fallen or broken rocker arm AND broken front and rear oil control valves with cylinder deactivation. For broken control valve, the Service Alert doesn't say the engine replacement is required. This makes me further believe there's more involved on rocker arm falling problem.

Mazda Service Alert SA-041_18_01.jpgMazda Service Alert SA-041_18_02.jpg

Mazda Service Alert SA-015_19_01.jpgMazda Service Alert SA-015_19_02.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    So if Mazda is replacing engines without the force of government or lawyers, do you think we can infer that the number of affected vehicles is small?
    Yes I believe the number of affected CX-5's should be very small at this time. But the POTENTIAL is there, and nobody knows when the rocker arm would be fallen off. I believe this uncertainty is more dangerous as there's no warning in advance. That's why OP's wife is afraid of driving her CX-5 now even though Mazda claimed the problem has been fixed.

I changed my mind getting a new 2018 CX-5 when I learned Mazda suddenly added cylinder deactivation for 1 (FWD) and 0 (AWD) MPG benefit. Now I definitely won't even recommend this 2.5L with CD to any of friends and family.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Yes I believe the number of affected CX-5's should be very small at this time. But the POTENTIAL is there, and nobody knows when the rocker arm would be fallen off. I believe this uncertainty is more dangerous as there's no warning in advance. That's why OP's wife is afraid of driving her CX-5 now even though Mazda claimed the problem has been fixed.

I changed my mind getting a new 2018 CX-5 when I learned Mazda suddenly added cylinder deactivation for 1 (FWD) and 0 (AWD) MPG benefit. Now I definitely won't even recommend this 2.5L with CD to any of friends and family.
    I was looking at the CX-5 back in 2018 before stuff caused me to delay my decision. Had I realized that CD was new for that model year, I would not even have considered it...I am not an "Early Adopter." I only went with the turbo because it has been around in the CX-9 for a while.

Thanks for your reply on the NHTSA Bulletin I linked. I find it interesting that the one I posted (that was referred to in t.suv's Service Alert) calls for verifying oil change records as part of the process, while the one t.suv posted that specifically says to look for contamination and debris does not call for looking at oil service records. It seems they're not even looking at lack of maintenance as a source of the debris.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718