Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

The old style captured the rockers with a rod going through them. Now most ohc engines have free floating rocker arms like in this older video at the 8:35 mark. It is not a new invention by Mazda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmplL0Sfac#t=515

Thanks for that. I've never torn down an engine larger than a mini bike.

I reread a Road & Track article on the Skyactiv-X engine the other day. My head's still humming from that one.

Per the article:
"It sounds confusing at first, and unfortunately the complications accumulate as you dive deeper "

Thank you Mulligan for a very clear explanation of the subject.

As for my car, I am already after the firmware update.

I checked and the software version (PCM - English Forscan version it will be "strategy" or "strategy file") after connecting Forscan has actually changed so I have confirmed that the update has been carried out.

However, I do not confirm that there is a transition period after the update (cd off for some time), the cylinder deactivation system start working immediately after leaving Mazda dealer.

Last edited:
I reread a Road & Track article on the Skyactiv-X engine the other day. My head's still humming from that one.

The Skyactiv-X engine looks intriguing, indeed. I read this Car & Driver article that gave an early review of it:

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...n-ignition-gas-engine-prototype-drive-review/

The article mentions knocking noises from the engine, though. Could that be an annoying issue - or something Mazda will hopefully fix by launch? Per the article:

However, it is audible, thanks to copious knock (detonation) that hangs around any time the engine isnt fully in a single ignition setting. During clean transitions from spark to compression ignition or back, the X emits its stuttered knocking soundtrack for about a second or two. However, whenever the computers move close to one ignition state from the other, the knocking drags on.

The Skyactiv-X engine looks intriguing, indeed. I read this Car & Driver article that gave an early review of it:

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...n-ignition-gas-engine-prototype-drive-review/

The article mentions knocking noises from the engine, though. Could that be an annoying issue - or something Mazda will hopefully fix by launch? Per the article:

*However, it is audible, thanks to copious knock (detonation) that hangs around any time the engine isn*t fully in a single ignition setting. During clean transitions from spark to compression ignition or back, the X emits its stuttered knocking soundtrack for about a second or two. However, whenever the computers move close to one ignition state from the other, the knocking drags on.*

The introductory paragraph of the Road and Track article ends with "It's a gasoline engine that encourages knock, but in a controlled manner." As you know, this is because Mazda tries to get the efficiencies of compression ignition whenever possible with spark plug assist when required, according to the article.

Of course, all of this is in search of ever-increasing mileage figures.
Perhaps other benefits will be realized from the engineering investments made in search of that goal.

God bless the early adopters out there who help flesh out the bugs.
I'm not one of them.

Last edited:
Turn it OFF?

I emailed OVTune on Thursday:

I'm looking for a way to disable cylinder deactivation on the Mazda 2.5.
Can you guys help? Thanks.

The response today:

Good day!
We don't support the cylinder deactivation at this time.
Thank you and best regards.
-
OVTune - Lead Developer/ECU Assembly Development/Toyota Calibration Lead

Still waiting for a response from VersaTune.

..I need to drive more miles to draw any conclusions.

My CD started operating again after about 100 km driving - about the same time that I-Stop was ready for normal operation again.

Threshold for CD seems unchanged (ie, any speed, any RPM as long as the load is minimal). Maybe (just maybe) the 2->4 transition is a bit smoother. :)

I just viewed an engine tear down video that showed a small spring clip that holds the rocker to the lifter. Stated that there is no chance of rocker falling off. ED

I just viewed an engine tear down video that showed a small spring clip that holds the rocker to the lifter. Stated that there is no chance of rocker falling off. ED
This or something similar should be included by Mazda for rocker arm falling recall.

Now the most important thing for me is to find a simple way to check the valves without removing the cover.
It can be checked with a camera, tomorrow I will have a camera on a rigid cable because a flexible endoscope is a bad choice.

Now the most important thing for me is to find a simple way to check the valves without removing the cover.
It can be checked with a camera, tomorrow I will have a camera on a rigid cable because a flexible endoscope is a bad choice.

I just bought a semi-flexible endoscope for a different use. Can you really get in to the far-end cylinders with a rigid one?

I look forward toseeing if anyone can view the deactivated rocker with an external camera. If it is easy, I'm surprised MAZDA haven't suggested it to dealers. Ed

As I mentioned before, there is access but movement is difficult. With a flexible cable we are not sure that we see the right place, I think that different camera with better cable will be easier to use.

However, the distance to the oil filler is not great. Take a look at the pictures on page 15 of this thread.

Would it be possible to put a scope through the spark plug hole after hand cranking the engine to the exhaust stroke on the cylinder in question? Would certainly be easier to scope via valve cover if you could get to the area of concern.

I safely presume that Mazda Corp. knows / remedies this eventual problem better than some of the authors here?
My 2.5 L FW was upgraded, free of charge >2 months ago, (may, 2019)just before undertaking a long trip within Europe (some 2.000 km).
Engine runs fine! (with CD.....)
And yes, I am one of those concerned by the TSB (VIN nr affected).
I do hope that this issue is not a storm in a glass of water.

Hello all,

Long time member, but haven't posted in years. My wife and I have been looking to replace her 17 Toyota 4Runner with a smaller more fuel efficient car, and have decided we really like the CX-5. We went to a local dealer over the past weekend,a nd brokered a deal on a lease of a 19 Touring with preferred package in Jet Black Mica.

However we have not finalized the deal. Yesterday while at a gas station in my work van a woman pulled up to refuel in her CX-5. I asked her how she liked it. She said she loved it, but it hasn't been without troubles. She said hers had a problem with losing power, and that Mazda replaced her engine due to a rocker arm falling off. I thought that sounded fishy, but decided to do some digging on it. I found this thread. It is a little worrisome that we might be signing up for a lease on this car knowing that Mazda thinks they have it fixed with the computer re-flash, but I'm not convinced. Should I be worried? Should I not lease this car? I know it has a warranty, but I don't want to have to deal with issues, and I sure don;t want my wife to be driving this and run into a dangerous situation with loss of power, and limp mode unexpectedly.

I safely presume that Mazda Corp. knows / remedies this eventual problem better than some of the authors here?
My 2.5 L FW was upgraded, free of charge >2 months ago, (may, 2019)just before undertaking a long trip within Europe (some 2.000 km).
Engine runs fine! (with CD.....)
And yes, I am one of those concerned by the TSB (VIN nr affected).
I do hope that this issue is not a storm in a glass of water.

We do not solve this problem because it is not our task.
Honestly, I don't worry too much about it now, but I will investigate and check what I can check for myself.

15,000 miles traveled so far without any problem and I am really happy with the car

Last edited:
Back