2019 Touring CX-5 mpg and what gas?

Hello, I bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package.

What gas should I put in? 87?91?93? I never put in gas yet, but I have to soon.

Also, what is the mpg? Says its 24/30, but what are ur guys experiences? I hope it's better than ford.

Touring is fine with 87 gas.

I get 34 on the highway, 30 combined. Haven't bothered to check exactly how much my city mpg is.

Just use regular 87 for the Touring. Only the 2.5L Turbo in the GT-R and Signature trims benefit from using higher octane gas.

I have a Gen 1 AWD Touring. Highway will typically get 28-30 MPG (depends on terrain), city around 24-25 MPG, and combined about 26.5 MPG.

I use 87 octane in my Touring. I tried 89 & 91 and saw no improvement in performance or mileage. I have no problems meeting and usually exceeding the 24/30 estimates. My average for a dozen tank fulls is 27.6 in all suburban driving with AC on 90%. Don't brother with checking fuel mileage until you get a few thousands miles on your vehicle. The electronics will adapt to your driving style during the first thousands miles or so. Until then, I discovered mileage varies a lot. Ed

The ECU tunes for the octane to the maximum timing curve. If you use higher octane, you will get some more hp and mpg, but never enough to offset the additional cost of the higher octane fuels.

The old 2.0 Skyactiv in the first gen CX-5 got a ~5hp dyno proven increase going to 93octane. The 2.5 skyactiv will see similar % increase, but I have never seen a dyno graph to quote numbers from for the 2.5.

Also you need to factor in when switching octanes, that it will take 3-4 tanks for your gas tank's octane to match what you got from the pump. This is because when your range = 0, and you fill up with some 91-93, you will also still have 2~ gallons of the old fuel remaining in the tank, resulting in making a blended octane. So you cannot expect to feel the differences in one tank unfortunately.

I run a few gallons of 98 octane in when I tested my vehicle with 93 octane, to balance that. (FWIW, I saw no change in 0-60 times with 91 vs 93 octane on the turbo).

My 2.5 NA motor, I ran 87 on and it did fine.

Ok, so I am wrong, but as you say never enough performance change to justify the cost difference.

Use 87.

Agreed, that is all I use, I just try to stay away from fuel that has ethanol added.
Hard to find. I've instead just opted for top tier. I do know of one ethanol free gas station, but between ethanol free vs top tier, not sure which way to go.

Hard to find. I've instead just opted for top tier. I do know of one ethanol free gas station, but between ethanol free vs top tier, not sure which way to go.

Hmmm.. ethanol free vs. top tier, I think I'd go top tier for the detergents. But I suppose it would also depend on the brand of the ethanol free fuel. At that point I think I'd be going too far down the rabbit hole though.

Hmmm.. ethanol free vs. top tier, I think I'd go top tier for the detergents. But I suppose it would also depend on the brand of the ethanol free fuel. At that point I think I'd be going too far down the rabbit hole though.

I go TT, when forced to pick between the two.

No matter if it is the Skyactiv Turbo, or the normal 2.5, the ECU tunes for the octane to the maximum timing curve. If you use higher octane, you will get some more hp and mpg, but never enough to offset the additional cost of the higher octane fuels.

***Sight thread hijack to discuss octane and my 2.5L turbo, since you mentioned that buying mileage is not cost-effective***

I only have had 4 tanks of gas through my CX5 Reserve (2.5L turbo), and the limited data so far indicates 93 octane gives me a few more mpg than 87. When I calculate the relative costs of a 300 mile trip (roughly a tank of gas) at today's gas prices and each octane's mpg, 93 costs an extra $2.27 for that trip. (This spread remains pretty consistent when prices fluctuate.) So for the extra performance, I run 93 octane. And as you say, my gas is blended from switching octanes, so perhaps mileage will increase (and the cost gap will narrow) in a few consecutive tanks of 93.

The Mazda 2.5L turbo spec sheets indicate that an extra 23 HP @ 5,000 rpm is achieved by burning 93 octane versus 87, but no mileage differences are published for each octane, just 22/27 overall. There is no published data (HP or MPG) for octane higher than 93 that I have found. I have not tried anything higher than 93 yet, nor have I tried 91.

Of course, a few tanks is very little data. But so far, mpg for the current tank of 93 octane is consistent with my historical data (25.5 mpg versus 23.0 mpg for 87). This is with little-to-no highway (70 mph) driving, but I rarely drive under 45mph, all on winding hilly country roads. Lots of speed variation and hill climbing but little stop & go; to wit, my bank is 16 miles away and there are only 2 stop signs along the way.

Last edited:
My 2016 CX-5 AWD gets 25.5 mpg consistently in mostly city driving. I use only 87 octane Shell gas. In our area 93 octane Shell gas usually is 65~75 higher per gallon. Not going to use it on my SkyActiv-G 2.5L as the engine is not designed to take advantage of higher octane. Even for 2.5T use 93 octane gas is a waste of money unless you rev you engine over 4,000 rpm most of time.

(bang)

The engine constantly adjusts for octane/knock yrwei52, and using a higher octane nets higher horsepower, so how then is it not designed to take advantage of it?
With a tune, sure. As is, don't think butt dyno is going to detect a difference of 5 hp or whatever.

(bang)

The engine constantly adjusts for octane/knock yrwei52, and using a higher octane nets higher horsepower, so how then is it not designed to take advantage of it?

He worded it funny. It is designed to run on 87 octane and there is no benefit by using higher octane.

My 2016 CX-5 AWD gets 25.5 mpg consistently in mostly city driving. I use only 87 octane Shell gas. In our area 93 octane Shell gas usually is 65~75 higher per gallon. Not going to use it on my SkyActiv-G 2.5L as the engine is not designed to take advantage of higher octane. Even for 2.5T use 93 octane gas is a waste of money unless you rev you engine over 4,000 rpm most of time.

I recall us having this conversation already where shadonoz posted the HP/torque curves of each octane rating.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ow-smoke-up-my-tailpipe&p=6637487#post6637487

Took me a while to find it.

Most people will be more than happy to spend 50 bucks on an air filter that claims to give them that extra 5 horsepower.

I did the math it came out to about 7 horsepower difference on the 2.5 normally-aspirated skyactiv when using 93 octane.

Whether it is worth it to the user, depends on personal preference. Saying it does not make a difference, however, is incorrect.

Why not look at a dyno? Does one exist to compare?

Better yet, only run 1/8th tank. Faster.

I want to see the link that demonstrates that going from 87 to a higher octane results in more HP. Data only accepted. Ed

Back