Sirius XM issues on a 2019 CX-5 GT

I've has XM since the early days. I still have (and use) my original Delphi radio.

I've carried that Delphi from my home to my car to my job, and have also had 2 truck receivers with XM built in (still have one of those that I drive occasionally).

I've never had any of these problems. Not a single one. Not in 3 decades using 3 different receivers.

In the 6 months since owning my CX-5, I've not only had XM not load several times (and this seems to be getting more frequent), I've also had problems since Day 1 with the Voice Recognition function of the radio not working at all and occasional issues with the NAV not loading properly. And I'm retired. I am not a daily driver.

I love your optimism.
But it ain't Sirus.

SiriusXM is always updating their hardware. It*s completely conceivable that the hardware in our model year has new components or software.

I*m in the same position as you. I*ve had 3-4 Sirius receivers over the years and never had any issues.

I have a friend who has a grand Cherokee and HES having issues too.

All of the issues I*ve had on the infotainment system have been when I*m using SiriusXM. Working in the IT industry and with hardware, I would highly suspect there*s something wrong with either the software or hardware for the SXM module.

SiriusXM is always updating their hardware. It*s completely conceivable that the hardware in our model year has new components or software.

I*m in the same position as you. I*ve had 3-4 Sirius receivers over the years and never had any issues.

I have a friend who has a grand Cherokee and HES having issues too.

All of the issues I*ve had on the infotainment system have been when I*m using SiriusXM. Working in the IT industry and with hardware, I would highly suspect there*s something wrong with either the software or hardware for the SXM module.

Gotcha.

I gave no thought to there being proprietary hardware in these systems. I was thinking of pure Mazda software glitches. I guess it makes sense, since these are subscription services and not just receivers of free satellite signals. It's the intermittent nature of the problems and the fact that restarting the vehicle makes them change state (start/stop working) that led me to a software problem conclusion. The other thing that led me to it being a software loading problem is that when the system works, it never fails while I'm driving. And when the system does not work, it never starts to work again until I restart the car. This applies to both XM Radio not loading and the radio's XM Voice Recognition software either working or not during that driving session.

I've had other infotainment issues I commented on elsewhere. I was using my NAV system once, and the route was displayed on the screen but I was receiving no route guidance...nothing by voice and nothing on the HUD. I pulled to the side of the road and rebooted the infotainment system and it did not fix the problem (as an aside, I've yet to figure out exactly what gets rebooted, since this step has never fixed any XM or NAV software loading issue I've had...only engine restarts do that, and even then the car needs to sit for a while).

So I drove up the road and decided to pull into a gas station to turn off the ignition and restart the car in order to get a fresh NAV software load. As soon as I turned slightly in a direction going away from my destination, the system "woke up." The voice said "recalculating route," and the directions on the HUD appeared. It was fine after that.

I rarely use the NAV...probably 3-4 times in all since I got the car...so this is a high failure rate in my circumstances.

Last edited:
Gah just got my new CX5 GTR. Same issue. About once a week the XM will cut out and I'll get channel 130 and some 300 channels. Super annoying. Doesn't seem like there's anything to be done but id figured I'd post as another vote that this is a software issue. I'll let my dealer know as well. Hopefully they can fix it in the next update.

The infotainment isn't terrible but it isn't great.

I came from a 2011 sonata. Zero issues with XM for the ten years i owned it. Though sometimes the ac/heat wouldn't come on when the car started. So each car has it's niggles.

Gah just got my new CX5 GTR. Same issue. About once a week the XM will cut out and I'll get channel 130 and some 300 channels.

So does XM cut out while you're driving after it's been working OK for a while, or does it sometimes just not load properly when you start the car?

My experience has been:

-If XM loads properly when I start the car, it never stops working during that driving session (meaning until I turn the car off). Every feature that worked when I started the car continues to work during that driving session...100% of the time.

-If XM does not load properly when I start the car (either no XM at all or just some features do not work), those things never begin working during that driving session...they only return after I turn off the car and restart it (and they don't always return the very next time I restart the car).

Last edited:
Gah just got my new CX5 GTR. Same issue. About once a week the XM will cut out and I'll get channel 130 and some 300 channels. Super annoying. Doesn't seem like there's anything to be done but id figured I'd post as another vote that this is a software issue. I'll let my dealer know as well. Hopefully they can fix it in the next update.

