shopping for a soul red gt reserve. Is the red paint still a problem?

:
2019 GT Reserve - Deep Blue 2016 Mazda3 iTouring - Soul Red
Hello. Currently shopping for soul red gtr for my wife. I read many times that the soul red color layer is very thin and chips very easily. If thats still a problem, we might go with the deep blue mica.
Thank you

Hello. Currently shopping for soul red gtr for my wife. I read many times that the soul red color layer is very thin and chips very easily. If thats still a problem, we might go with the deep blue mica.
Thank you

I've had a 2016 CX-5 Red Soul and a 2019 CX-5 Red Soul. No problem at all with "thin paint" and, or, "chipping". It's a sensational color, buy it ;)

I think it depends a lot on your driving style and the roads you travel on. If you tend to follow closely, or if you find yourself behind construction vehicles or semi trucks a lot, your paint is more likely to chip (same goes with pitting/cracks in the windshield). Soul Red is a beautiful colour, so if you decide to get it, I would suggest having paint protection film installed on the entire front end (full hood, fenders, bumper, side mirrors, A-pillars and the leading edge of the roof). Expect to pay $1k+ for the PPF and installation. If you can, make sure that the original paint has had 30-60 days to cure before installing PPF.

After the PPF installation, you can apply a good wax or sealant once or twice a year to give the car (and the PPF) some UV protection, make it easier to clean, and make the Soul Red pop even more.

we live in nor cal, san francisco bay area. Driving around here got hit by many small rocks. we both got our winsdhields cracked at some point. I was thinking about the ppf and ceramic coating. But they run a little pricey.
i'll update later with our color choice. thanks

With red, I'd worry less about it chipping and more about it fading and becoming dull due to sun exposure. By the physics of light reflection and absorption, red cars are the most susceptible to sun fading. If you wax regularly and routinely garage your car, it's not much of an issue, but I'd never own a red car in a sunny climate where the car sits outside most of the time.

- Mark

Good to know. The other day i saw a brand new red cx-9 under the sun and man it looked great. Right now we are more inclined towards the Deep Blue Mica just because of the extra savings and the availability. Tomorrow morning well give the green light to the dealer and hopefully pick it up on Thursday.

Back