Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

My theory is that the lifter was bad and fell off right away. The reason I think this is when I zoomed in on the picture I see what appears to be the number 15 on the cam lobe which I circled. This would have been worn away and the lobe shiny like all the other ones are. I couldn't see any numbers on any other lobes.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

This is the lobe next to the one with the variable lifter. It appears to have a lot more wear and even seems to have a scratch. In conclusion, if you have an affected car, your lifter is probably already fallen off and you just don't know it. This is purely speculation on my part though.

Last edited by MyFirstMazda; 05-17-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    I went through the same thing.

Researching cars is like reading the negative reviews on Amazon. You sometimes walk away feeling like your best option is to do nothing. Eventually you just hold your nose and jump in, hoping for the best (helluva way to spend ten$ of thousand$).

I dodged the Honda oil dilution issue because my brother (a mechanic) warned me against new engines, so I did research I would not have otherwise done (I was relying on the CR-V popularity.)

I dodged the Mazda CD issue only because life issues got in the way when car shopping in the fall of 2018. When I picked up again in February, the turbo had been released. But now there are folks talking about the turbo occasionally not working in certain weather conditions. Like you, I read a lot on these sites and independent reviews, and did not see any major negative issues (except the SCRM paint, which is easily avoided by making a different color choice).

This is not like buying a $50 drill that does not perform properly. You get much better customer service when spending way less money. And even if you have to eat it, it's only $50.

A car is not so easy to get out from under...and it ain't cheap. It's this lack of sufficient relief that spikes the angst.
    Yep, Toyota recalling the 2019 Ravs with trans problems, Subara with valve train problems...it's like the late 70s early 80s all over again, car manufacturers putting out crap.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Yep, Toyota recalling the 2019 Ravs with trans problems, Subara with valve train problems...it's like the late 70s early 80s all over again, car manufacturers putting out crap.
    Yes, and charging us a small fortune for that crap.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Wait, I did see Toyota has issued a recall for 3,400 of its 2019 Corolla Hatchback models in the U.S. due to the torque converter problem in its CVT which could fail and result in the loss of power.

So what's the problem on 2019 RAV4 with its 8-speed transmission?

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Wait, I did see Toyota has issued a recall for 3,400 of its 2019 Corolla Hatchback models in the U.S. due to the torque converter problem in its CVT which could fail and result in the loss of power.

So what's the problem on 2019 RAV4 with its 8-speed transmission?
    I can't find the place where I saw the RAV 4 trans being recalled, maybe a mistake, discount that for now. Anyway, numerous problems and complaints with the 2019 RAV4 transmission with rough shifting.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/9...-new-rav4.html
    Last edited by madar; 05-17-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Registered Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport, 2009 CX9(Wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    My theory is that the lifter was bad and fell off right away. The reason I think this is when I zoomed in on the picture I see what appears to be the number 15 on the cam lobe which I circled. This would have been worn away and the lobe shiny like all the other ones are. I couldn't see any numbers on any other lobes.

I don't think I've ever seen a cam lobe with anything imprinted or just printed on them. All have been smooth.
    Not to say that it's never been done, but the finish on the cam lobe surface is almost as critical as the bearing surfaces.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a cam lobe with anything imprinted or just printed on them. All have been smooth.
    Not to say that it's never been done, but the finish on the cam lobe surface is almost as critical as the bearing surfaces.
    I don't think it is as critical with roller cam followers as it was with the old sliders...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617