Which Fluid Flush is Most Important?

Follow the Owners Manual. Anything more is spoiling the car (I do it) and may or may not make it last longer.

Since car manufactures never specify replacement interval for brake fluid in the US, we can simply get this brake fluid tester (less than $2 from China!) to verify if the brake fluid really needs to be replaced.

Unobtanium's dealer tested his previous 2015 CX-5 at ~100,000 miles and told him his brake fluid needs replacement as the fluid contains 2% of moisture. My 185,000-mile 1998 Honda CR-V was having factory Japanese brake fluid for over 20 years until recent brake pads and shoes replacement, but the fluid flushed out still looked clear, and I have never had any brake fluid related issues before the fluid replacement. (knock on wood)

attachment.php

View attachment 220806

What are they testing in that lower right picture?
1. That's way too big of a reservoir for brake fluid.
2. There's a ridiculous amount of moisture on the inside of the reservoir if it was for brake fluid. You wouldn't need a moisture tester to determine that there's excessive moisture.

What are they testing in that lower right picture?
1. That's way too big of a reservoir for brake fluid.
2. There's a ridiculous amount of moisture on the inside of the reservoir if it was for brake fluid. You wouldn't need a moisture tester to determine that there's excessive moisture.

Seems to me that the people who are selling this product do not even know how to use their own device. It looks like their testing the windshield washer fluid reservoir in that pic. Clearly the brake fluid reservoir is to the left.

What's worse is that the green LED is lit up indicating no moisture!

Last edited:
Seems to me that the people who are selling this product do not even know how to use their own device. It looks like their testing the windshield washer fluid reservoir in that pic. Clearly the brake fluid reservoir is to the left.

What's worse is that the green LED is lit up indicating no moisture!
And the tester is different from the one they're selling too. ;)

I believe they're testing the coolant reservoir, a common location for VW vehicles.

Back