The infotainment isn't terrible but it isn't great.

I came from a 2011 sonata. Zero issues with XM for the ten years i owned it. Though sometimes the ac/heat wouldn't come on when the car started. So each car has it's niggles.

I had that issue - check your version of the Infotainment - is it on 70.00.335C ?

check that - I had that issue you are having a LOT before the upgrade to 70.00.335C

Just doesn't load properly sometimes when I start the car. I read someone solved it by subscribing for a year and getting off the free trail. Mostly works great all other times.

It's def some sort of software issue. When it happened once I did a factory reset without restarting the car. XM did not come back. So i think it's an issue with how the XM module communicates with the Mazda system.

I had that issue - check your version of the Infotainment - is it on 70.00.335C ?

check that - I had that issue you are having a LOT before the upgrade to 70.00.335C

I believe i'm on that. I was def on 70.xx when I checked. Did your issue completely go away with the new software version?

Even if you read threads around here people have issues but they don't worry about it. I read a thread where the poster was like "XM didn't work, but then the next day it did, oh well"

I believe i'm on that. I was def on 70.xx when I checked. Did your issue completely go away with the new software version?

Even if you read threads around here people have issues but they don't worry about it. I read a thread where the poster was like "XM didn't work, but then the next day it did, oh well"

The update seriously cut down on the # of issues I was having. It would mess up a LOT before the update.. Once the update was installed, my # of issues cut back dramatically, UNTIL the last week.

Last week, I started having complete reboots of the infotainment system. "Black screen of death" in Windows vernacular. Screen would go black, Audio would still play.. I'd get the circling "in work" icon, then it would reboot. This happened probably 3-4 times alone just last week.

I haven't had a random reboot now in 3 days. But, Tuesday-Friday last week it rebooted 3-4 times.

Something definitely was 'amiss'.

We are having same issue. The car has now been in twice. Once for update and last time a module was replaced and now the issue is actually worse. In addition to *channel unavailable* we can*t get some channels at all and get *channel not subscribed*. I paid $147. to Sirius for *all access* and after thorough efforts on the part of Sirius, this is definitely a Mazda issue. We are VERY frustrated. Do we cancel Sirius and try to get a refund? Do we demand Mazda Canada reimburse us for Sirius? It*s a no-win. Don*t know what to do next.

We are having same issue. The car has now been in twice. Once for update and last time a module was replaced and now the issue is actually worse. In addition to *channel unavailable* we can*t get some channels at all and get *channel not subscribed*. I paid $147. to Sirius for *all access* and after thorough efforts on the part of Sirius, this is definitely a Mazda issue. We are VERY frustrated. Do we cancel Sirius and try to get a refund? Do we demand Mazda Canada reimburse us for Sirius? It*s a no-win. Don*t know what to do next.

Its important to know that Mazda does NOT manufacture the SiriusXM module. That is proprietary hardware manufactured by SiriusXM.

I believe the issue is more on the SiriusXM side. I think when they update their hardware remotely sometimes it messes with the Mazda Infotainment system.

We had dozens of people on here 3 weeks ago complaining that for a week or 2, they were having random black screens and reboots (me included) that just.. went away. I haven't had an issue since, apart from channel 100 stuttering whenever I lose signal for a second (it will stutter for the remainder of the time I listen to the channel despite having full signal).

The ONLY component on our Infotainment system that can be updated remotely is the SiriusXM module, and NONE of that data comes from Mazda.. it comes directly from the satellites owned by SiriusXM.

Its important to know that Mazda does NOT manufacture the SiriusXM module. That is proprietary hardware manufactured by SiriusXM.

I believe the issue is more on the SiriusXM side. I think when they update their hardware remotely sometimes it messes with the Mazda Infotainment system.

We had dozens of people on here 3 weeks ago complaining that for a week or 2, they were having random black screens and reboots (me included) that just.. went away. I haven't had an issue since, apart from channel 100 stuttering whenever I lose signal for a second (it will stutter for the remainder of the time I listen to the channel despite having full signal).

