2013~2016 Flapping/clicking under hood

Jelaurer

I just bought a 2015 Mazda cx 5. Clean Carfax. 78,000 miles. I didn't notice anything until after the purchase unfortunately. It doesn't do anything wrong idling or when just starting, but when going 5 mph or faster there's a flapping/clicking under the hood on passenger side. It's completely random. Starts and stops, not constant. And it happens when accelerating or just rolling along.

Toyota dealership I bought it at couldn't find anything wrong, but heard what I was talking about. Took it to mazda dealership, they said it's normal, any of their cars on the lot with this engine do that.

I'm not seeing anyone online saying anything about it, so it doesn't seem "normal" or like many others are experiencing it.

Am I safe to drive? Any input would be very very appreciated :) thank you

It doesn't sound like it's normal to me. My 16 doesn't make any noise under the hood except normal engine sound.
There may be a shield underneath that's moving. You might want to have the entire underneath of the car inspected (preferably on a lift).
Something loose in the rear can bounce the sound around so it appears to be coming from the front when it's actually coming from the rear.
I would look at the exhaust hangers, sometimes they come loose.

Back