Homelink with Craftsman Garage Door Opener - Won't Work - Help

2019 CX-5 GT with Homelink. Craftsman Garage Door opener (probably about 15 years old I'm guessing with battery backup - although the battery backup still works so maybe it's a newer model that was installed by previous owner?)

Anyway, I read the manual, watched the videos and can't get it to work.

First, I'm not sure why some instructions say to park the car outside except from possibly something the lawyers came up with in case someone was so stupid they didn't realize the door might be activated when following this procedure and accidentlly hurt someone or something with the door coming down?

1) Hold button 1 and 3 until rapid blink to clear codes
2) Hold transmitter button 2 inches away and hold button 1, wait for change to rapid blink
3) Press homelink button twice (door doesn't open as expected as I have a rolling code opener)
4) Press learn button (bottom purple button on door opener in garage) - yellow light on opener comes on.
5) Within 30 seconds, press the homelink button for 2 seconds and release and repeat one more time

My garage opener light flashed after the first 2 seconds, then nothing happens and the Homelink button won't open it holding it a third, or even fourth time.

So I found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSe_Yhez-ro ) which says to press the Homelink button 3 times and not hold it very long. That doesn't work either.

So I figure maybe step 5 in the video is incorrect

Step 5 nothing happens but if instead I hold the Homelink button, after 2-3 seconds the light on my garage opener flashes. And then I press the Homelink button 3 times after that and nothing happens. Holding the Homelink button after that, nothing happens, just blinks rapid.

I know there is a "bridge" unit you can buy necessary for some openers. However, it seems to me, if the Homelink button causes the opener to flash the light, then it IS communicating and I would think the "bridge" wouldn't be necessary. But I can't get it to work!

I've tried almost every permutation I can think of, including skippng step 3, only pressing and holding once on step 3. One time, the garage opener blinked a second time on my second or third press and hold when in learning mode but still, didn't work in the end.

At the end of my rope on this. If a bridge isn't required my only guess now is that because I can't fully disconnect power from the receiver when I initially program the button, due to battery backup, maybe that's the 'rolling code' feature thinking the Homelink is a foreig transmitter. But I doubt that as the "Learn" button should make all that not relevant and effectively temporarily disable the security aspect of the folling code thing while it learns the Homelink button?

I have a 2018 CX GT and 25 years old Craftman garage door openers. My CX paired with the garage both garage doors with no issues. I followed the instructions in the manual - page 4-69.

1. disconnect power to garage doors
2. position the end of the hand-held door transmitter 2-3 inches away from the Homelink button
3. simultaneously press and hold the Homelink button you want to program and the hand-held door transmitter
4. after the Homelink indicator light changes from a slow to rapidly blinking light, release both the Homelink and hand-held transmitter button.

Wade

While my 2016 CX-5 learned on the first try with my Chamberlain/Liftmaster opener, my 2019 required that Step 7 on that same opener....I had similar issues as the OP, and only when I read those instructions closely and did the repeat steps did it finally work.

Nope. I followed those instructions exactly. Clear codes, press remote and Homelink and hold until the blink changes. Hit learn on the opener press and hold homelink, it blinks fast then after 2 seconds goes solid and opener light blinks. Repeat, same thing, fast then solid. Opener doesn't blink. Repeat. Repeat. No blinking of opener, no door opening.

It's a Crafftsman die hard with battery backup made in 5/2010. I found a post elsewhere about something to do with Assurelink and needing some sort of tranceiver. Although chatting with Homelink they seemed to think it should be compatible since the opener blinks. They though the CFL bulb might be causing issues (reminds me of terrible Microsoft reaching to try to solve a problem they don't know the cause) so I took all the bulbs out and no different.

The local garage servicers want to charge $60 to come out and do it. They won't be able to unless they have the tranceiver (assuming I need one). They all want to come out and tell me I need a tune up on my garage, new rollers, etc. My friend used to work for a garage service company. They are all the same and take advantage of people because no one knows anything about the longevity and necessary maintenance on garage doors. But that for another discussion. I told them sure, I'll pay $60 if you can do it but $0 if you leave without getting it to work.

Sounds like your programing procedure is consistent with Homelink's steps. I have min programed to two different garage door openers, a genie and a chamberlin. The genie did not require the learning step and opens as soon as I press the homelink button. The chamberlin required the learning step and I've found that I have to hold the homelink button considerably longer before the door begins to open. In fact, it flashed multiple times then goes solid when the door begins to open.

I programmed both mine and my husband's last week. I too have to hold the homelink button on the mirror longer than I had to press the actual opener button. My husband's (subaru) isn't like that, opens on a short press. I also read somewhere where someone who was having issues simply drove off somewhere away from his house, performed the programming of the homelink button / garage door opener and then drove home. It worked after that.

Garage door opener could have the memory full with too many remotes programmed to it.

Have you tried erasing all remotes from the unit and adding back the original remotes first before trying to add the Homelink?

The chamberlin required the learning step and I've found that I have to hold the homelink button considerably longer before the door begins to open. In fact, it flashed multiple times then goes solid when the door begins to open.

Same here as well--I live in a townhouse-style development with an inner U-shaped roadway where all the garage doors are located, and the signal range from my 2019 vehicle seems to be less powerful than my 2016. I could hit the button on the top of the entry U-arm in my old car and my garage would open, while the new car requires me to be at least just before the turn down the second driveway arm where my garage is located. And as you noted, I have to hold the button for much longer than in my 2016. And nothing has been altered on the actual garage opener, either.

Not a big deal at all, in reality, just took some getting used to.

What is really cool is that the new mirror's Homelink correctly shows by way of an illuminated directional arrow if the garage door is going up or down, and that's also a means to tell if the door is actually opening while I am pressing the button before I am in visual range. Otherwise, there's just the (I think) orange dot that flashes while pressing the button.

Last edited:
Back