The ONLY component on our Infotainment system that can be updated remotely is the SiriusXM module, and NONE of that data comes from Mazda.. it comes directly from the satellites owned by SiriusXM.

The stuttering is not a Mazda unique issue. Used to get it occasionally in my wife's CR-V.
We've had our Reserve for over a month now and only had 2 issues and they were both the Sirius/XM channel unavailable. It puts you in the 300 range and the only channels you can receive is in that range. It clears up the next day. Will talk to Mazda about it when I take it in for first service. I'm not holding my breath that they will have a resolution.

Hi all.. Had an arbitration hearing with Mazda today... BBB has 3 days to render a decision.
What I did find out is there is NOW (as of 9/20/2019) a Technical Information Service Bulletin (TI Number: TI-US210-01-19)
Which covers the issues at the beginning of this tread. It gives guidance to Mazda Service on what information to gather from
the vehicles etc. Basic Claim is that this is a software issue only between Mazda owned hardware / software and SiriusXM owned hardware / software. "the issue is being investigated" No target date for a fix as of 10/2/2019... Thought I would share...

One thing I think may help us all better understand the issue; please let me know your results..

1.) Turn the ignition on
2.) Allow the CMU (InfoSystem) to boot up and play your Sirius XM station
3.) reboot the CMU instructions below
4.) Most of the time the music system will come upon the last select FM station Note: the mute button will need to be pressed to unmute the system from the CMU reboot.
5.) If you try this a few times in a row I can usually get the error message unable to Connect to Sirius XM or Sirius XM channel unavailable...

My persona guess is that when the issue shows up at vehicle start, we are in a race condition between the CMU and the TAU (the SiriusXM Tuner Amplifier Unit).. I personally would love to get feed back from Mazda Engineering but the seem to have a very
effective firewall between them selves and the customers... Just my personal thoughts....

I hope this gets fixed very soon!!!!!

If the Mazda CMU freezes or locks up while driving * or if for any reason you need to reset the CMU * you can reset it without turning off the ignition by pressing the following button combination and holding it for 10 seconds:

BACK + MUTE + NAV

The infotainment screen will go black then display the Mazda logo as the unit finishes rebooting.

The stuttering is not a Mazda unique issue. Used to get it occasionally in my wife's CR-V.
We've had our Reserve for over a month now and only had 2 issues and they were both the Sirius/XM channel unavailable. It puts you in the 300 range and the only channels you can receive is in that range. It clears up the next day. Will talk to Mazda about it when I take it in for first service. I'm not holding my breath that they will have a resolution.

I've had that probably 4-5 times since I got the car in April. Sometimes turning the car off for an hour or so seems to fix it too.

Yeah, they won't have a resolution. I can almost guarantee you. Mazda points at SXM, SXM points at Mazda. lol

Hi all.. Had an arbitration hearing with Mazda today... BBB has 3 days to render a decision.
What I did find out is there is NOW (as of 9/20/2019) a Technical Information Service Bulletin (TI Number: TI-US210-01-19)
Which covers the issues at the beginning of this tread. It gives guidance to Mazda Service on what information to gather from
the vehicles etc. Basic Claim is that this is a software issue only between Mazda owned hardware / software and SiriusXM owned hardware / software. "the issue is being investigated" No target date for a fix as of 10/2/2019... Thought I would share...

One thing I think may help us all better understand the issue; please let me know your results..

1.) Turn the ignition on
2.) Allow the CMU (InfoSystem) to boot up and play your Sirius XM station
3.) reboot the CMU instructions below
4.) Most of the time the music system will come upon the last select FM station Note: the mute button will need to be pressed to unmute the system from the CMU reboot.
5.) If you try this a few times in a row I can usually get the error message unable to Connect to Sirius XM or Sirius XM channel unavailable...

My persona guess is that when the issue shows up at vehicle start, we are in a race condition between the CMU and the TAU (the SiriusXM Tuner Amplifier Unit).. I personally would love to get feed back from Mazda Engineering but the seem to have a very
effective firewall between them selves and the customers... Just my personal thoughts....

I hope this gets fixed very soon!!!!!

