Rear Brake Pad Wear Indicator Clip Position

:
2016 CX-9 Signature/2015 CX-5 Touring/2013 MX-5 GT PRHT
I installed new rear OEM pads and shims yesterday. I took out the driver side pads and installed the new one with new shims with the indicator clip at the bottom position of the caliper. This was how the old ones came out. I assumed the rear passenger side pads would be the same orientation. So I loaded the shims onto the pad with grease in the same way as the driver side. Upon removing the old passenger side pads, I realized the indicator clips are flipped, so now when I installed the new pads, the clips would be at the top position of the caliper. Whereas the factory install had them at the bottom position.

It was getting late and I just wanted to get the job done. I didn't fix the orientation and just stuck with inserting the new pads with the clips nearest the top position.

Does the position of the wear indicator on OEM pads matter for this car?

I just installed the OEM rear pads. I noticed the same thing you did. The new pads had the same orientation for the wear indicator. So installing them one side would be flipped. I don't believe its an issue, both directions would still contact the rotor once the pad is worn.

Thanks for the response. A few days after I did the install, i decided to re-orient the passenger side so that the clips were positioned at the bottom position. It didn't take too long to pull the tire and pads out and redo the grease and shims. The paranoia was making me lose sleep. Not only that, I also had the lower caliper slider nut on the same rear passenger side that was spinning in place with the slider bolt. Not knowing if this bolt was tighten properly or if something was overtighten made me lose sleep too.

Back