2013~2016 CX-5 Electrical Issues

Setarcos

My girlfriend's 2013 CX5 is having some issues. When she goes to start the car she often has a difficult time pressing the brake pedal in like the power brakes have gone out. Then the ignition button either turns red or yellow and won't start. When it does start she gets 4 warnings on the dash intermittently: traction control light, master warning light, check engine light, and low tire pressure light. She has also had issues with putting the car into gear, she sometimes cant move the shifter.

I had the battery checked at an auto parts store and they said it was good. There was a very small amount of corrosion on the negative terminal, but I sprayed it with some battery cleaner and used a wire brush. That did not help, she still has the same issues. It's been happening for about 2 weeks now.

Reading through the forums it seems like it's a brake switch gone bad, a shifter sensor gone bad, or both. These seem to be 2 somewhat common problems with this car. Can I fix it myself? How much will a dealer charge? Is there anything else I should look at as a cause? Is there a tutorial for either of these replacements? Thanks for any help guys.

My girlfriend's 2013 CX5 is having some issues. When she goes to start the car she often has a difficult time pressing the brake pedal in like the power brakes have gone out. Then the ignition button either turns red or yellow and won't start. When it does start she gets 4 warnings on the dash intermittently: traction control light, master warning light, check engine light, and low tire pressure light. She has also had issues with putting the car into gear, she sometimes cant move the shifter.

I had the battery checked at an auto parts store and they said it was good. There was a very small amount of corrosion on the negative terminal, but I sprayed it with some battery cleaner and used a wire brush. That did not help, she still has the same issues. It's been happening for about 2 weeks now.

Reading through the forums it seems like it's a brake switch gone bad, a shifter sensor gone bad, or both. These seem to be 2 somewhat common problems with this car. Can I fix it myself? How much will a dealer charge? Is there anything else I should look at as a cause? Is there a tutorial for either of these replacements? Thanks for any help guys.

Both issues sound like they point to the very common brake pedal switch. If you have some basic skills, you can swap yourself.

I will definitely look into replacing the brake light switch and see if it fixes it. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced with the switch to solve this issue? Wiring or anything? Thanks.

Regarding your comment on the shifter switch, it would only need to be replaced if you shifted back into park after a drive and it doesn't turn off all the way (goes into accessory mode instead). If that's not happening, I don't think your shifter switch needs replacing.

Back