If the Mazda CMU freezes or locks up while driving * or if for any reason you need to reset the CMU * you can reset it without turning off the ignition by pressing the following button combination and holding it for 10 seconds:

BACK + MUTE + NAV

The infotainment screen will go black then display the Mazda logo as the unit finishes rebooting.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm glad there's a TSB open for it because it's one of the only things I am not really happy about in my car.

Appreciate it!

Here is my experience with the CMU reboot: it does nothing to the stereo or NAV systems.

I might be wrong. Here's why I say that:

When I reboot, the infotainment screen resets (goes blank then restarts). But the music is not even interrupted. The tune I am listening to continues to play, as though the stereo software is neither unloaded nor reloaded. I've rebooted the CMU several times to fix a bad XM reload, and the music has never been interrupted.

I had an issue with the NAV system not displaying directions on the HUD and the voice directions did not work. I rebooted the CMU and the problem remained. When I decided to pull over to restart the car, I veered slightly away from my planned route and the NAV system "woke up." The voice said "recalculating route" and the directions appeared on the HUD. But the reboot did nothing. It did not reload the NAV system. Both my current route and the problem remained unchanged.

Not to throw cold water on your suggestion (and the suggestions of others I've seen on the CMU reboot), but I have yet to see exactly what that CMU reboot actually reloads. Or am I wrong in expecting the music to be interrupted (if only for a moment) if the stereo system gets unloaded/reloaded? I don't know if others have had different experiences with a reboot.

Thanks for being tenacious on this issue. Glad to hear Mazda acknowledge it and get on the path to a resolution. I agree with you that there is a collision when so many things try to load at once.

As an aside, I'll tell you a goofy thing the sales guy told me when I bought the car as a way to head off my complaints about the infotainment system. He said that his tech instructed him to hold the Start Button down for a full second when starting the vehicle (as opposed to just tapping it) so as to "fully load" they system. That was supposedly to fix his phone connectivity issues.

Here is my experience with the CMU reboot: it does nothing to the stereo or NAV systems.

I might be wrong. Here's why I say that:

When I reboot, the infotainment screen resets (goes blank then restarts). But the music is not even interrupted. The tune I am listening to continues to play, as though the stereo software is neither unloaded nor reloaded. I've rebooted the CMU several times to fix a bad XM reload, and the music has never been interrupted.

I had an issue with the NAV system not displaying directions on the HUD and the voice directions did not work. I rebooted the CMU and the problem remained. When I decided to pull over to restart the car, I veered slightly away from my planned route and the NAV system "woke up." The voice said "recalculating route" and the directions appeared on the HUD. But the reboot did nothing. It did not reload the NAV system. Both my current route and the problem remained unchanged.

Not to throw cold water on your suggestion (and the suggestions of others I've seen on the CMU reboot), but I have yet to see exactly what that CMU reboot actually reloads. Or am I wrong in expecting the music to be interrupted (if only for a moment) if the stereo system gets unloaded/reloaded? I don't know if others have had different experiences with a reboot.

Thanks for being tenacious on this issue. Glad to hear Mazda acknowledge it and get on the path to a resolution. I agree with you that there is a collision when so many things try to load at once.

As an aside, I'll tell you a goofy thing the sales guy told me when I bought the car as a way to head off my complaints about the infotainment system. He said that his tech instructed him to hold the Start Button down for a full second when starting the vehicle (as opposed to just tapping it) so as to "fully load" they system. That was supposedly to fix his phone connectivity issues.

I bet this guy you talk of also thinks the Door Close button on elevators ACTUALLY closes the door earlier than it normally would.

I have a friend who works in the elevator business, and he said some of them do have door close buttons but most of the older ones its just a button with no real purpose. lol

I bet this guy you talk of also thinks the Door Close button on elevators ACTUALLY closes the door earlier than it normally would.

I have a friend who works in the elevator business, and he said some of them do have door close buttons but most of the older ones its just a button with no real purpose. lol

He's a sales guy.

He believes nothing and everything. It depends on the moment.

Picked up my new 2019 signature on Monday. Today I have the *unable to locate channel* (something like that).

Emailed dealership owner. Let*s see what happens.

Picked up my new 2019 signature on Monday. Today I have the *unable to locate channel* (something like that).

Emailed dealership owner. Let*s see what happens.

This is a persistent problem. It will probably be OK tomorrow. Make sure you have the latest firmware version.

Back