Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

Let's start researching on how to disable CD permanently on these Mazdas. But keep in mind one problem - Assume there is a way to disable CD, how are we going to know we really disable it when the transition from Cylinder deactivation to Cylinder activation or vice versa is so seamless or unnoticeable as others have reported?

[tin foil]What if the PCM "fix" already does just that, and they're not telling us? No one is gonna notice the incremental decline in fuel economy.[/tin foil]

Around $800

Bear in mind its labor time + new valve cover gasket if you go that route. plus removing few parts, reconnecting them after and there is the exhaust oil control valve seal as well. Thats if you want to go by the book :)

Exactly. My dealership quoted me like $800 or so to visually inspect, unfortunately.

I'd ask if that charge would not apply if they found an issue.

It might factor into your decision-making process.

It wouldn't surprise me that a dealership charging $800 dollars would lie about finding something really wrong. After all, very few places will let you watch the mechanic.

It wouldn't surprise me that a dealership charging $800 dollars would lie about finding something really wrong. After all, very few places will let you watch the mechanic.

Doesn't it suck that something of so high a cost on such a life-necessary item is chock-full of [justified] mistrust?

My brother owned his own shop until he retired, and was written up in his local paper for how he helped people get other shops to fix their questionable work for free...one instance the work was out of warranty and he still got it redone at no cost for the guy. But he was a rarity.

Doesn't it suck that something of so high a cost on such a life-necessary item is chock-full of [justified] mistrust?

My brother owned his own shop until he retired, and was written up in his local paper for how he helped people get other shops to fix their questionable work for free...one instance the work was out of warranty and he still got it redone at no cost for the guy. But he was a rarity.

I'm 77 and fight depression when thoughts of this changing world enters my brain. In fact, I believe it is changing at an exponential pace.

Every once in a while, but very seldom, I find a business person like your brother. When I do, I want to adopt him or her. :)

Many years ago, I had very close friends who were in business and had values like your brother. They were in Farmville and South Hill, Va. Unfortunately, they are no longer with us.

Last edited:
I'm 77 and fight depression when thoughts of this changing world enters my brain. In fact, I believe it is changing at an exponential pace.

Boy, we could really derail this thread fast. There are lots of us who feel as you do.

Well guys, guess who just bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring last saturday (lol)? Love the car but this problem stresses me out. This is my first new car and I have a 2 year old son who I drive all over the place. I ran my VIN number and didn't see any recalls for it yet.

What should I do?

Well guys, guess who just bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring last saturday (lol)? Love the car but this problem stresses me out. This is my first new car and I have a 2 year old son who I drive all over the place. I ran my VIN number and didn't see any recalls for it yet.

What should I do?

You should relax and enjoy your new car! Even with the recall issues, it's still the best.

Just don't try any risky maneuvers... but I'm sure you won't with a 2 year old in the car anyway. :)

Thanks for the prompt response! I ran my vin at that site and it shows one closed recall. Does that mean the fix was applied before I bought the vehicle?

Sorry for the noob question by the way.

Yours was fixed. My status still says 'Incomplete; Remedy not yet available'

Guys thanks for your time. I look forward to spending more time on the forums and learning more about the CX-5 and other Mazdas in general. I love my CX-5 and chose it over other cars after nearly 2 years of research and a few years of saving. I love the design language of the cars and Mazda's emphasis on handling.

Question: This engine with CD is used in the 3 and the 6, and is not unique to the CX-5. Does this recall include those as well?
Just curious.

What problem is that for, if I may ask?

For the CD concern. I know one guy on the forum got his fixed and he is in NJ. I don't get why mine gets that message. I called the dealership a week or two ago and they said they didn't have the part yet and they would call me when they got the part in. I have delayed calling them because I want them to fix a few before me so they get some practice doing it (help)

Last edited:
Guys thanks for your time. I look forward to spending more time on the forums and learning more about the CX-5 and other Mazdas in general. I love my CX-5 and chose it over other cars after nearly 2 years of research and a few years of saving. I love the design language of the cars and Mazda's emphasis on handling.

There is a lot of knowledge here.

My CX-5 is my first Mazda, and I also put a lot of research into before buying. Much of my research was asking NOOB questions here.

Congrats on the new addition to the family! Oh, and congrats on the kid, too ;)

Back