Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ...lock all doors from outside while engine is running (2019 CX-9)

Registered Member

There is a good thread on this forum about installing the fortin remote start. it is not complicated at all and you can do it yourself. i donít own one yet (will do before winter hit).

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by youri View Post
    There is a good thread on this forum about installing the fortin remote start. it is not complicated at all and you can do it yourself. i don*t own one yet (will do before winter hit).
    If you're getting remote start in hopes of warming your car up when it's cold out, don't waste your $$. The 2nd gen CX-9 (and some other Mazdas) do not circulate coolant through the heater core until RPMs are above a certain threshold, meaning the car will not blow warm air if it is just sitting in Park.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by greggmischenko View Post
    If you're getting remote start in hopes of warming your car up when it's cold out, don't waste your $$. The 2nd gen CX-9 (and some other Mazdas) do not circulate coolant through the heater core until RPMs are above a certain threshold, meaning the car will not blow warm air if it is just sitting in Park.
    This is partially false (at least in my experience). The car itself will warm up just fine, though starting it and leaving it to idle to warm up the engine puts unnecessary wear on the engine (better to start it up and start driving). The HVAC will blow warm air, but it will not blow hot air. Don't expect to open the door and feel like you're entering a sauna. When you put the car in gear and start driving it, the cabin heats up quite quickly.

I have tested this myself on my 2018. Results in this thread.

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    This is partially false (at least in my experience). The car itself will warm up just fine, though starting it and leaving it to idle to warm up the engine puts unnecessary wear on the engine (better to start it up and start driving). The HVAC will blow warm air, but it will not blow hot air. Don't expect to open the door and feel like you're entering a sauna. When you put the car in gear and start driving it, the cabin heats up quite quickly.

I have tested this myself on my 2018. Results in this thread.
    I read and had posted in that thread and I believe that there may be a difference between Canadian and US market cars. I agree, the engine warms up fine, but the way the HVAC system is designed results in the car not blowing hot air into the cabin while the car is in Park, even if the engine is fully up to operating temperature.

I tested my CX-9 and my wife's VW Tiguan side by side this past winter on a 0*F day and the VW was blowing hot air within 5-7 minutes with the cabin seemingly fully warmed up in about 10 minutes total. At 10 minutes, my CX-9 still had the low engine temp light on and was blowing barely lukewarm air at best, with the cabin still extremely cold.

I don't think this is a fluke as several other US owners can attest and this is the official response from Mazda (according to a poster in a different thread): The vehicle has a coolant control valve for emissions, which is closed at idle. If the car is left on a driveway idling, then it will not demist as no hot coolant is circulated to the heater. This is normal operation of the vehicle.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

This all sounds like another great reason to install an electric engine heater. If an electric receptacle is available, an electric engine heater will have the engine warm ready for your drive, it'll save gas when you first drive off (cold engine operation wastes gasoline), it'll reduce engine emissions from a cold engine, and engine wear will be reduced during those cold minutes. In really frigid regions put electric heat under the battery and transmission as well.

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

get the compustar remote starter...
    there is a harness kit made for Mazda's.
    Works very well, app is available for your phone and smart watch.
    You can also remote start with the oem key fob if you do not want to pay monthly for the unlimited range.

car does not turn off when you open the door, and to take over, all you do is press the brakes within 45 secs of opening the door, no need to press the push start button

https://www.compustar.com/systems/ma...-start-system/

hope that helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12