Sirius XM issues on a 2019 CX-5 GT

I have the exact same problem with my '19 Reserve.
It's frustrating that it happens so randomly. For the last 2 times, the Sirius Reset signal has fixed it.
Called the dealer today, at first, they tried to blame Sirius, but I had it on a '15 CX-5 without a problem, and I have it on a Corvette I own without a problem.
They didn't like it when I said "Stop saying it's Sirius!"
So, it's going in the shop on Thursday, and they're going to look at it. (or so they say)

Have them update the infotainment system to version .335 if you can. It just came out and fixed a lot of my issues.

I have the exact same problem with my '19 Reserve.
It's frustrating that it happens so randomly. For the last 2 times, the Sirius Reset signal has fixed it.
Called the dealer today, at first, they tried to blame Sirius, but I had it on a '15 CX-5 without a problem, and I have it on a Corvette I own without a problem.
They didn't like it when I said "Stop saying it's Sirius!"
So, it's going in the shop on Thursday, and they're going to look at it. (or so they say)

I've had XM radio since the early days. I still have an old original Delphi unit and have had XM in a couple of vehicles.

The only radio I've ever had an XM issue with has been the CX-5 system.

Had this issue come up with me today, on a 2019 GTR. I am running 335 of the software, but one thing I usually do is plug my phone in during boot-up. I noticed the problem when I tried to use the Siri*sXM Travellink app and noticed it was not there.
Going to test it out later, with waiting for the system to come up fully, before plugging in my phone.

So letting system boot up, before plugging in phone, seemed to work. Siriusxm travellink also started working again too.

Mine was working perfectly fine last night when I parked the car. Turned the car on this morning, and the FM radio came on (which I *never* listen to). When I tried to switch to SiriusXM, I got the same message as you got "Channel unavailable". However, channels 300-306 were there, and were listenable.

Me too. I've had the system boot up two or three times and be on FM which I don't use. I was able to switch to XM immediately but there was one instance in which I was stuck with just the few channels in the 300's. Shut the car off for five minutes and everything was fine on startup. Not going to do anything about it at this point but will start documenting each instance in case it escalates.

Me too. I've had the system boot up two or three times and be on FM which I don't use. I was able to switch to XM immediately but there was one instance in which I was stuck with just the few channels in the 300's. Shut the car off for five minutes and everything was fine on startup. Not going to do anything about it at this point but will start documenting each instance in case it escalates.

Have the dealer do the update. Works like a charm so far for me!

I have had problems with the Sirius since the day I bought my 2019 CX5. It will work fine and then it goes to not working. You need to park it overnight and then it will start to work the next day. I have had it in for service over 7 times. They have replaced everything facet of the Sirius and it still has issues. I even brought it in when it was not working and they could not figure it out. I filed a lemon law action and I am now in the process of trying to get a replacement car or my money back. The Dealer is useless. I have bought 4 Mazdas over the last 10 years and this one broke me. Its Lexus from now on. Everyone from the Dealer to Mazda US has been useless. It has the same symptoms as what everyone else is stating here. The dealer told me that they only had this happen with one other Mazda in VA. The only problem is Im in FL so how does that help me? From what I can see here there are a lot more with this issue.

I have had problems with the Sirius since the day I bought my 2019 CX5. It will work fine and then it goes to not working. You need to park it overnight and then it will start to work the next day. I have had it in for service over 7 times. They have replaced everything facet of the Sirius and it still has issues. I even brought it in when it was not working and they could not figure it out. I filed a lemon law action and I am now in the process of trying to get a replacement car or my money back. The Dealer is useless. I have bought 4 Mazdas over the last 10 years and this one broke me. Its Lexus from now on. Everyone from the Dealer to Mazda US has been useless. It has the same symptoms as what everyone else is stating here. The dealer told me that they only had this happen with one other Mazda in VA. The only problem is Im in FL so how does that help me? From what I can see here there are a lot more with this issue.

I find.. that i have issues with it almost EVERY time if I do not let the entire entertainment system boot up. Like, before I even plug in my phone for Carplay, etc. I just let eveything boot for about 1 min to 1.5 mins, THEN I'll touch the commander knob and move stuff around.

I don't touch the etnertainmetn system at ALL while its booting.

I've had many issues. it seems like the entertainment system is very very sensitive if u do not let it boot.

I find.. that i have issues with it almost EVERY time if I do not let the entire entertainment system boot up. Like, before I even plug in my phone for Carplay, etc. I just let eveything boot for about 1 min to 1.5 mins, THEN I'll touch the commander knob and move stuff around.

I don't touch the etnertainmetn system at ALL while its booting.

I've had many issues. it seems like the entertainment system is very very sensitive if u do not let it boot.

I agree. But even giving it lots of time to load and not turning on my phone's Bluetooth, I have occassional issues with my XM.

And I cannot figure out exactly what the Manual Reboot does. I had an issue where XM did not load at all, so the system reverted to an FM station. I did the Manual Reboot, leaving the radio "not muted." The system rebooted, but the FM music continued uninterrupted the entire time, and XM still did not load.

Manual Reboot does not seem to reload everything. If the Infotainment were reloaded, then I gotta believe I would have lost the radio for at least a brief moment as it were being cleared/reloaded into memory. (And the XM did not load.)

