2014 CX-5 AC compressor clutch replacement?

taschmidt

Hi there, I have a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the clutch on the ac compressor without removing the whole compressor? I really don't want to have to pay to evacuate it the whole thing!

Thanks,
tim

Hi there, I have a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the clutch on the ac compressor without removing the whole compressor? I really don't want to have to pay to evacuate it the whole thing!

Thanks,
tim

You CAN buy a kit for it. It's like $40. I replaced mine last month. The assembly was jacked, but I was able to buy a used compressor unit for $78. I put it in the recycle bin otherwise I'd take a look for you. However I will say that the space around that pulley area is VERY limited as it's close to the frame.

Thanks,
tim

You can do it on the CR-V so I'd be surprised if you couldn't on the CX-5. They probably use similar A/C systems.

Thanks for the info, @Chris_Top_Her! So where did you see a kit for $40? The best I saw after a brief search was ebay for $120...
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Why didn't the kit work for you?

Apparently the $40 was actually older year mazda kits being mixed in with results. But I didn't even go that route because there are quite a few complete units from LKQ for under $80 on ebay.

How did you make out my clutch make a sequel every time ac in gauges , i changed belt and watched not the belt .

In case anyone else is interested, you can in fact replace the clutch on the compressor without (fully) removing it. The refrigerant lines going to it are fortunately flexible enough that I was able to unbolt the compressor from the engine and move it enough to get at the compressor. Just be careful you don't let the compressor hang by those hoses, obviously you don't want too much tension on those.

Back