Transmission doing fine then slipped now won't engage

Harlee

:
2010 CX9
2010 CX9 Touring FWD, 3.7, 6 speed auto

This is the 2nd time this has happened.

1st time going down the Interstate passing a truck about 70, the transmission went out of gear. I coasted over and stopped, put it in park and back in gear, it did fine for a few miles then did it again but the car wouldn't move. No check engine light came on.

Got a 50K transmission from a junk yard, installed buy a professional transmission shop. It ran fine for a month, real well.

Today it did the same thing (Interstate, passing and all) I was able to pull over and reengage the drive a couple of times but it started slipping more and more till it quit. I had gotten to a gas station by the time it quit so that was good.

Transmission is under warranty still but not labor. It may take another transmission but there has to be something else as well.

Any ideas other than a 3rd transmission? Trying to find my code tester, what a time to lose it.

It has been leaking a bit underneath on the passengers side but it's oil and not transmission fluid. Transmission fluid is full and looks OK.

Last edited:
Ok I messed with it yesterday and it looks like when they rebuilt the transmission they put 2 quarts extra in it, or something stuck and isn't letting the transmission fluid circulate. I don't know but I drained about 2 quarts out and the dipstick is showing the level is correct now.

It's not showing any codes except when I put it in drive and I get a code P0722 (Which I think is the VSS) but I can't find a symptom listed of transmission will not engage. Or is it doing that cause the transmission is toast and a c0300 and a c0301

I tried several scanners and Forscan Demo pulled this code u0140 which seems to be a wiring short. I have thier Windows version which will do more so I'm going to hook it up later this afternoon.

The Forscan scanner looks to be great.

Finally called my mechanic and he said he's done about 20 of these and it's the worst transmission he's ever seen. He will R&R it for $450 plus fluids. He's the best mechanic I have ever seen so it's on for it's 3rd transmission.

Back