I had a similar experience with a poor load of the the NAV system not being corrected with a Manual Reboot.

It seems that these issues are only cleared up with turning off the engine and doing a cold boot.

I've got the same issues with my 2019 CX-5 GT.. Has happened multiple times. The vehicle has been to Mazda over 4 times and has spent over 20 days in total as they try to work on the issue for me. The SiriusXM radio sub system has been replaced twice, the software has been up dated, and the antenna check out. But I still get the issue. Have had the issue when it's raining and when there has not been rain in weeks (sunny day). I am working with Mazda Customer Experience, the dealership, and Sirius. I will take the vehicle back one more time and if not fixed this time I use the Better Business Bureau as suggested in my Owner's Manual.

I get the unable to connect to SiriusXM message, default to Channel 0 (showing my radio ID), default to Channel 1 (the preview channel) etc.. I have detailed documentation on my issue if that will help you..

I've got the same issues with my 2019 CX-5 GT.. Has happened multiple times. The vehicle has been to Mazda over 4 times and has spent over 20 days in total as they try to work on the issue for me. The SiriusXM radio sub system has been replaced twice, the software has been up dated, and the antenna check out. But I still get the issue. Have had the issue when it's raining and when there has not been rain in weeks (sunny day). I am working with Mazda Customer Experience, the dealership, and Sirius. I will take the vehicle back one more time and if not fixed this time I use the Better Business Bureau as suggested in my Owner's Manual.

I get the unable to connect to SiriusXM message, default to Channel 0 (showing my radio ID), default to Channel 1 (the preview channel) etc.. I have detailed documentation on my issue if that will help you..

That sucks.

I've had XM since the early days, and the only things that have caused a default to Station 0 or Station 1 are the antenna being unconnected or my account somehow being interrupted (or there being some other issue at the point of transmission).

Out of curiosity, have you contacted XM to see if they can offer advice from their end? It might be your account. Maybe.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been in contact with SiriusXM multiple times about the issue.. SiriusXM says the issues is with the vehicle and Mazda has said it' SiriusXM.. When having connectivity issues with the Mazda I have had my 2005 Chevy Colorado next to the Mazda. SiriusXM is working fine on the Colorado but not the Mazda. I know that the vintage of the SiriusXM radio is
not the same so it is not an apples to apples comparison. Having the reset signal sent to the SiriusXM radio does no
always recover the the radio. If the display is on Chanel 0 or 1, a reset signal will work or just tune to the desired XM station. If the display says can not connect, if the ignition is turned off for a few hours and then the vehicle is started the XM radio subsystem will recover either to Channel 0, channel 1 or the last XM station that I was listening to prior to the connectivity issue. With each XM receiver replacement the frequency of the connectivity issue has seemed to improve (less often). If I try to tune to an XM station with the unable to connect to Sirius XM message displayed all
SiriusXM functions are no longer available (Favoites etc are no longer displayed) and the system defaults to FM radio.
After turning the ignition off and waiting several hours at the next vehicle start SiriusXM works.

I am wondering if the message unable to connect to Sirius XM is the vehicle information system unable to connect the the SiriusXM radio subsystem and not an antenna connection to SiriusXM. My thoughts are that there is a race condition on the communications bus between all the components of the vehicle information system. It could be software that needs to try to connect again or a hardware signal quality issue.

That just sucks so horribly much.

I still use my old original Delphi receiver that I have carried between my house, my older cars (using the car adapter) and my office (using dedicated computer speakers) for decades, and can count the number of issues I've had with it on one hand. Likewise the in-dash systems of my S-10 pickup and my current 2005 Canyon. Right now, I pull the fuses from my Canyon because I only drive it about once a month since getting my CX-5 (I've had battery drain issues), and the radio presets are always retained and XM always works. I think XM had to refresh the signal to my Canyon once in the past 15 years...I don't recall what caused the problem.

The XM in my Mazda has failed to load maybe 3 times since March (with the FM default), but an engine restart (not a manual Infotainment reboot) has always brought it back.

It's funny how when XM does not load, the Infotainment system can still decode & play an FM station...it's never a total system failure. (I don't play FM enough to know if FM may not always load). Makes one believe these issues are all caused by the XM software in Mazda's Infotainment system.

I want to say I hope you get it fixed, but after all the swap-outs Mazda had done...

Last edited:
Asking if the others having the issue with the CX-5 GT; do you have the heads up display option on your vehicle?

Asking if the others having the issue with the CX-5 GT; do you have the heads up display option on your vehicle?

The HUD is standard on the GT Reserve and the Signature here in the states. It's an option on the Grand Touring. XM is standard on all 3 trims.

I just looked at Mazda's "Build Your Own," and neither XM nor the HUD are available on the 2019 Sport or Touring trims.

Last edited:
let me rephrase.. Do the vehicles affected have the gt premium package? Mine is a GT with the gt premium package. We have blue tooth connected (just my wife's phone) and are not using apple car play nor plugging in USB devices during boot up. Just trying to figure out if the gt premium package has anything to do with the issue..

We have the GT with no heads-up display. Only 2 phones connected by Bluetooth, no USB. As usual, dealer never heard of the problem but updated the infotainment software. It didn't help. Average occurrence is once/2 weeks

Back