2019 Touring CX-5 mpg and what gas?

Good data. Thank you mazdadude. An extra 2.98 HP @ max? rpm. I also agree with you Unobtanium. Ed

For the original poster, I think we nearly all agree here that:

87 octane is just fine, (As it is also recommended by Mazda NA for US market.)
As far as your personal mpg, that will depend on your own variables and usage style. The people whom I see that are most disappointed with mpg, are those who drive a short city route. If you have a lot of 50-65 mph cruising, you can easily exceed the highway mpg rating.

That was not my experience. My CX5 gen 1 never failed to disappoint me in meeting mpg ratings.

... Not going to use it on my SkyActiv-G 2.5L as the engine is not designed to take advantage of higher octane...
(bang)

The engine constantly adjusts for octane/knock yrwei52, and using a higher octane nets higher horsepower, so how then is it not designed to take advantage of it?
Yes the engine constantly adjusts timing for knock, but it'll never exceed maximum horsepower specified with 87-octane gas. In other words, you can't get more horsepower over specified horsepower just because you switched to 93-octane on SA-G 2.5L. Mazda didn't do anything trying to utilize higher octane to have more horsepower on 2.5L but they did take advantage of higher octane gas to boost more horsepower on 2.5T.

AAA's research said the same thing:

AAA PREMIUM FUEL RESEARCH said:
Inquiry #1: Does an engine designed to operate on Regular gasoline produce more horsepower when operated on Premium?
Findings: Maximum Horsepower
The vehicles tested did not produce more horsepower when using Premium gasoline. While some differences were recorded when comparing Regular to Premium fuels, they are very small, and are within the expected differences in run-to-run variation for maximum horsepower testing. The data collected does not support any conclusion that Premium fuel allows a vehicle designed for Regular to produce more maximum horsepower.

FFS...the OP wanted to know if he needed to use higher octane fuel in their NON-TURBO CX-5.

The answer is no.

FFS...the OP wanted to know if he needed to use higher octane fuel in their NON-TURBO CX-5.

The answer is no.

Agreed.

Sorry to go off topic, it is just that I can not stand when people post factually incorrect things.

That is the turbo only. We are referring to the non-turbo which is what all us Gen 1 folks have, as well as any Gen 2 folks who have trims lower than the GT-R.

I know I know replying to an old post. But check this out regarding Octane and Skyactiv-G engines. Study conducted by AAA concludes the Skyactiv-G motor actually does have a HP increase in higher octane. file:///C:/Users/X1/Downloads/Premium-Fuel-REPORT-FINAL.pdf

Page 10 and page 13. Essentially a 2016 Mazda3 with 2.0 engine saw 3HP increase or 2.36%. At that rate a 2.5 engine would see a 4.36 HP increase. There's also a slight increase in mpgs too.

But...they compared 87 vs 93. I don't have access to 93 and plus it would be much much more expensive. I'll likely stick to 89 gas.

All the Shell gas stations (top tier) gas, have been bought out by Speedway here in Tucson. Does anyone have history using Speedway gas? I have read it is not Top Tier, no detergent additives.

All the Shell gas stations (top tier) gas, have been bought out by Speedway here in Tucson. Does anyone have history using Speedway gas? I have read it is not Top Tier, no detergent additives.

Here is a list of top tier brands.

Speedway is not on it.

I don't believe that "not Top Tier" means "No detergent additives." It means that they have not certified that they have been treated with an approved TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline additive at the correct concentration.

Of course, this opens up the debate on whether or not detergent gasolines are all that important in Direct Inject engines.

Speedway is owned by Marathon Oil Co. and Marathon gas is top tier while Speedway isn't. I've run a lot of Marathon gas and had good results from it but I haven't run Speedway in many years. Here in Indiana, Speedway seems to concentrate their advertising on the convenience store features much more than the quality of their gas. I'll pass.

I'm going to run Ethanol-Free 89 for a few tankfuls, since it's available to me. I'll report back in a few days.

[my 1st post. CX-5 is 2 days old]

My daily commute to work is 80miles round trip on highway going about 75-80mph. Ive been getting 31.5-32mpg with 90% highway and 10%city.

Back