Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Touring CX-5 mpg and what gas?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    My 2016 CX-5 AWD gets 25.5 mpg consistently in mostly city driving. I use only 87 octane Shell gas. In our area 93 octane Shell gas usually is 65~75¢ higher per gallon. Not going to use it on my SkyActiv-G 2.5L as the engine is not designed to take advantage of higher octane. Even for 2.5T use 93 octane gas is a waste of money unless you rev you engine over 4,000 rpm most of time.
    I recall us having this conversation already where shadonoz posted the HP/torque curves of each octane rating.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...87#post6637487

Took me a while to find it.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    There is a HP/Torque Curve graph in this thread that compares performance using 87 and 93 octane fuels: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...87#post6637487

It's in Post #33.
    That is the turbo only. We are referring to the non-turbo which is what all us Gen 1 folks have, as well as any Gen 2 folks who have trims lower than the GT-R.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 85k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    Very strange..... Most people I know, see added horsepower and fuel economy as a benefit.
    Except it doesn't really add any of note for the non-turbo vehicle.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Most people will be more than happy to spend 50 bucks on an air filter that claims to give them that extra 5 horsepower.

I did the math it came out to about 7 horsepower difference on the 2.5 normally-aspirated skyactiv when using 93 octane.

Whether it is worth it to the user, depends on personal preference. Saying it does not make a difference, however, is incorrect.
    Why not look at a dyno? Does one exist to compare?

Better yet, only run 1/8th tank. Faster.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I want to see the link that demonstrates that going from 87 to a higher octane results in more HP. Data only accepted. Ed

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Here is the full pdf of the report that has all of the dyno charts and data. http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_r...ORT-FINAL2.pdf
    I can do better by just filling the tank to 1/8th, and that's free.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Good data. Thank you mazdadude. An extra 2.98 HP @ max? rpm. I also agree with you Unobtanium. Ed

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

For the original poster, I think we nearly all agree here that:

87 octane is just fine, (As it is also recommended by Mazda NA for US market.)
    As far as your personal mpg, that will depend on your own variables and usage style. The people whom I see that are most disappointed with mpg, are those who drive a short city route. If you have a lot of 50-65 mph cruising, you can easily exceed the highway mpg rating.
    That was not my experience. My CX5 gen 1 never failed to disappoint me in meeting mpg ratings.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2019 Touring CX-5 mpg and what gas?

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    ... Not going to use it on my SkyActiv-G 2.5L as the engine is not designed to take advantage of higher octane...

The engine constantly adjusts for octane/knock yrwei52, and using a higher octane nets higher horsepower, so how then is it not designed to take advantage of it?
    Yes the engine constantly adjusts timing for knock, but it'll never exceed maximum horsepower specified with 87-octane gas. In other words, you can't get more horsepower over specified horsepower just because you switched to 93-octane on SA-G 2.5L. Mazda didn't do anything trying to utilize higher octane to have more horsepower on 2.5L but they did take advantage of higher octane gas to boost more horsepower on 2.5T.

Here is the full pdf of the report that has all of the dyno charts and data. http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_r...ORT-FINAL2.pdf
    AAA's research said the same thing:

Quote Originally Posted by AAA PREMIUM FUEL RESEARCH
    Inquiry #1: Does an engine designed to operate on Regular gasoline produce more horsepower when operated on Premium?
    Findings: Maximum Horsepower
    The vehicles tested did not produce more horsepower when using Premium gasoline. While some differences were recorded when comparing Regular to Premium fuels, they are very small, and are within the expected differences in run-to-run variation for maximum horsepower testing. The data collected does not support any conclusion that Premium fuel allows a vehicle designed for Regular to produce more maximum horsepower.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

FFS...the OP wanted to know if he needed to use higher octane fuel in their NON-TURBO CX-5.

The answer is no.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    FFS...the OP wanted to know if he needed to use higher octane fuel in their NON-TURBO CX-5.

The answer is no.
    Agreed.

Sorry to go off topic, it is just that I can not stand when people post factually incorrect things.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    That is the turbo only. We are referring to the non-turbo which is what all us Gen 1 folks have, as well as any Gen 2 folks who have trims lower than the GT-R.
    I know I know replying to an old post. But check this out regarding Octane and Skyactiv-G engines. Study conducted by AAA concludes the Skyactiv-G motor actually does have a HP increase in higher octane. file:///C:/Users/X1/Downloads/Premiu...PORT-FINAL.pdf

Page 10 and page 13. Essentially a 2016 Mazda3 with 2.0 engine saw 3HP increase or 2.36%. At that rate a 2.5 engine would see a 4.36 HP increase. There's also a slight increase in mpgs too.

But...they compared 87 vs 93. I don't have access to 93 and plus it would be much much more expensive. I'll likely stick to 89 gas.

Registered Member

All the Shell gas stations (top tier) gas, have been bought out by Speedway here in Tucson. Does anyone have history using Speedway gas? I have read it is not Top Tier, no detergent additives.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by tucsondivot View Post
    All the Shell gas stations (top tier) gas, have been bought out by Speedway here in Tucson. Does anyone have history using Speedway gas? I have read it is not Top Tier, no detergent additives.
    Here is a list of top tier brands.

Speedway is not on it.

I don't believe that "not Top Tier" means "No detergent additives." It means that they have not certified that they have been treated with an approved TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline additive at the correct concentration.

Of course, this opens up the debate on whether or not detergent gasolines are all that important in Direct Inject engines.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Speedway is owned by Marathon Oil Co. and Marathon gas is top tier while Speedway isn't. I've run a lot of Marathon gas and had good results from it but I haven't run Speedway in many years. Here in Indiana, Speedway seems to concentrate their advertising on the convenience store features much more than the quality of their gas. I'll pass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast